Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be a bad thing to use VP Racing fuel in my piggy? I have heard several opinions but I was hoping I could get some honest feed back from someone who has used it. Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the risk of catch some mad squid comments, whats the difference and what is recommended? Please be gentle.:D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Oxygenated fuels contain, what else?, an higher percentage of oxygen than pump gas allowing it to "burn better". This translates in better performances, period. Think adding a handful of ponies without touching anything: ignition timing, fueling, compression ratio... all stock. Fiddle with the bike settings the handful will become a substantial gain.
Of course there are one or two drawbacks.
The first is the price. This stuff is about four-five time more expensive than premium pump gas, maybe more now that refined products prices are on the rise.
The second is maintenance. While VP maintains their latest products (M8-1, MR12 etc) are quite stable, I wouldn't risk leaving that stuff in the tank after use. Normal practice is to drain the remaining oxygenated fuel at the end of the track day, pour in some regular unleaded and run the engine a bit to flush out any racing fuel that's left.
If you can live with high prices and remember to flush the fuel system after each use there are no drawbacks.

Non-oxygenated race fuels, like the VP C12, aren't worth the hassle. They are engineered to be used in high compression engines (12,5-15:1 CR). How many SP's run that CR? ;)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
So DSP2 , SHELL in Canada calls all its fuels " oxygenated . " Do you think this is hype or does the fuel perform better ? I use their 91 octane (which is the highest they offer here) in various bikes even if the higher octane isn't required b/c it's the only fuel available without ethanol .

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
VP and some of the other fuel companies have expanded the product line since the info from above.. I got a couple mixes custom blended for me by xXx fuels.. One of which was awesome, but as explained on the Rogue site, had to drain it after the weekend, and it was pricey..$12-$15 bucks a gallon. :eek:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
So DSP2 , SHELL in Canada calls all its fuels " oxygenated . " Do you think this is hype or does the fuel perform better ? I use their 91 octane (which is the highest they offer here) in various bikes even if the higher octane isn't required b/c it's the only fuel available without ethanol .
It depends upon who does the marketing. A bit like car companies advertising their vehicle as "ABS equipped" when ABS became mandatory.
All commercial gasoline contains about 2-5% oxygen in weight, mostly coming from MTBE, ETBE and/or ethanol. I've heard about some companies trying to sell E90 or E85 as "oxygenated fuel": technically speaking it surely contains more oxygen than regular gasoline but it also leaves the door open to easy criticism for "bait and switch" marketing tactics.
Leaving my rants aside it could Shell is unifying the fuels it sells in North America: in some areas of the US "oxygenated gasoline" (meaning gasoline containing over 2% oxygen in weight) is already mandatory.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Unless you are running substantially higher than stock compression, or crazy advanced on the ignition, the only gains will be ego, having cans of race gas in yer garage. In fact, with a stock motor, you'll probably have LESS HP than with standard premium pump gas. :woot:

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
when will people learn that the number is just a number not an indication of quality, rather an indication of difference. higher octane is different, not better. no more than purple is better than yellow.

further I believe it's been well documented that you tend to loose power on an internally stock engine(boltons aside)or without a way to advance timing. if you wanna go faster, ride better. if you wanna piss away money go for it. if you are racing and need every competitive advantage then you probably already know the answer to that question.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
True of course that paying extra for higher octane is a waste if your machine doesn't have the comp that requires it , but unfortunately around here the only fuel w/o ethanol is the highest octane SHELL 91 , and I don't want ethanol !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts