Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an inquiry:
Is anyone running the Vortex Sprockets on the RC51. Mine is a 2004 and just do some spirited street riding with it. Just wondering if they were any good.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
530 or 520 series?
Is it Heat Treated?... If so you'll be fine IF Not and You ride with a heavy hand (WHO Doesn't;) ) Then she'll wear quickly.

I Hope this helps,

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
That'll buff out.

I really can't see a reason for anyone who isn't racing to run an aluminum sprocket (or a 520 kit for that matter). The weight advantage is minimal at best. Also, it is close to the axle, so it is not doing that much good. Just get a good steel rear sprocket, it will cost 1/2 as much and last 2x as long.

It's just another one of the situations where people see/hear/read about how they need something and how awesome it is and what it will do for them. They go spend money on it and their mind will trick them into thinking it has made a larger difference than it actually has. If you are told that something will cause your bike to be faster, you do it and the next thing you know you are running around grabbing fistfuls of throttle all day. Of course it will seem faster.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been running a Vortex F5 530 on the rear for two years now as my Marchesini wheels don't use OEM sprockets.
I check it every time I clean the chain and replace the rear tire.
Hardly any wear after two years.
If I look close I can see a hint of wear at a tooth base. But nothing requiring replacement after thousands of miles of daily use.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
ICE does provide 100% grip and the sprocket in the picture got loose on a freinds 450, but I have seen more than one broken vortex sprocket at trackdays and races in the pits and so-on. I think they are un-safe the wear might be acceptable but fatigue cracking is what I have seen first hand.:twocents

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone....I think I am just going to go with the sprocket set and hain that Kyle USA has fir sale.

On another note....any of you have problems with chain grease....no matter how much I wipe down the chain and clean it, everytime I ride i get grease all over the rear section of the bike and down the fairing and kick stand. Its annoying. Any tips?

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
On another note....any of you have problems with chain grease....no matter how much I wipe down the chain and clean it, everytime I ride i get grease all over the rear section of the bike and down the fairing and kick stand. Its annoying. Any tips?

:eek: Sounds like the "FLUX Capacitor" has got a leak! :p

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Thanks everyone....I think I am just going to go with the sprocket set and hain that Kyle USA has fir sale.

Yeah , most people are paranoid/anal and use too much lube (after every ride ! ) . Use a good non-fling lube (Honda brand is crap IMO , BelRay is better) sparingly every 500 miles when the chain is hot , then let the bike sit for a while . Remember that an O-ring chains is internally oiled and the primary reason for applying lube is to prevent rust and save sprockets .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like nomo said, apply the lube when the chain is hot, wipe it, then let it cool down. This is the way I've always done it on my bikes and quads and never had any splatter.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My brother has a Renthal alu rear sprocket on his 1000RR- After almost 10000 miles no noticeable wear marks.
I have to use alu sprockets on my OZ wheels (they use the same carrier pattern as Marchesini so same problems as SubSailor). Braking provided me with a Sunstar one and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

On the issue of grease you are likely to hear as many opinions as when asking for oil or tyre tips. All I can say is find the right product for you.
Castrol chain lube is the worst thing you can find on the market. It's good fouling your bike and little else. Personally I've been very happy with the genuine DID stuff but it's got so insanely expensive that I switched to Motul. Almost as good and almost half the price so I am happy with it.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
My brother has a Renthal alu rear sprocket on his 1000RR- After almost 10000 miles no noticeable wear marks.
I have to use alu sprockets on my OZ wheels (they use the same carrier pattern as Marchesini so same problems as SubSailor). Braking provided me with a Sunstar one and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

On the issue of grease you are likely to hear as many opinions as when asking for oil or tyre tips. All I can say is find the right product for you.
quote]

Hey DesperateSP2, Your brothers Renthal sprocket is hard anodized , which is why it IS lasting.;)

And to Those Who Need this Info.,

The Aluminum sprocket(s) that You want IF you're buying aluminum IS.... "hard anodized" PERIOD..
AFAM and Rethal sprockets are hard anodized , which is why They WILL Last a good long time "530 series".
These 2 Companies, as far as I know, they do NOT even offer Aluminum sprockets, which have NOT been hard anodized! That should tell you all something right there.;)

A few other Co. out there don't even carry or offer "hard anodized" aluminum sprockets, which is why they SUCK!

Hey nomo,.. I don't know what Honda chain lube you've tried but YEARS ago,> Mike\LDH told us about "Repsol" chain lube and I have been using it ever since! Clean up is way better too, then ALL the others I have tried in the pass.Thanks LDH If you see this.:rockon

One other thing before I go, about My comments here, with how good "hard anodized aluminum sprockets" are... even though these sprockets are "hard anodized"... IF you don't take care of your shit, They will wear faster then normal, just like Steel sprockets will!

Again, I hope this helps...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use DuPont's Multi-Use Teflon spray (blue can) and I've got barely any fling after it's been applied to the hot chain and it cools down for an hour or two. Good stuff. They also have a yellow can (Chain Saver I think) which is a little thicker but does the same job.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Thanks Mav , I'll try to find the Repsol . The Honda lube I tried (and still have a full can b/c it flings too easily) is their O-ring variety , sprays as a gold gloop , worthless .

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Honda clear... got a free can once but it was clear so I couldn't tell if it splatterd or not :wacky

Repsol good shit easy to find cheap been running it for a looong time:twocents

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I really can't see a reason for anyone who isn't racing to run an aluminum sprocket (or a 520 kit for that matter). The weight advantage is minimal at best. Also, it is close to the axle, so it is not doing that much good. Just get a good steel rear sprocket, it will cost 1/2 as much and last 2x as long.

It's just another one of the situations where people see/hear/read about how they need something and how awesome it is and what it will do for them. They go spend money on it and their mind will trick them into thinking it has made a larger difference than it actually has. If you are told that something will cause your bike to be faster, you do it and the next thing you know you are running around grabbing fistfuls of throttle all day. Of course it will seem faster.

I agree that placebo effect greatly influences the minds of the vast majority of riders. After all these are the same people that have to read motorcycle magazines like the bible because they lack the experience to form an opinion on their own...

Having said that when you switch to a 520 conversion kit with aluminum sprockets you are saving about 4lbs of rotating mass compared to a stock 530 chain & steel sprocket set-up. That is A LOT of weight when it comes to gyroscopic precession and you can feel the difference as well as see it on the dyno.

Vortex sprockets are cheap shit and always have been. Even their newer ones that are hard anodized are still crappy.

Renthal sprockets are expensive shit

The best on the market is the older AFAM sprockets that were hard anodized in the gray color with the teflon impregnation, but they are getting very difficult to find. The newer AFAM stuff hard anodized in Black or the Greenish color are still way better than most, but they don't wear as good as the grey ones did

For chains I've been using the DID ERV3 520 chain for years. It is the strongest, lightest 520 chain I have used and it holds up better than anything else on the market. I've used it on my RC51, GSXR K5, both 1000RR's including one with 14,000 Track Only miles on the same chain.

DID has recently come out with a brand new ZVM-X 520 chain that is rated to 1200cc's by their standards and is hailed as a "street" chain instead of a racing chain. It only weighs .3 of a lb more than the ERV3 520 and while I haven't actually used it I have sold a bunch of them and all the reports are coming back positive although it is too early to really get the full scoop on such a new product.

Oh & we weighed a Stealth Sprocket the other day in the 530 size & it weighed more than the OEM Steel Sprocket!!!! Totally ghey if you ask me to spend that kind of money to decrease the performance of your bike...

Mike\LDH told us about "Repsol" chain lube and I have been using it ever since! Clean up is way better too, then ALL the others I have tried in the pass.Thanks LDH If you see this.:rockon

Cheers bro!

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Hey LDH,

I am glad to see what you wrote about "Stealth Sprocket" and it's weight!
Because (I didn't report my findings at the time) BUT when I weighted my 42 tooth "Stealth Sprocket" 530 series, I was really kinda PISSED (False advertisement) 42 tooth and it's even Heavier then my bigger 43 tooth all Steel sprocket!:banghead
But, as another member stated> it does look nice, & I'll give them that.:rolleyes: Hahahahaha

Peace Jeff

PS. I fixed my "heat treat" comments in previous reply, to the correct processes of "hard anodized" Thanks Mike ;)

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Oh & we weighed a Stealth Sprocket the other day in the 530 size & it weighed more than the OEM Steel Sprocket!!!! Totally ghey if you ask me to spend that kind of money to decrease the performance of your bike...

Cheers bro!

Well I hope the two 520 stealths (One for stock rim one for marchis') I bought from you weigh in better :rolleyes:

Mike, i kid i kid...but do you have time to answer the weight question 520 steath V.S. 520 stock V.S. 520 aluminum :confused:

Durability has gotta be ten fold with steel agreed ?
and with that chain life on steel has gotta be extended as well.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Well I hope the two 520 stealths (One for stock rim one for marchis') I bought from you weigh in better :rolleyes:

Mike, i kid i kid...but do you have time to answer the weight question 520 steath V.S. 520 stock V.S. 520 aluminum :confused:

Durability has gotta be ten fold with steel agreed ?
and with that chain life on steel has gotta be extended as well.

Hey Tom,

I know you directed your question to Mike but I'll tell you My experience with a AFAM 520 series, on my 1994 CBR900RR, I Never had one last
any longer then 8,000+ and Die as low as 5,000 miles. I tried them 2 times and that was enough for me.;)

Now, on the other hand, I've had 530 Series AFAM on my CBR900RR go 29,000+ miles!

One last thing to think about is.... I also have NOT tried a 520 series anything in 11 years! But, why would I, I'm a street riding machine.:cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts