Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am basically wondering if this is even legal. My local dealer said that if I didnt use Honda brand oil and filter when doing my service, my warranty would be void. This doesnt seem fair. I would like to use Spectro Gold full synthetic, but because of this issue I had to use Honda Synthetic blend. All the tests that I have read show honda oil to be the lowest quality crap on the market. Not to mention the ass-raping you take on the price. I have asked several people and most say that it isnt legal, but one of my friends said he had the same issue with his dodge truck. They said if he didnt use a certain oil (shell I think) and a certain filter that his warranty would be void. And last but not least to compound the problem, if you read the owners manual from Honda, it clearly states to use Honda or equivilant oil.

So has anyone ever had any experience with this. Oh, btw, I asked him how they would even know what oil I was using and he said that if there was an issue I would have to produce some sort of proof that I had purchased the honda oil and filter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (JetInspector)

correct. basically, the Act states that dealers or manufactures can not void a motor vehicle warranty if you use other oil, filters, spark plugs, etc, as long as they're applicable and are made for that vehicle. the only way the dealer can mandate that you use their oil and filters, as stated in the Act, is if they provide them to you for free. a fatter chance than Rosie O'Donnell's cottage cheesy, tuna-town, lintball filled ass.

Google it up and print it out. Hand a copy to your dealership and then ask if they'd like to speak to your lawyer. My guess is no....probably not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Rigor)

i used to work at a dodge dealership....as a warranty tech... the factory will cover just about anything.... the dealer usually pushes the warranaty stuff through even if they did make the customer pay. most of the time customers dont know anybetter... therefore just pay the bill.

being informed can save you time and time again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (twotone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twotone »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just make sure you keep documentation of your oil changes </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I do. I always use the Honda OEM oil filter, which I buy where I bought the bike, and I get a motorcycle specific synthetic from one of my parts suppliers @ work for FAR FAR cheaper than I could hope to get retail. Still have all the reciepts, in the same file with all my extended warranty paperwork.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call Honda customer relations. The telephone number is inside your warranty guide. Tell them exactly what you were told, by whom, and when. You WILL get action.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Voided Warranty for use of non honda oil? (lokar)

Honda of Alcoa? If so it wouldn't surprise me, the bunch of useless bastards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts