Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, doing my first VIR North track day on Sept 5th. The VA boys helped me alot with my first Summit Track day. I was hoping you could give me to tips and pointers for VIR North. Ive watched numerous on bike videos and of course the AMA races. Are there any turns that catch riders and the RC out? How is it on tires? Im running Michelin H2's that have 2 days at Summit main on them. I know they are kinda old tires and everyone bitches about the front being a marble but they felt good to me. They werent moving or sliding around at Summit so Im hoping VIR will be kind to me.

Thanks in advance

Ian

·
Tough Crowd Racing #167
1,374 Posts
Most of the turns at VIR are decreasing radius so be carefull there. Turn 4 can get in your head because its over 90deg and the pavement changes but the grip is there, just trust it. T7 can bite you going up the hill just be gentle on the gas or you'll lose the rear when your suspension unloads at the top of the hill( I highsided there) 10-13 you can rock on the throttle even though 12 is blind you can haul the mail through there. Carefull into 14 as it rips right and down hill and the pavement looks all choppy but once again the grip is there. Start a hard drive down the rollercoaster into 15 let your line fade out and bring it back in right on the gator before throwing it on its right side into 17 all the way out the the gator and then bring it right in along the inside curbing driving onthe the front strait. it may seem bumpy throught 17 but there is about a 2 foot section right on the curbing that is smooth and you can ripp out of 17. fade out a little into the kink and keep the throttle pinned all the way to the #6 brake marker and the grab a huge handfull going into 1.

Yeah, its my fovorite track. That place rocks

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rookie,

Thanks for your insight!

Thanks again and I will post some pics when I get back.

Ian

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You can follow Darin's advice to a T or just do what I do, which is the same as Darin, except a heck of a lot slower and still have fun.;)

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
VIR North

I rode VIR North in April, and I loved it. Remember the end of the straight is tricky, watch on the left for the braking markers and you should begin braking on marker #6 until you feel comfortable coming into that double apex turn. Once you get used to it, you'll enjoy that area of the track, I know I did. There are also lots of different lines into turn #1, its a wide and forgiving area.

Watch the transitions at turns 4-5. Very quick transition area.

Also there's a tricky right hand off-camber turn on the back end coming downhill that you should get used to before hitting too hard. It's the first downhill right turn. Optically its tricky, but once again, get used to it and you'll enjoy it later in the day.

My tires were no concern there since it's a long course and they did not get too hot. I ran VIR patriot the day before and that's a tight multi-tun course for a 1000cc bike, and the tires get a workout there. The North course is a pleasure to ride and it's in great shape.

Enjoy.
Ken

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken and Darin,

Thanks alot for the info. I too rode the Patriot and was wupped! I had to sit out for the last sessions cuz I was really screwing things up the previous session. I was also on my 98 VFR800, 550lbs of solid suck on the track. Everyone talks about the RC being a pig. Try riding a VFR on a 1.1 mile course with no straight at all. The Patriot also toasted a new set of Pirelli Corsas in one day. That is why I was worried about tire wear on the north course. Im just gonna let my Michelin H2's run and if they start get nice and greasy I will spoon on a new set of Pirelli's during the lunch hour. I dont have the money but hey thats why they have revolving credit right?

Thanks
ian

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
tire wear

Don't concern yourself with tire wear on the North course at VIR. If you start the day with good rubber, it'll last the day. The tires will not wear so aggressively as on the Patriot. I started the day with a new set of Dunlop 208's on the Patriot, did the second day on the North course and three more track days on Pocono FUSA course before ditching my tires for Michelin Pilots on my RC51.

The long courses are great for having your tires last longer than three days. At 2.5 miles, the North course is plenty long.

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts