Speedzilla Forums banner

Video clips & report from Round 1 of the AMA Supermoto Season

845 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Well, what a weekend! Rode the KTM 625 SMC 825 miles round trip to & from Road America and around the track and ON the big track (we did the Salute to Cycles Parade/Tour and got 4 or 5 laps on the track on Saturday), and I thought I'd share a little of our experience.

We went down to an early Superbikers2 race weekend 3 or 4 years ago. That was pretty damn cool. This weekend, though, was unbelievable! An AMA National event, right at Road America! We paid the $10 paddock fee (best $10 we spent all weekend!) and wandered around the pits for a while drooling over all the parts & pieces on all the different bikes. We watched some action on the big track, too, but came back to the Briggs & Stratton Motorplex for the main events. It just started spitting rain as the Superpole Competition took off. At this point we were on top of the hill, overlooking the entire B&S track, as well as the "Hurry Downs" on the big track. Thierry van den Bosch was there, to our surprise, and went last in the Superpole because he had the fastest qualifying time. He lost the front end right in front of us, just as he was about to hit the dirt section. Bummer. The bike was still running, so he jumped on and went like a madman through the rest of the course, but it wasn't enough for pole. By the time it was time to go racing, it was raining, so they decided to not run the dirt section or the Urbancross ramps. We went down the side of the track between turns 3 & 4 (I think-we were just below the top hairpin turn). It got to the point when it was an absolute downpour, but the race went on. Thierry put on an amazing display in the rain to win Race 1.

The 250's (aka Supermoto Lites) were up next, with Mark Burkhart putting on an awesome show to win start to finish. Then the Unlimited class ran, still in the rain, with Baffeleuf winning and two Huskys on the podium along side! Pretty cool!

For Race 2, the rain stopped, and the track was getting dry. VDB, Doug Henry, Jurgen Kunzel and Jeff Ward took off and left everyone else in the dust (well, in the mist, anyway). For 16 laps they ran nose to tail. Anyone of the 4 could have won had they been in the front. Those 4 were amazing! We missed the last-lap, last-turn pass for the win, but Henry was absolutely stoked to get the win! He even took a Victory lap with the checkered flag. As he rode past us, I could hear him yelling as loudly as all the fans were!

The crowd was pretty light up on top of the hill, and there were too many goofballs on little pits bikes running around, practically mowing down the crowd left & right, but I have to think it was considered a huge success! I can't wait for next year!

2 short clips, video only. The first is Thierry van den Bosch in the rain during the first race, and the second is the start of the first-ever AMA Supermoto Lite race, with Mark Burkhart (#6) in the lead. It's too bad there's no audio, we were only 10 feet from the track, and it was wild!

Thierry.mov, 2.9 MB

Lite.mov, 8.2 MB

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Video clips & report from Round 1 of the AMA Supermoto Season (Gerg)

I wish I could have made it over there, but I had to work last night. Doug Henry is amazing, he should be racing in World Supermoto. I wish they wouldn't have moved the race weekend to the beginning of June, it was better for me when it was at the end of June.

Got anymore video?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.