Discussion Starter #1
This is what happened in search of better looks and weight reduction :banghead
Gear was stuck in 3th so no probs gettin home.....:woot:

Attachments

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Omg-LOL... How in the World were YOU able to FIND the friggin' shifter!:clapper

Yeah atleats it IS a Cheap part and I'd say redrill ALL the same holes except for the hole that broke. :p ;)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Honestly, how much weight did those holes save in an aluminum part?

Just take a **** before you ride, probably saves far more and you can always get home.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, how much weight did those holes save in an aluminum part?

Just take a **** before you ride, probably saves far more and you can always get home.
I would say the best of both worlds together !, **** ing and vfr shiftlever weight reduction mod.:woot:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Omg-LOL... How in the World were YOU able to FIND the friggin' shifter!:clapper

Yeah atleats it IS a Cheap part and I'd say redrill ALL the same holes except for the hole that broke. :p ;)
The lever didn't break in one time, it first bended away(after a bumpy road) before the point of breaking.
But no more reverse shifting for me, i like the traditional shifting more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
But no more reverse shifting for me, i like the traditional shifting more.
I'm almost to the point of wanting to go to reverse shifting over traditional shifting. I end up with more shifts into neutral than 2nd then I like to have because, to me, lifting my foot up to shift up while under power seems weak. Seems more natural to press down under load.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
^ I hear ya . You can move your shifter down a little , or place a rubber sleeve over the end of the shifter (even 1/8 inch thick yields better shifts) , or you'd be surprised how much difference a riding shoe which is more flexible at the ankle makes . Like many other bikes , the shift into 2nd on the RC51 feels like a longer distance . Or go to reverse shift .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Heh, good to know I wasn't the only having this issue from time to time! Thanks for the info! I can stand to move the lever down a bit yet. I do have a shift skin on the shifter so it doesn't scuff up my boots/shoes (I ride it to work some days), but that clearly didn't make a difference so far!

If that still doesn't do the trick I'll get a VFR lever and go the reverse route.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a personal thing, just buy a vfr or blackbird shifter and give it a try, its a really cheap part so if it's not "the thing" for you just throw it away, or do the weight reduction mod. with it. The only disadvantage of the vfr shifter is the rough adjustment on the spline axle, 1 spline up=to high, 1spline down= too low(for me).:banghead
Just give it a try.:wtf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts