Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Very, very sad news... (998R)

I second that. I've been enjoying his racing this year. The guy seems like a class act. God Bless him and his family.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that is bad news. I was hoping that the previously reported bad news would turn out to be wrong......I have spoken with him on serveral occasions and he is a fun guy to be around.

Best Wishes for his future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (jbraslins)

It's always the same isn't it? Great job, AMA.

...there were no soft barriers placed in front of the tire wall and steel barrier Haskovec hit. Following his crash, soft barriers were deployed in front of the barrier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe that today we still have to hear about pro riders hitting hard walls....Vincent had a hell of a career ahead of him. I hope he has a full recovery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (drsus)

Apparently, the AMA installed an air fence AFTER Vincent's accident.

Best wishes to Vincent, get well soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (GixxerMan)

So they had spare air fences available yet choose not to set them up everywhere they could?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Turbo329)

Here are a couple little banners I made just as some moral support in what must be a horrible time for Vincent and his family.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Yamaboy)

Thanks, Yamaboy. I'll steal one of those...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...there were no soft barriers placed in front of the tire wall and steel barrier Haskovec hit. Following his crash, soft barriers were deployed in front of the barrier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was wondering about that, too! Are they saying they took some air fence away from another area to cover that wall? Or did they actually have some sitting around not being used???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (AZ Scott)

Either way it doesn't look very good on the AMA crew: How many riders have to be injured or killed before we start figuring out how to make our tracks with ample run-off or airfences? I understand that racing isn't necessarily "safe" all the time, but what a waste to have something like this happen when it sounds like it could have been avoided.

I remember seeing tires/armco barrier at a track a dozen years ago and thinking how barbaric it looked - a dozen years ago!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know anything, because I have nothing to do with the AMA or any racing of any kind, but I wonder if they would make sure fencing was in place if it was their kid out there on the track, or if they're just totally oblivious to the safety needs of each track/corner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Gerg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gerg »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know anything, because I have nothing to do with the AMA or any racing of any kind, but I wonder if they would make sure fencing was in place if it was their kid out there on the track, or if they're just totally oblivious to the safety needs of each track/corner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does anybody know where he crashed on the course? I don't think I've seen that mentioned in any of the press releases.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does anybody know where he crashed on the course? I don't think I've seen that mentioned in any of the press releases.</TD></TR></TABLE>

T5. They showed the video once on Speed TV before they determined the extent of his injuries. The shot showed him flying off the track, across a short section of grass, then smacking the tire wall with his back...right before his bike followed him in and hit him square in the chest. It was horrific.

It is just my opinion...but I consider the air fence business associated with this particular event as absolutely criminal on the AMA's part. On WERA's BBS, John Ulrich, who has done more for the air fence fund than anyone else I can think of, is lamenting the fact that WERA had more air fences up at the same track than did the AMA. I think the AMA officials responsible for this fiasco should be forced to go to the hospital, visit Vincent in his hospital room, and attempt to explain to both him and his family what they were thinking of (obviously not rider safety) when they did not install air fences at this turn... or any other turn which may have been unsafe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Baasinator)

If HE felt the course was unsafe, he should've never gotten on that bike. I haven't heard any racers come forward and say that they've expressed concerns about the safety of that area. However, if it was brought to AMA's attention beforehand, then I will get on the AMA bashing bandwagon with the rest of you. Motorcycle racing is inherently dangerous and given the wrong circumstances in a crash, your bike may follow you into a wall and torpedo you. Truly a tragic event and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

maybe they should be using softer compound tires in the tire wall...

sorry for the bad joke. Vincent lives over in athens now, about 45min to an hour west of huntsville. I'm sure he'll do all of us proud and be back on a bike in no time flat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Very, very sad news... (MaliciousBraham)

Sears still remains the most dangerous track we ride here in NorCal. No doubt is has improved immensely from the early nineties configuration, where it resembled a clear-cut back road... with requisite 5' run off into solid dirt walls and exposed poles.

5 and 6 are still a mess, even though they moved the 'wall' back on the exit of the Carousel. These are areas that need to be addressed, as you fellas can imagine, NASCAR doesn't use this section so it's looked upon as 'optional'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I'm not going to bash, and I'm not going to bitch....I just want Vincent to know he's got a lot of followers and fans out here praying that he comes through this. God be with him, his family, and team.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts