Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being bored on a Friday night I pulled down a torrent on the history of World Superbike racing. It started from the begining in 1998 and went through the series start up, struggles, riders, bikes, etc year by year. Being British it was of course filled with Fogarty more than it should have been.

One thing I found every interesting is when Fogarty went over to Honda to ride the RC45 and stated just how horrible the bike was. It was also interesting to have Edwards say the same thing and how happy he was when the RC51 came along. In a nutshell the documentry commented on how much Honda sunk into the RC45 and how a complete failure it was. Only on person could ride to a championship and that was Kocinski who everyone simply hated. (SBK.COM | RIDER)

Now we can go off about the rules being biased for Ducait, etc, etc but you wouldn't believe how much they simply bagged on this bike during the 3 to 4 years it was in the championship. They said for the money Honda put into it they should have walked away with the championship and didn't. Words like "Complete Failure" always crept in (even during the crew interviews). I never laughed so hard watching a Documentry in my life.

WORLDSBK.COM | CHAMPIONS

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
They should also have mentioned how much Cagiva (at the time owners of the Ducati brand) sank into the WSBK and 500cc efforts. At least they got results, though in the end the group tanked despite selling bikes by the truckload.
One of the things that always amazed me is this.
In 1992 Team Rumi was given a prototype RC45 to test. They returned it saying the bike wasn't such a big improvement over the RC30 they were racing at the time. The bike officially debuted two years later (the famous shark-mouth purple racer) in a semi-works fashion and was still far from competitive.
It would have been clear that the RC45 as a racing platform wasn't a match for Ducati twins. I have often wondered why Honda sunk untold millions into it instead of designing a new bike from scratch. It was obvious the RC45 was a great bike but lacked that certain "race potential" the RC30 had back in the days and the VTR-SP would have later.
With the silly money Honda spent reworking frames and keep coming up with exotic new swingarms on a seemingly monthly basis they could have designed and built a new bike. After all the RC45 was only built in 1994 and 1995 and it was immediately obvious problems lay in the frame department. I know I will attract a great deal of flak here (where's the helmet donning smilie when you need it?) but they could have just kept the engine and built a different bike around it. I have no doubt HRC money and expertise could have squeezed the V4 to get enough power to be competitive and perhaps even winning (more flak ahead).

·
Once bitten twice shy...
1,980 Posts
Complete failure against what? The Ducati? All superbikes? Give something to compare it to.
Everyone keeps sayin how much money was sunk into it... so what? Its racing. All the money that is used could go to another cause.
No one ever talks about the Yankee payroll until they have a shitty season. But the truth of matter is that all other teams and fans of other teams are jealous that they don't have the same pool of cash, history, or wins.
Its a bunch of crap. Honda did what they did. They won. Maybe not as much as you think they should have, but what the hell do you know? Not many people on this board have had the opportunity to be the fly on the wall in any team area, less known a Honda pit 10 years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts