Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone.

It's getting to be the hot part of the summer in my part of Washington and once again I'm considering investing in a quality vented or perforated jacket to complement my other riding gear. I've been wearing a set of Dainese TT pants and the Flash 2 jacket over the past 5 years or so. I love the quality of both pieces, but that jacket is heavily built and the quilted lining and lack of any ventelation really takes it's toll when the temp hits the 90's. I wear underarmor and drink a ton of liquids, but sometimes I think that Flash 2 is best saved for the months when the temp is in the 70's.

I'd really appreciate any input folks have regarding good quality leather jackets with superior venting and/or perforation. I would love to stick with Dainese or Alpinestars, but would consider any quality brand as long as it didn't look like something out of Buck Rogers (I'm also ruling our cordura). I do have my eye on the Dainese Ducati Corse perforated jacket, (there's a pic on the Ducati Seattle website), but I can't see any detail close enough to tell how much perforation there actually is. It looks mostly solid to me, and I don't want to drop 6-7 bills just to get my old jacket in a different color scheme. I would even consider getting a whole new set of 2 piece leathers (no knee pucks though) if that increased my options for hot weather leathers.

Best regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Vented/perforated leathers (Jeff H.)

I ride a Dainese perf jacket on the west side here. It's great really flows the air. Highly recommend.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Vented/perforated leathers (foggy123)

Thanks for the reply! Is that the same model that comes in the Corse colors, either red or black/grey? If so, I sure love the looks of it. Is it fairly well armored , but still flexible and comfortable?

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Mines just black (older model). It has std padding in in (shoulder, elbow and wrist). A little cold to wear in the morning ride to work but well worth it on the way home.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Vented/perforated leathers (foggy123)

I'm hoping to ride over that way next month, so hopefully I'll be able to find one in stock to try on. Thanks again for the info.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vanson--- great flow, great protection with GP amor and back protector.
I wear their perf jacket and pants all summer long and I am in Texas.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (Karlb)

I used to wear a joe rocket phoenix when it was really hot, but that would be mainly for commuting purposes, not sport riding. I have a Vanson leather as well, with the zip-down panels in the front, which is great most of the time. When it gets up to the high 80's with humidity, it becomes more of an issue, as the majority of the jacket is solid leather.

So I set out for a new mesh jacket, but one that would be more protective in the event of an accident. I had planned to buy the Vanson "Vent" jacket, which has a mesh front, nylon cordura sleeves and back, with some leather reinforement in the impact areas, and armor. For $199, this seemed like it would be perfect. The only problem was, Vanson was out of the size/colors I was interested in. I took a ride down there anyway, to verify what size I would need, in case I could find it online.

I ended up getting a great deal on their "Supermoto" jacket in black/red. http://www.vansonleathers.com/...acket

This jacket is a great combination of mesh, perf'd leather, solid leather, and nylon cordura. It flows very well, but I still feel like I'm protected.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hey Jeff -

I was just out in your neck of the woods this past weekend for the WMRRA race weekend. I race in a full perf Vanson race suit and am reasonably comfortable as long as I can get wind on my body. I also ride with Vanson perf jackets and pants on the street. I don't notice a huge difference between riding with perf pants (or non-perf) but there's a BIG difference when you wear perf jacket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Aerostich Roadcrafter 1pc jump suit. Vents and pockets galore. They keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summers. http://www.aerostich.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Use to be you could not get me in anything but leather,but lately I have been trying lots of options, including a First Gear Speed Freak, great jacket but with the heat and humidity back here in the east it's just too much jacket above 85. I just bought a First Gear Leather Mesh Tex jacket and Mesh Pants, results are great. Came back across from Ohio to VA yesterday in the heat and humidity it worked great and the prices are good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I wear the Dainese perf'ed Corse rep one piece leathers. Great ventilation, great flexibility.

I have a friend who wears the latest Vanson one piece leathers with the double zippered front, perf'ed. He swears by them as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You can probably get your existing leathers perforated. Go to a saddlerer, a horse supply place, and they can do it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Vented/perforated leathers (Capt. Home Slice)

Thundercats are on the loose!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Vented/perforated leathers (themagicalswitch)

I have the Vanson perfed jacket and its a great summer jacket. I liked it so much that I got a custom 1 piece perfed suit and it is an excellent suit. It's survived 2 low sides with nothing but scuff marks to show for it. IMO you can't beat Vanson for the value.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really appreciate all the replies! Thundercats...right on!

So far, I'm leaning toward either the Dainese Corse perf jacket or the Alpinestars SMX-airflow jacket. I've seen close up pics of the Alpinestars and it looks like the design and construction is pretty well thought out. Lot's of ventilation as well. The graphics are a bit loud, but what the hell. I love the look of the Corse jacket, but i can't find any pics that actually show how perforated it is. Judging from the replies on this board, though, it sounds pretty effective. I'm going to take some time to check out the Vanson stuff as well. My local Duc shop (Beaudry's
in Post Falls, ID) carries Vanson, so I might be able to find something on the rack. For the Italian stuff, I'm probably going to have to check that out over in Seattle or Tacoma later this summer.

I had considered getting my current jacket perforated, but the quilted lining is also pretty heavy and holds the heat in quite a bit. I think it's best to just get a new one that's perf'd and has a removable lining.

Regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a mach4 from Fieldsheer and have been very happy with it. Full leather on the shoulders, elbows and back. With full GP armor in thos areas. It flows a ton of air. I bought mine for $180 but ths site has them for $99.99 http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi...=3173

1 - 17 of 17 Posts