Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with vented clutchs and hose washing. Do precautions have to be taken to keep water out of the area or can you wash away with impunity?
What say ye?
Thanks,
Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A bike must NOT be washed with high pressure water. Clean it with a Sponge.
With high pressure, water penetrates bearings, punchs out grease....
For the rain, don't care: warmth and centrifugal force don't let it stay :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (El Gladiateur)

Water will get in there, but it's no problem. The water won't cause any damage to your clutch parts. I've been in heavy downpours and have washed the bike with the open cover plenty of times. It just spins right out. If you wash it and then let it sit for a while with out running the the engine, I guess you could have some rust forming on the steel parts. I have used compressed air to blow out most of the water after a good rinsing. After that I normally go for a ride. Running the engine up to temp and the clutch spinning takes care of any water that may have been left behind.

By the way, even with a stock solid cover, water could still get in there. The stock cover has two little open vents at the bottom.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (redduck)

The water from your garden hose is not high pressure. Put it on "shower" or "fan" and you'll be fine; just think of it as rain. I ride in the rain (with an open clutch cover) and wash my bike like a car; never had any problems. It's a motorcycle, not a watercolor.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (DesmoBob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesmoBob »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">......; never had any problems. It's a motorcycle, not a watercolor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (DesmoBob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesmoBob »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The water from your garden hose is not high pressure. Put it on "shower" or "fan" and you'll be fine; just think of it as rain. I ride in the rain (with an open clutch cover) and wash my bike like a car; never had any problems. It's a motorcycle, not a watercolor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts