Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in the middle of checking my valve clearences on my '01 Sp1 and most of them are within spec.All except one of the intake valves on the front cylinder.It measures 0.004in
The workshop manual states :

IN:0.16mm plus/minus 0.03mm(0.006in plus/minus 0.001in)

My question is this,could I get away with leaving this one valve as is? Could i get away with leaving it as is, seeing as it's on 0.001in out?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!:rockon
Cheers
James

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
James... I'll say +1 with "DesperateSP2" ONLY Depending upon,.... How many miles you have on her?

Low miles:... and it's out> fix it...

High miles: I would tend to think it would be more stable.... but, It Also depends upon how you ride...? IF You ride Hard and hitting the "Rev. limiter" once in a while... then Definitely> Adjust the Valve!

.001" isn't a big deal but since it is on the "Tight" side of spec,= closer to the piston, which is not as good, compared to if it was on the lose side of spec.... I'd fix it.... As it is VERY Easy to do anyhow brother.
Adjusting these(RC51) cams to specs. is very easy because IMHO there's no chain to mess with... Just figure out the size of shim you need and Line up timing markes and all is good. :twocents

I Hope this Helps,

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey fellas thanks for the advice. My Sp1 has done around 23000 miles and hasn't missed a beat until last week. I scored a tank of shit fuel and it fowled my plugs. So I thought while I got her apart I'd give her a service.
After speaking with a few blokes I'm just gonna leave it as is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts