I would sincerely appreciate any help and elucidation on a few issues I'm having which are killing me
I have read and reread Snyder's 2nd ed, DucatiSuite's guide, and Haynes. Maybe I'm just retarded - that would make three of us at it today - but here are my questions, issues, etc:
1. Does each cylinder have to be @ TDC to take valve measurements for the respective cylinder?
- is the best way to verify TDC via ea cylinder's plug hole? Or is lining up the flywheel tic mark good, and if so is this procedure correct:
i.rotate the engine to line up the tic mark and (for argument sake) now the vertical cylinder is TDC. Take measurements etc ready to move the horizontal...
ii.rotate engine again until the tic is again lined up and now we're at TDC for horizontal cylinder?
2. Haynes does not mention loaded & unloaded gaps; they only say to measure between the opener rocker and the opener shim and that's your clearance. If I can make life easier via Haynes' method why would I do it via loaded and unloaded gaps/calculations/etc? (playing devil's advocate here)
3. If you will, please consider the following measurements, which I can not be confident are accurate despite my best efforts following the various guides. I know you can't either but was hoping you could provide ANY insight. These are from measuring loaded and unloaded gaps, but I feel like there's a third measurement I should be taking (as eluded to by one of the guides referenced):
Left Intake clearance betwn cam lobe/rocker .004"
Right intake cam lobe/rocker .003
Left Intake rocker/shim .003"
Right intake rocker/shim .004"
L Exhaust cam lobe/rocker .004"
R exhaust cam lobe/rocker .004"
L exhaust rocker/shim .008"
R exhaust rocker/shim .004"
Assuming those measurements (which are elaborated on to reflect loaded, unloaded measurements - I think!) are accurate what do I do with them? Are there calculations to be done now? Holy crap I'm getting stressed thinking about it all again
I tried calculations but they seem to give results that are all over the place.
I should note that when lifted upwards the Left (facing bike forward) Exhaust opening rocker had notable play such that an easily audible clicking could be heard (which I assume means the clearance is too large...?)
4. I know this depends on the degree of out-of-spec clearances but: assuming clearances were miscalculated and there were out of spec clearances is there a rough estimation of when consequences would manifest themselves, e.g. 3000K mi? 12K mi? And what would those manifestations be?
This ain't rocket surgery I know and I WILL figure this out (uh, hopefully with your help
Modified by doocatiboy at 3:58 AM 3/27/2005
Modified by doocatiboy at 3:59 AM 3/27/2005