Speedzilla Forums banner

Valencia TEST

12K views 84 replies 38 participants last post by  Bigcat44 
#1 · (Edited)
Stoner already faster than Pedrosa, and Spies already at Lorenzos heels.... just testing, but its nice to see neither is struggling right off the bat.
Rossi and Hayden are testing 3 different engines and different firing orders with some of them....i wouldn't expect any kind of fast laps out of them this time around.

1 Lorenzo J. Yamaha Factory Racing 1:32.511
2 Spies B.Yamaha Factory Racing +0.367
3 Stoner C.HRC+0.750
4 Pedrosa D.Repsol Honda Team+0.825
5 Simoncelli M.San Carlo Honda Gresini+1.067
6 Edwards C.Monster Yamaha Tech 3+1.303
7 Rossi V.Ducati Team+1.371
8 Hayden N.Ducati Team+1.487
9 Bautista A.Rizla Suzuki MotoGP+1.559
10 Dovizioso A.Repsol Honda Team+1.772
11 Puniet R.Pramac Racing Team+1.966

testing is still going btw

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Those are cup holders...

#14 ·
Ducati wont say what they are. They are not downforce fins though. All aero expert chimed in and broke down how they wouldn't create any at that size, placement or shape.

Most experts agree that the fins are there to reduce air flow pressure in front of radiators in order to allow more air to enter the radiators at higher speed. The ducati had to sacrifice power early in the season due to cooling issues, which have magically been cured and power is up since the appearance of the fins.

#6 ·
why are all eyes on rossi and the ducati he didnt have anywhere else to go did he. he couldnt go back to honda yamaha wouldnt sack lorenzo suzuki down to 1 rider and just arnt there so ducati was his only option but all the press think its wonderfull i dont know what its like for you guys in the states but over here in the uk there rossi mad.
i just hope hayden shows him the way home and ben shows his true colours and gets on the podium.
as far as stoner faster than pedrosa well im a big stoner fan but lets see how dani does once hes recovered.

#12 ·
#17 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Quotes Filippo Preziosi...

He said he couldn't believe how precise Rossi's technical
comments were on the bike.

Rossi was 10th He mainly used 2011 Big Bang motor and did only one run on
new 2011 Screamer. Best time of 1.33.882 was 1.870 off Lorenzo

Preziosi just said Rossi spent all day on the GP11 Big Bang engine. He did
only 1 lap on the GP11 Screamer and none on the GP10 Big Bang

Quote Rossi...
Rossi's first words after he came in for the first time "the engine is good"

Quote MotoGp.com

The first day of the long awaited post-season MotoGP test at Valencia started with grey skies and light drizzle
this morning, which left the track unsuitable for the opening hour of the session between 9am and 10am when,
luckily, the sun emerged to gradually dry the track surface.

At 10:55am Valentino Rossi arrived in the garage where Filippo Preziosi, Jeremy Burgess and his crew as well as
engineers and technicians from Ducati's Reparto Corse were waiting for him. At precisely 11:46am the official
Ducati test rider Franco Battaini took to the track for a first shakedown on the black coloured GP11 and finally, at
12:23pm, the nine-time World Champion rode the Ducati Desmosedici for the first time.

Rossi started out on a Desmosedici GP11 fitted with a 'big bang' version of the engine, which he used for virtually
the entire day as he worked on geometry and other settings. As the day drew to a close he made one final run on
the 'screamer' version.

Filippo Preziosi, General Director Ducati Corse

“It has been an exciting day for sure. The main thing that hit me today was Vale's positive feedback and his
capacity for analysis. Today he tested the GP11 with the 'big bang' engine on a standard setting, which he
modified step by step to adapt it to his riding style. His first comment when he lifted his visor up was a positive
one about the power delivery and then he gave some impressive technical details. We certainly have a lot to do
to adapt the bike to his riding style but it is really nice and very interesting to work on something like that. We
worked on the geometry and setting today to see how the bike responded and to get a bit of experience working
with both Vale and Jeremy (Burgess). At the end of the session he went out on the screamer version but we will
make more of an analysis between the two engines tomorrow because they deliver the power in very different
ways - the big bang has a more regular power curve whereas the screamer is more aggressive but also more
powerful.”

360º crank "Big Bang" V4 animation

Big Bang V4 crank...

Screamer V4 crank...

VFR180Crankshaft by busylittleshop, on Flickr

#20 ·
Guys just a quick question. Are they testing 800s or 1000s already? Thx.

#26 ·
Stoner already faster than Pedrosa, and Spies already at Lorenzos heels.... just testing, but its nice to see neither is struggling right off the bat.
Rossi and Hayden are testing 3 different engines and different firing orders with some of them....i wouldn't expect any kind of fast laps out of them this time around.

1 Lorenzo J. Yamaha Factory Racing 1:32.511
2 Spies B.Yamaha Factory Racing +0.367
3 Stoner C.HRC+0.750
4 Pedrosa D.Repsol Honda Team+0.825
5 Simoncelli M.San Carlo Honda Gresini+1.067
6 Edwards C.Monster Yamaha Tech 3+1.303
7 Rossi V.Ducati Team+1.371
8 Hayden N.Ducati Team+1.487
9 Bautista A.Rizla Suzuki MotoGP+1.559
10 Dovizioso A.Repsol Honda Team+1.772
11 Puniet R.Pramac Racing Team+1.966

YEAH... SPIES IS A MONSTER!!!!

#27 ·
Many Podiums Next Year.

Attachments

#34 ·
I tend to believe the winglets are to generate an area of low pressure behind them at the radiator exits to "pull" air through the fairing and allow the radiator to be more effective. In theory if you could get more air velocity through the radiator, you could reduce the area of the radiator which would improve frontal area and lower drag. Even though the winglets generate drag themselves, the net effect could be positive.

#35 ·
I tend to believe the winglets are to generate an area of low pressure behind them at the radiator exits to "pull" air through the fairing and allow the radiator to be more effective. In theory if you could get more air velocity through the radiator, you could reduce the area of the radiator which would improve frontal area and lower drag. Even though the winglets generate drag themselves, the net effect could be positive.
Are you implying then that there is room for improvement in frontal area (particularly in the area of the radiator) on a V4? I mean, geez, I had been led to believe that rad width was totally irrelevant, that the only thing that mattered was the engine's actual width. Could it be that Larry has been misleading us all this time? lol

#43 ·
No doubt Lorenzo is extremely smooth and fast , a great combination b/c it's easy on the bike , but let's see what kind of technical insight/feedback he can give to engineers to develop an all-new bike in '12 . Furasawa and Burgess have said repeatedly over the years that Rossi's detailed analysis of motorcycle dynamics is uncanny , making him as much engineer as rider , even calling the M1 , Rossi's baby . Lorenzo may be the next prodigy capable of such tasks , we'll see . As for next season , I think that Yamaha is such a well organized team and the M1 so quick and easily adaptable to different styles , that Spies will surprise his teammate and contend . And Rossi will be right there too of course ! But my 'fantasy season' is VR riding the Suzuki :D .

#46 ·
Stoner proves to me again that he is the best rider out there, able to adapt to a new machine so quickly, great riders can do that. Now he needs to learn how to stop crashing. :D
If the Honda has better front-end feel than the Ducati did in 2010, it might be a boring year of Stoner checking out most weekends.

I read something yesterday that he commented how smooth the Honda's power was, while all year Pedrosa and Dovi complained how tough it was to manage. Head games maybe? If that is the case Dovizioso will be a pile of quivering goo by the end 2011, completely psyched out and overwhelmed by how much better his two teammates are than him.

#48 · (Edited)
Don't know how anyone can say Rossi is washed up
He's in the prime of his life

I just hope Ducati can give him what he needs
yamaha could as they were a progressive,giant japanese corporation who could basically build what he asked for
hope ducati can make his bike by next season.
Sure they have a few tricks up their sleaves
they have a composite chassis(i reckon BST helped them there as they have maybe the most experience in the world with structual composites and motorcycles,) which is easily modified shaped etc
but what can they do with that engine?-seems to be the archaic element imo.no where to go with it unlike the japanese powerplants

#51 · (Edited)
well...Stoner just laid down the law in only his 2nd day on a new bike. Beating Lorenzo on his tried and trued championship winning M1.
Rossi was very busy trying a pile of stuff Ducati threw at him. Nicky too, but he was just testing engines.
Ben is looking VERY good already. He also tested a bunch of parts on his new '11 M1.

Pos No. Rider Bike Time Diff Diff Previous
1 27 Casey Stoner Honda 1:32.066
2 99 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1:32.179 0.113 0.113
3 11 Ben Spies Yamaha 1:32.322 0.256 0.143
4 58 Marco Simoncelli Honda 1:32.450 0.384 0.128
5 26 Dani Pedrosa Honda 1:32.497 0.431 0.047
6 69 Nicky Hayden Ducati 1:32.583 0.517 0.086
7 19 Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1:32.738 0.672 0.155
8 14 Randy de Puniet Ducati 1:32.836 0.770 0.098
9 4 Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1:32.942 0.876 0.106
10 7 Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1:33.105 1.039 0.163
11 40 Hector Barbera Ducati 1:33.168 1.102 0.063
12 5 Colin Edwards Yamaha 1:33.325 1.259 0.157
14 65 Loris Capirossi Ducati 1:33.740 1.674 0.257
15 46 Valentino Rossi Ducati 1:33.761 1.695 0.021
16 17 Karel Abraham Ducati 1:33.793 1.727 0.032
17 24 Toni Elias Honda 1:34.800 2.734 1.007
13 35 Cal Crutchlow Yamaha 1:33.483 1.417 0.158

what do you thin k Spies is telling Cal?

probably sounds something like

" i don't know man, i won the WSBK championship on your bike, pretty easily and you won ....one race. I was up in the top 4 on the same M1 this time last year....and you're last. Maybe put down your purse so you can use both hands on the bike?

Attachments

#75 ·
what do you thin k Spies is telling Cal?
"After 2 more learning years at Yamaha I will sign for Honda and win on a V4."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.