Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first poll choices were confusing. Sorry..........

My rear tire is just about cooked. My front as usual is still good. The OEM tires on my bike are no longer available. So I can't just trough the same tire on the rear. How bad is it to have different tires? I have Dunlop 218 tires on my bike now. I'm thinking of putting on a D208 in the rear. If I'm convinced that's a bad idea, I'll go with front and rear Pilot Powers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (SP8)

well if you dont push hard it wouldnt be a problem. Only in hard ridign those perfornace tires act different.. i run different brankds many times, even on racetrack (BT010/BT20 on my ZRX)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giannis,
Is that you on the zrxoa massage boards?
I was thinking about getting a zrx, speed tripple, or a fz1 to commute in

nate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How OLD is your front tire? I'd rather see you on a decent set of scrubs if $$ is tight than a good rear and a dried out front. Remember most of your braking and cornering ability comes from the front being able to hold its own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (dragaknee-rc51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragaknee-rc51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How OLD is your front tire? I'd rather see you on a decent set of scrubs if $$ is tight than a good rear and a dried out front. Remember most of your braking and cornering ability comes from the front being able to hold its own.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's the original OEM front on a 04 ZX10R. I bought the bike new last June.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's the original OEM front on a 04 ZX10R. I bought the bike new last June.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't have a problem running a 208 on the rear with your OEM front. But then, I'm not one of those sheep who seem to think that every time a new model tire comes out, the previous models are suddenly not roadworthy...

If your front tire is still in good shape, go for it. It's not going to be "dried out" in just a year. The tires on a couple of my bikes are over 5 years old, and somehow I've survived.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I had a BT010 front and a BT020 rear on my SVS, brother had the same on his SVS. On the RC I had M1 front and a BT014 rear...........putting on Pilot Powers right now for my trackday in a couple weeks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (backlash)

As long as the profile shape is similar you can mix and match, even between brands it is OK on the street. I have run Bridgestone BT020 front with an Avon ??on the rear on the street. That's what happens a 1000 miles from home and you take what they got to fix the flat.
It is probably OK on the track but you need to match profiles & "stickyness". I really hate losing the front end, my save rate is not very good.
Check "mawonline.com" for weekly tire specials.
Here in Western Michigan the shops charge $15-20 to mount and balance off the bike. If you buy the tires from them, it is free on the bike, but you are looking at MSRP+ for the tires, usually $360 + up versus around $220 + 40 = $260 for (120/70 + 180/70 pilot powers).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (aj7840)

I'll add that if you're taking the bike to the track I would definitely use "matching" tires. But I assumed that if you still have OEM tires on it, you've only been riding it on the street. In which case, my first post applies...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (AZ Scott)

My bike probably won't see the track till next year. I'm trying to pay my truck off 2 years early in a couple of months. Maybe at the end of summer I'll hit a track, but I doubt it. I need to stack cash again after I pay the cage off. Gotta have few grand in emergency money before I can play.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I run two different models of the same brand on the track and it works fine 002 B-stone front and an 090pro rear. Then again I am not dealing with a lot if horsepower (ex500)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

There are a lot of guys racing SVs with Pirelli Diablo Corsa fronts and regular Diablo rears because the rears don't come in the size they need. Haven't heard any problems at all with mixing within the same brand

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Using Mis-Matched Tire Models..............(2nd Edition) (Tifosi)

Consider using Italian race-air in your tires. I replace mine every 18 days. It allows you to use a wildly different brand, make, type, and compound of tires, and only costs about $40 per SCFM.

I'm currently running my cousin's BMX tire on the front of my R1 and an exgirlfriend's Toyota Tercel bias ply in the rear. I got 1.28 lap times at Homestead.

Suckas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts