Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
arizona rc51
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. Just now turned over the 5k mark on my '04 RC51. I have had it serviced 3 times, two for the normal required service intervals and one in between for an oil change (2k mark). As of right now, I (unfortunately) have a pair of Jardine RS-1 slip-ons, PC3usb, and the bike remaining stock otherwise. For the life of me, nor from the not so helpfull service dept. where I go, can I remedy the annoying chugging along effect my bike does fromt the 2400-3000rpm range in most gears. Do to me not finding a single map for Jardines for my PC3usb or from others, I am only wondering if going to Sato or possiblely Micron (maps happily available) would this cure this problem??
My claimed "knowledgable" service department said not much can be done. Any other suggestions? :notworthy

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Its not made for the City

arizona_rc51 said:
can I remedy the annoying chugging along effect my bike does fromt the 2400-3000rpm range in most gears.

Well my friend thats because your ridding in a RPM range thats to low. Look at any DYNO and you can see the motor is making any power that low. First suggestion would be do the 15 tooth front sprocket and then the 41 rear if ya want but for 25 bucks that feeling will be reduced and you'll be able to ride at 20 MPH in first insteard of a min 27. So your cans and map aren't to blame. A map might help the popping on deceleration and help with throttle response. But once again do the gear swap and get a speedo healer for the recalibration.:twocents

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
arizona_rc51 said:
can I remedy the annoying chugging along effect my bike does fromt the 2400-3000rpm range in most gears. :notworthy
You should never ever be at those rpms in any gear but first.

Seriously. Keep the rpm above 4 grand if it gets anywhere near that down shift.

As far as maps for the Jardine I suggest you trying the Sato map on rogue that mike built for the Sato low mounts. it will probably be a little fat for the Jardines but it will make the bike run cooler and give a better throttle response in the lower rpm range

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine did that after about 500km after i got arata's + got it dyno'd. went back to the guy and said it chugged like a bastard at 3k in first in traffic and he slapped it back on the dyno and sorted it out, never done it since.

I'd say put your hand in your pocket and get it mapped properly and your probs will go away.

none of the stock maps worked in my bike very well when i had stock cans.

Ped

·
Registered
186 Posts
PedroSP2 said:
mine did that after about 500km after i got arata's + got it dyno'd. went back to the guy and said it chugged like a bastard at 3k in first in traffic and he slapped it back on the dyno and sorted it out, never done it since.

I'd say put your hand in your pocket and get it mapped properly and your probs will go away.

none of the stock maps worked in my bike very well when i had stock cans.

Ped
:clapper :clapper double that!! having 2 of clark county's finest on the same street(one lives next door)chugging the pig at 2500 rpm at 4:30 in the morning is a must!i never really noticed it below 4000 till i was trying to be quiet one morning,bucked like a bronco! took it back to the shop,had it redyno'd(it was too lean from 4000 down to idle)had the map modified,runs like a champ now,no more bucking,throttle's as smooth as it could be. ive read alot about people trying diffrent maps and ill never understand why they wont just get a base map loaded,take it to a shop that can actually tune the bike properly,put it on the dyno,get a correct map and be done with it!seems cheaper that way!:twocents

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If you had seen even half the maps I have seen in the last 4+ years that were allegedly "tuned" by a professional you too would have reservations about getting one made. Not everyone with a dyno really understands how to make a map optimal. Furthermore over-richening low rpm & throttle position cells in the map to overcome some amount of the on/off throttle syndrome is not exactly rocket science & is something we have been touting since early in 2000....

Low rpm riding will still inherently lead to a lot of surging & bucking of the motor simply do to the heavy flywheel no matter what map you run. Commonsense alone should tell you to avoid that area of the rev range as much as possible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
LDH said:
If you had seen even half the maps I have seen in the last 4+ years that were allegedly "tuned" by a professional you too would have reservations about getting one made. Not everyone with a dyno really understands how to make a map optimal. Furthermore over-richening low rpm & throttle position cells in the map to overcome some amount of the on/off throttle syndrome is not exactly rocket science & is something we have been touting since early in 2000....

Low rpm riding will still inherently lead to a lot of surging & bucking of the motor simply do to the heavy flywheel no matter what map you run. Commonsense alone should tell you to avoid that area of the rev range as much as possible.
some of what youve said ill agree with,ive seen alot of bikes that the owners claimed"were tuned to the hilt" only to see a completly stock version stomp its ass!up until this point i never noticed the lean condition on my rc(below 4k rpm)it wasnt until 3 weeks ago that when i was trying to be quiet and courteous to my sleeping neighbors that i noticed it had a severe case of the jerkes,i assumed it was jerking like that in stop and go traffic(with the temps in the 90's)because of the heat! that wasnt the case.it was 62 with very low humidity.a trip to the shop showed that in fact it was too lean below 4k rpm's,a few pushes of the lap top and the gas meter showed much better mixing on the rc's part! now i can bring the pig home under radar and i dont get my balls smashed back and forth against the tank in the process. "Commonsense alone should tell you to avoid that area of the rev range as much as possible." why? what is it that you think will happen by luggin the motor in second gear? i havent had any problems,been doing it for the last 18 months,no ill effects that i can tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dadrc51 said:
why? what is it that you think will happen by luggin the motor in second gear? i havent had any problems,been doing it for the last 18 months,no ill effects that i can tell.
Wait, I think I know this one...Don't tell me :banghead

Got it! Is the answer an increase of completely avoidable wear to the entire drivetrain? :clapper

How did I do?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Splangy said:
Wait, I think I know this one...Don't tell me

Got it! Is the answer an increase of completely avoidable wear to the entire drivetrain?

How did I do?
"an increase of completely avoidable wear to the entire drivetrain?" :wtf the last time i checked i was riding a honda not a harley!im not sure how lugging a motor is gonna wear it out! if it were under a severe load then yes i would agree,but chugging down a flat street?:wacky ive lugged the last 8 bikes(4 twins/3 v-fours/1 inline)and never had a problem,what makes you think they'll start now?hell all of the bikes had over 35,000 miles each(all from me/only one used bike..a hawk gt,it had 45k plus miles)with over 225000 miles under my belt im sure it wont happen now or ever!:banghead man some of the opinions on this board just doesnt make much sense

·
Registered
186 Posts
Splangy said:
If you like driving around with no power at 2500 rpm then maybe you should get a Harley!
if an rc doesnt have enough low end to chug you around,sounds to me like youve got the wrong map and the wrong gearing! :wacky

·
Registered
186 Posts
arizona_rc51 said:
Good day all. Just now turned over the 5k mark on my '04 RC51. I have had it serviced 3 times, two for the normal required service intervals and one in between for an oil change (2k mark). As of right now, I (unfortunately) have a pair of Jardine RS-1 slip-ons, PC3usb, and the bike remaining stock otherwise. For the life of me, nor from the not so helpfull service dept. where I go, can I remedy the annoying chugging along effect my bike does fromt the 2400-3000rpm range in most gears. Do to me not finding a single map for Jardines for my PC3usb or from others, I am only wondering if going to Sato or possiblely Micron (maps happily available) would this cure this problem??
My claimed "knowledgable" service department said not much can be done. Any other suggestions? :notworthy
do yourself and me a favor(this thread is turning to bullshit)find a good shop that turns out good work,meaning they get it right the first time,even if you have to travel a few miles,explain to the shop that your running lean on the bottom end,it doesnt take much to dial in a good map,make sure when they run it on the dyno that it has a gas analizer,try d.kyle for a base map to start with,then tune it to suite your bike,not all bikes will run the same with the same map,ill bet when this is done it'll cure your problem!:rockon keep us up on the details when this is done so you can settle this pissin match!:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts