Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new-to-me TurnOne air box last night. It went in fine, just like the directions state. Snapped into place, no contact, throttle bodies are fully seated....but I cannot get the tank to fully lower into place.

There is close to 1" of space if I push the tank down. If I do not, it's close to 4". I'm afraid it will not close at all, even with the Scotts damper bracket in there.

Any thoughts? There's about a 1/2" gap between the airbox and the top part of the frame. I'm not getting it. It's fully seated but needs to go down another 1/2" to be perfect. I removed the little bump on the front part of the rear cylinder head, moved the bracket in the back and that is fine. It's the front half of the airbox I'm having issues with.

Any insight, that I'm missing?

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
You want the fuel cell to seal again the Thorsten\TurnOne, Custom AirBox, You don't want the fuel cell to just drop down like normal because then You AirBox seal will SUCK!:cool:
"Sealed= Good to be Pressurized" So it does take pressure on your part to install. I pushed straight down on my install... NOT pivoting<sp> off the back.

First thing I did, was to fit my AirBox to the bottom of the fuel cell, when I was happy with the fit, then I did the complete install,.. Once I was to the point of locking down said fuel cell, I took a paper and placed in between the AirBox foam and bottom of the Fuel cell, and I tried to slide the paper around the sealing area... and after it was tighten down in place there was NO gaps at all!:clapper ... again = a Great Seal for being Force Feed RAM-Air at 100+ MPH!

I Hope this Helps,

Peace Jeff

PS.1" isn't too bad, but 4" is NG... Just be carful and keep working on it, you'll get it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like the Airbox is seated properly in position on the T/Bs here's a few things to look at:

1/If you are running a Scotts damper, you need to turn the anchor bracket upside down as is it lifts the tank slightly.
I think that is correct, ? haven't installed one with the Scotts for awhile but the bracket needs to be positioned so the Tank will sit right down in the standed position. I did do a post on this some while back. try a search

2/ Double check that the throttle body connecting boots are pushed all the way home on the inlet port flange lip,
Check by opening the T/B butterfly and feeling on the inside that there is no gap between the rubber boot and the port casting.

3/I Lubricate all the seals:
Best to use some 'O' ring silicone grease or something similar on all the grommets and around the Air-box perimeter seals. The tank may grab on saddle seal(raised part)at the rear of the Airbox making it hard to push all the way down, lubricate the seal so the tank will slide down easierly.

Also make sure you glue the front white tank seal to the tank using some Sikaflex polyurethane sealant adhesive, these rubber seals are high silicone and will not bond to most glues.

email me some pics if you are still having issue's: [email protected]

Cheers , Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I haven't played with it yet (installed my Ohlins rear and DK link last night). I did not add any type of grease of lubricant to the main tank seal. I will try that and see how it helps.

With what I've heard, I should be okay. I knew I should have a tight seal, but didn't think it would have been as tight as it is. :woot:

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
You did remove the rubber oem bumpers from the tank sides right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did remove the rubber oem bumpers from the tank sides right?
OPPS!... LMAO... Good point mang., as I forgot to mention that too:eek: Yeah, what wingnutter said.:clapper
First thing I did.... ;)

Played for five minutes this AM, found that the airbox to tank junction is a bit off. I need to move the tank to the right to fully seat on the throttle side. Once I get some lubricant on the rubber seals, I should be okay. I haven't tried to bolt it down yet as my front clip is still off from the T1 snorkel install.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI - It's all good. Just figuring out my Scotts now. By flipping the Scotts pin mount, it seals nicely. (Frame, fairing stay, tank, flipped Scotts mount is the order).

If I place the Scotts mount for my SP2 where the instructions say...the front of the tank doesn't seal at all to the Turn1 airbox.

Also....that little bottle of silicone rubber lubricant that Arai sends with your helmets...is perfect lube for the seals on the Turn1 airbox!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts