Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just simply cut and switch the wires on the RC fan? By doing this, it would simply switch polarity and therefor turning it into a pusher instead?

I have an extra fan and that was what I did bench testing this. I did a search but seems everyone went for the SPAL fans.

A cleaner option I've read would simply switch the RC fans for a SuperHawk/VTR fan.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I looked into it: the big problem is the impeller which will still be of the "sucker" type. In the end it will be just cheaper to go for a "pusher" one, either Spal or second hand.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I looked into it: the big problem is the impeller which will still be of the "sucker" type. In the end it will be just cheaper to go for a "pusher" one, either Spal or second hand.

Hey DesperateSP2
I think 3stripes is actually talking about changing the actual "Fan blades" since they diff. on the "SuperHawk" Correct me IF I'm wrong there 3stripes...?

Here's My :twocents along with atleast 3 others I know who have done the SPAL fan mod.....
#1> For either the same price of the HONDA OEM fan blades OR alittle more.... You can get a COMPLETE SPAL fan... and from what I have read about these... They REALLY kick ARSE... HIGH Speed\Performace fans= Screw the Honda SuperChicken OEM Fan blades and get a SPAL!

Asearch will get you ALL the info. you need about this\these, since "Selfinflection" and Desperate <"I think" have posted up Part# and size of fan to get with decripitions and even Pictures too!

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I have not done it personally, but other have: yes you can put a vtr1000f fan blade onto the RC fan and switch the polarity to a pusher.

I run one spal fan and it works for me. I would have tried the superhawk fan blade, but couldn't find a decent price on the fans, so I just went with the spal knowing that it would work from other members here.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D has it Maverick ,

I was going to cut the stock RC fan wire about 2 inches from the motor itself. The motor will spin the opposite direction turning the puller into a pusher.

He was right that it would not be as effective as having a SPAL or swapping the fan blades(only) with the SuperChicken(VTR)

Since I currently have 3 stock sp1 fan, I'll try this and report back later on the effective or in-effectiveness of it all.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
what kind of benefit are you guys getting by changing out the fan from a pull to a push type. i would think that honda put a lot of r&d into this and therefor ran the pull type for a reason. curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is easy to reverse the stock fan by inserting a small screwdriver above the pin and pulling the pin out the back. Then reverse the wires and re-insert. They "click" into place.

That being said, the stock fans are very weak. You are better off purchasing the Spal fans. I have two Spal pusher fans on my bike along with a switch. On the hottest days, with both fans running and the bike sitting still, my engine temp will not exceed 185 degrees.

Eric

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what kind of benefit are you guys getting by changing out the fan from a pull to a push type. i would think that honda put a lot of r&d into this and therefor ran the pull type for a reason. curious minds want to know.

Basically,

The puller will pull hot air through the radiator and into out the already hot engine area. At slower speeds in traffic(boiled over a few times during a parade) the puller(stock) works against the slow air flow.

The benefit of Honda puller(stock) is that there isn't any hot air going out at the rider(unlike most other bikes I've ridden)

The pusher would simply help the air flow at slow traffic speed better but you might get some extra hot air coming out of the radiator area.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is easy to reverse the stock fan by inserting a small screwdriver above the pin and pulling the pin out the back. Then reverse the wires and re-insert. They "click" into place.

Eric

I've actually done exactly that but better and un-known affect/damage on how reversing everything will do for the switching/coolant temp. sensor has me playing it safe.

Have you done this without any ill effect?

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
It works about a million times better and can actually cool the bike down while moving faster than 10 mph.

·
Registered
58 Posts
please do not reverse polarity on the stock fan (unless you also flip the blade around) it's completely useless. Search for my posts I tried this

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
please do not reverse polarity on the stock fan (unless you also flip the blade around) it's completely useless. Search for my posts I tried this

Oh snap..how did I missed your thread then:banghead

will search when I have more time...engine swap in progress. Which really is a whole bike cleaning, valve adjustment, replacing anything that is broken/missing, rewire stuff that didn't get wired up before:D,full on maintenance(k n N a/f, oil change, lub everything(engine mount boltsssss, suspension components) and oh..making the Ohlins shock looks better.:D

Then I'll have to check out your thread.:rockon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts