Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over the ****ing state of arizona and can find the recomended adhesive that brett suggests using to secure the rubber piece underneath the tank.
This is what everyone and their mother has suggested instead:
E-6000®

Will it work? Any ideas?? Im losing my mind

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
Relax...I used liquid nail on one tank and Yamabond on another both worked just fine. That stuff should work as well. You just need something that bonds to rubber and metal, and isn't temperature sensitive. Clean the area well with degreaser then alcohol wipe, goof off or some other residue remover, and make sure u give it time to dry before cranking the bike..usually overnight or at least a good couple hours!:D

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
This is what Brett recommended to me when I got my box from him so I found the one us distributor online and ordered a tube. Stuff works like a dream and I wouldn't feel comfortable using anything else personally.

I even sent the tube of it to the guy who bought my T1 airbox and Im still waiting to receive it back after hes done installing it so I can finish up my new airbox with it.

Sikaflex 291 - Sika Sealants

I have looked all over the ****ing state of arizona and can find the recomended adhesive that brett suggests using to secure the rubber piece underneath the tank.
This is what everyone and their mother has suggested instead:
E-6000®

Will it work? Any ideas?? Im losing my mind

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did not use the Sikaflex. I used some silicone that I had in the box that stated it bonded rubber and metal. I have no clue on the brand as it's home in the tool box and I'm hundreds of miles away.

So far, it's worked like a charm. Hasn't moved, hasn't pulled away, been in the rain, washed the bike, tanks been up a few times...it's still holding just fine.

Just go to an auto parts store/home improvement and read the labels. You'll find something. The smaller mom and pop places are always better to find something that will work. I've never had luck with the AutoZone and Lowe's type stores.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want a little extra piece of mind, take a piece of wire and run it through the seal, and wrap around the front tank mount.
If the seal does go loose, it wont get sucked into the throttlebodies.

Ive done, just to be xtra sure, dont want to end up with stuck throttle like someone else experienced.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
HUMMMMM Well, I'll put in my 2 cents as well,.... as long as YOU Clean the areas... as stated above... degrease....
then a final wipe with Al's good buddy cohol! :D I just used any old Spray adhesive that is good for metal, rubber,
plastic and nylon... and I haven't had an issue in 4+ years.;)

The main issue IMHO is Surface(s) Prep., You do a Crappie job and it will not matter even IF you have the GOLDEN Stuff!

Good luck with Your set-up and make sure YOU get a Real Good seal all the way around and inside and out, to reap the> Full Benefits of RAM>AIR! :D And this = My .02 worth.

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you want a little extra piece of mind, take a piece of wire and run it through the seal, and wrap around the front tank mount.

Ive done, just to be xtra sure, dont want to end up with stuck throttle like someone else experienced.
That is why mine when bye-bye.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts

Stun and hanberg have the answer on this thread.

the gasket is silicone and slippery as hell stun and I encapsulated mine with sikoflex never thought of safety wire very good idea .

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.