1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Alan Cathcart gave it a great review, as did Don Canet at CW. Sounds like Aprilia hit the bullseye with this one..... Can't help but wonder why they alone have the sense to not dumb-down their naked bikes like all the others are so prone to doing....

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
No kidding, Kawasaki designed a whole new engine for their 1000 when they already have one of the horniest powerplants ever put between two wheels in the 08-10 ZX-10R.

Imagine if BMW ever decides to do a naked S1000RR.

·
calculating status...
1,670 Posts
Can't help but wonder why they alone have the sense to not dumb-down their naked bikes like all the others are so prone to doing....
What? No retuning for midrange power? :D

I just actually looked at it. Yikes!

"The liter-sized naked sport bike we've always wanted" they say. Well I looked at the whole page and didn't see a naked motorcycle. The one they showed had headlights surrounded by a complete upper fairing including windscreen. There's even lower cowls and a chin fairing too. Hmm. Maybe there's another version as well.

·
Silverback
307 Posts
Turning it into an actual 'naked' bike would yield beautiful results. In it's current state, it looks unfinished.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I'm sure it is a great ride, but it does look like it is only a windscreen and some mid fairings away from the RSV4. In some ways it is logical to leverage as much of the original bike as they can, I'm sure it would rip the lungs out of just about any other naked bike (Duc Streetfighter and Speed Triple R included)

If they ever decided to put the full-power V4 in a Dorsoduro or new Futura, THAT would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The RSV4 is the last good looking bike Aprilia produced.
This one looks like something the Japanese could come up with (not a compliment) and since I have witnessed the horror of the new Caponord 1200 you'll now all come to Hell with me.

I mean... how do they expect to sell these things? They are so damn ugly. Add on top of that Aprilia's suicidal commercial practices and well known post-sales issues and you have to be either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid to buy one.
I do not discuss for a second they are superb machines to ride: I owned Aprilia's in the past. But there's a damn good reason their sales are dropping as they are despite the superb RSV4.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The Corsaro has always been one of my faves, great looking bike.

As for selling ugly bikes, Suzuki sold lots of Katanas (later generation early-GSXR knock-offs) and Busas and they hardly get uglier than that......

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Can't help but wonder why they alone have the sense to not dumb-down their naked bikes like all the others are so prone to doing....
Ima take a guess:

Coz any dip**** with a craftsman socket set could take the fairings and clipons off a superbike, but changing the cams, valves, throttle bodies, ignition and crank weight actually makes a bike that rolls on better at street speeds and is comfortable?

Z1000 spec sheet haters never rode one. There's a reason why it was the number one selling motorcycle in Europe. They are insanely good street bikes.

Trust me on this: Anyone who thinks they need a race bike on the street is either a really shitty track rider, or a really shitty street rider. Probably both. You ride them completely different, at least you should.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My point is: why can't they make something that looks like this

or this

Instead we get styling a child watching too much Japanese cartoons could come up with.
Don't get my wrong: my brother had a CB1300. I stole it from him more than once. One of the best road bikes I have ever ridden, surprisingly fast and one of my most stupid mistakes was not buying it from him when he was looking for a CBR1000RR. One day (perhaps next year) I will swap my SP2 for one of those.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
IMO, the latest Z1000 is one of the very few "tuned for midrange" naked bikes I would consider owning as a quasi-sport mount. While I never had the privilege of riding one, every test I have read has given it raves reviews (and its roll-on acceleration times are very quick).

A prime example of the "gone too far" scenario IMO is Honda`s CB1000R, a veritable sheep in wolf's clothing. A state of tune halfway between its present one and the one on the sourced original CBR1000RR would do wonders for desirability....

In the end, I find it terribly misleading that many manufacturers play the "source card" (ie. "engine comes directly from the XXXXXXX sportbike.... blah, blah, blah,...") but end up serving up a lukewarm facsimile.....

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
My point is: why can't they make something that looks like this

or this

Instead we get styling a child watching too much Japanese cartoons could come up with.
Don't get my wrong: my brother had a CB1300. I stole it from him more than once. One of the best road bikes I have ever ridden, surprisingly fast and one of my most stupid mistakes was not buying it from him when he was looking for a CBR1000RR. One day (perhaps next year) I will swap my SP2 for one of those.
Well, Ok, I agree with that. I have a Z1000, and I'm almost embarrassed by how silly the styling is. If one of those Hondas made 70ft*lbs at 6krpm and fueled cleanly from idle to an 11k red line, It would be a boss street bike.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Not so sure about the CB1100 (it's the old CB750 mill bored out) but the CB1300 engine is the old CBR1000F "Hurricane" unit bored out. It peaks at about 8000 rpm and max torque is at 120 Nm at 5000 rpm so we are pretty close to your specs.
The only thing it really needs is a new seat but Kahedo builds one (I have one on the BMW... cheaper and much more comfortable than Corbin) so who cares?
Ah, must stop talking about that bike or I will do something I will regret! :mad:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Funny how many dealers are still asking around $10K to $12K for a non-current V-Twin Tuono when you can get a new V4 for not much more . Oh Larry ... :rolleyes:

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Funny how many dealers are still asking around $10K to $12K for a non-current V-Twin Tuono when you can get a new V4 for not much more . Oh Larry ... :rolleyes:
Are they Factory of the standard R? Around the first of the year there were several new 06-08 R models for around $7500. That represents a great deal, but as supply dwindles I guess dealers with models left can't help but get a bit greedy and hope for a shopper that is less than savvy to look online.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Factory for $12K , R for $10K . But what pisses me off is a stealer who claims the bike is "brand new" , then upon contact tells you it has "only 1200 miles on it ." This has happened thrice !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.