Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I'm sure the housing developments around the tracks will love them....so quiet they won't hear a thing.

S'funny, but when production racing classes tried standard OEM exhaust rules in South Africa in the 70s or 80s...and the crowd attendances fell, they switched back to noisy race exhausts. One wonders if the same won't occur to these clever machines.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Quite frankly, this is in my opinion, just a fad and electric racing will never create any excitement. Battery power will not be the energy choice of the future and all of this will eventually be a memory.

Matthew

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Quite frankly, this is in my opinion, just a fad and horseless carriages will never create any excitement. Internal combustion power will not be the energy choice of the future and all of this will eventually be a memory.

Matthew
fixed that for ya.

you know, if we all thought this way, the human race would still be living in caves and killing animals with spears for food.

try to pry your mind open, if only a little bit.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
but when production racing classes tried standard OEM exhaust rules in South Africa in the 70s or 80s...and the crowd attendances fell, they switched back to noisy race exhausts. One wonders if the same won't occur to these clever machines.
I dont think it's even close to being the same thing. People who are willing to watch one of these events already know it'll be a quiet one, I also think them being electric will be what causes some interest in the series..........as stated, try to have an open mind to this, the development of this series could only lead to advancements in battery performance we'll all enjoy.

·
5,671 Posts
I dont think it's even close to being the same thing. People who are willing to watch one of these events already know it'll be a quiet one, I also think them being electric will be what causes some interest in the series..........as stated, try to have an open mind to this, the development of this series could only lead to advancements in battery performance we'll all enjoy.
I try my best to keep an open mind. I'm all for improved battery performance. I enjoy technology and technological advances, probably as much or more than you. I'm a bit of a techno-geek. I do not believe battery powered electic motorcycles will fulfill the need or desires of sports oriented motorcyclists, and especially not the long-term interest of racing audiences. History is clearly on the side of this opinion.....as EVERY successful motor racing class embodies loud, IC, exhaust and EVERY attempt to run quiet (even stock IC exhaust level) noises has been a racing audience failure.

I ask you to keep an open mind on this topic as well, and we'll both see where this battery powered electric sportbike technology ends up. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Electric Kool-Aid drinkers.

That's classic, WE'RE supposed to "pry open our minds" and embrace a technology that has been a dead end for over a hundred-and-sixty years. You guys sound like Larry.
Talk about living in caves.

Attachments

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Ive said it before and Ill say it again: Nobody is going to force you to buy an electric bike. You (and I) will continue to enjoy our dino burners for the rest of our lives, and probably for a few generations after that. But the fact of the matter is they arent just coming, they are already here.

IC engine technology advanced more rapidly than electric motors simply because they were relatively simple, purely mechanical devices that used a lot of tech already developed for use in steam engines. Electricity wasnt fully understood back then (even with some of the greatest minds of the time working with it) and we didnt have the sophisticated electronics needed to control it with precision.

And dont think for a second that your current bike hasnt benefited from electric/electronic development. How do you think it got that tiny computer (which has more computing power than NASA used to land on the moon) that knows exactly when and how long to fire your injectors and sparkplugs (as well as vary secondary butterflies or variable intakes) to give you a butter-smooth powerband to play with? How do you think it got that starter motor thats smaller than your fist, yet spins the engine over no problem, and a battery thats not much bigger than your fist, yet provides the amps needed without fail? How about those headlights that light up the road like its daylight? Yes, such a dead technology. :rolleyes:

·
3,888 Posts
I think you missed the point.... The future will most likely be something along the lines of an alternative fuel such as hydrogen, bridged by a distillate or natural gas or some other type of bio fuel. Batteries are extremely inefficient and create some of the same and all sorts of new problems that they were supposed to remedy in the first place.

Matthew
fixed that for ya.

you know, if we all thought this way, the human race would still be living in caves and killing animals with spears for food.

try to pry your mind open, if only a little bit.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
I think you missed the point.... The future will most likely be something along the lines of an alternative fuel such as hydrogen, bridged by a distillate or natural gas or some other type of bio fuel. Batteries are extremely inefficient and create some of the same and all sorts of new problems that they were supposed to remedy in the first place.

Matthew
Bio fuels will definately be a factor, but they are currently less efficient than batteries. It takes more energy to get ethanol from corn than the ethanol provides, for example. Again, technology being developed while we type, and given the advances we've made up to now, theres no reason to think it cant get any better.

And electric motors are far more efficient at converting stored energy into usable power than IC engines can dream about. But, gasoline has a far higher energy density than current battery technology can achieve. So what do you want? Superior energy storage at the cost of extremely low efficiency in use or superior efficiency at the cost of less storage?

the great thing is, all the technologies are rapidly advancing, and that can only mean good things for the future :)

·
3,888 Posts
Corn ethanol is not efficient, sugar ethanol is much more efficient and distillates are really efficient. Alternative fuels are showcased in the ALMS series and the Audi and Peugeot teams run the dominating diesels. Batteries require energy from power plants (which we are in short supply and we can't seem to decide if we will build coal or nuclear), they have very limited range, are heavy and will require replacement after a period of time and disposal of toxic substances. You are right when you say that electric motors are very efficient at transferring stored energy but the negatives outweigh the benefits.

Matthew
Bio fuels will definately be a factor, but they are currently less efficient than batteries. It takes more energy to get ethanol from corn than the ethanol provides, for example. Again, technology being developed while we type, and given the advances we've made up to now, theres no reason to think it cant get any better.

And electric motors are far more efficient at converting stored energy into usable power than IC engines can dream about. But, gasoline has a far higher energy density than current battery technology can achieve. So what do you want? Superior energy storage at the cost of extremely low efficiency in use or superior efficiency at the cost of less storage?

the great thing is, all the technologies are rapidly advancing, and that can only mean good things for the future :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ive said it before and Ill say it again: Nobody is going to force you to buy an electric bike. You (and I) will continue to enjoy our dino burners for the rest of our lives, and probably for a few generations after that. But the fact of the matter is they arent just coming, they are already here.

IC engine technology advanced more rapidly than electric motors simply because they were relatively simple, purely mechanical devices that used a lot of tech already developed for use in steam engines. Electricity wasnt fully understood back then (even with some of the greatest minds of the time working with it) and we didnt have the sophisticated electronics needed to control it with precision.

And dont think for a second that your current bike hasnt benefited from electric/electronic development. How do you think it got that tiny computer (which has more computing power than NASA used to land on the moon) that knows exactly when and how long to fire your injectors and sparkplugs (as well as vary secondary butterflies or variable intakes) to give you a butter-smooth powerband to play with? How do you think it got that starter motor thats smaller than your fist, yet spins the engine over no problem, and a battery thats not much bigger than your fist, yet provides the amps needed without fail? How about those headlights that light up the road like its daylight? Yes, such a dead technology. :rolleyes:

You just lost the argument by changing the subject. I'm not talking about electric or electronic technology supplementing internal combustion and you know that. The sycophantic repetition of frivolous trivia doesn't help to make a good argument on your part, and detracts from the position you and others hold.

Electric and electronic technology for the purposes of replacing IC technology is a piss poor replacement for the practicality of internal combustion technology. Period.

As far as the bold assertion that NO ONE WILL FORCE ME TO BUY AN ELECTRIC BIKE, I also never thought that the federal government would buy our largest auto maker with our tax money, sell it to the unions that helped bring it down while stiffing it's bond holders, then force it to make an electric vehicle that no one wants to buy subsequently causing said government to subsidize it's sale with, you guessed it, MY tax money. So while no will will ever hold a gun to my head to force an electric bike sale, that someone can do something almost as bad: force me through the use my earnings and the tax code to subsidize outdated inefficient technology while simultaneously limiting my choices on what it is that I actually want.

In addition, for the purposes of racing, I would be willing to guess that most spectators and riders would find riding an electric bike akin to riding a blender in terms of visceral appeal.

Attachments

·
5,671 Posts
You just lost the argument by changing the subject. I'm not talking about electric or electronic technology supplementing internal combustion and you know that. The sycophantic repetition of frivolous trivia doesn't help to make a good argument on your part, and detracts from the position you and others hold.

Electric and electronic technology for the purposes of replacing IC technology is a piss poor replacement for the practicality of internal combustion technology. Period.

As far as the bold assertion that NO ONE WILL FORCE ME TO BUY AN ELECTRIC BIKE, I also never thought that the federal government would buy our largest auto maker with our tax money, sell it to the unions that helped bring it down while stiffing it's bond holders, then force it to make an electric vehicle that no one wants to buy subsequently causing said government to subsidize it's sale with, you guessed it, MY tax money. So while no will will ever hold a gun to my head to force an electric bike sale, that someone can do something almost as bad: force me through the use my earnings and the tax code to subsidize outdated inefficient technology while simultaneously limiting my choices on what it is that I actually want.

In addition, for the purposes of racing, I would be willing to guess that most spectators and riders would find riding an electric bike akin to riding a blender in terms of visceral appeal.
Post of the week.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Post of the week.
Seriously? :D

Holy shit, I never realized thinking a new series with electric bikes would lead to some conspiratorial plot in cahoots with 'the man' to end the IC engine!!!

You guys need to chill out and enjoy life a little bit more. :D

·
5,671 Posts
Seriously? :D

Holy shit, I never realized thinking a new series with electric bikes would lead to some conspiratorial plot in cahoots with 'the man' to end the IC engine!!!

You guys need to chill out and enjoy life a little bit more. :D
I love life, and my wife says I chill out too much. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.