Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some assholes are purposely putting tranny fluid, and oil on corners at the Gap. So be careful out there. A riding partner of a guy I talk to on a ZX10R forum droped his Ducati because of this. Here is a past article about the problem. Apparently it's happening again. That's a good way to kill someone.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tailofthedragon.com »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">May 8, Sunday: South bound lane with 5 (new) deliberate oil spots on the dragon, TN DOT spread sand. Law Enforcement has a good lead on a suspect. Three cycle LEO's on the Dragon today, they were pretty upset about the oil spills. Road should be in good shape Monday. Quiet day on the Dragon, no serious incidents other than the oil spills. We heard that Chevrolet was on the Dragon last week filming a new ad. They had the original Chevy from Two Lane Blacktop filmed on the Dragon in 1972. We would love to have some photos if anyone has any. We are taking pledges for the reward offered for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons who oiled the road ... currently $750.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (SP8)

I guess you can't keep it totally clean all the time, but I know killboy and his crew go out of their way to clean up stuff like this, and to alert riders to such problems. Even though it's more crowded on the weekends, that's one good reason to ride on Saturdays and Sundays up there. That being said, it looks like this incident happened on a weekend so hopefully it didn't catch too many people out before they cleaned it up.

Wait a minute... this was three months ago?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (SP8)

The super highway they are planning in the area will take care of that. Nice place to visit but I could do without ever riding that stupid ass road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that was posted in may, they have since caught the POS responsible, but I dunno if the lynch mob got to him yet or not

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Dezmo)

People having been doing the same sort of stuff on Mt. Palomar here in San Diego. That and the PD is now using helicopters to nab bikers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The super highway they are planning in the area will take care of that. Nice place to visit but I could do without ever riding that stupid ass road.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what???
put the crack pipe down, It's affecting your judgement.

I'm not sure where abouts you've ridden, but there are practically no twisties anywhere near me. the gap is the tightest, best paved road I've ever been on. Definantely not a bright idea to be riding near 10/10ths, but to each his own. I know I couldn't help pushing myself when when I was there just because it got me so excited.
I've toned down my street pace alot since I started doing trackdays, but that road still gets me going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (Metcalfe)

i think Balls speak about the things that going on there not the road it's self... there are many many other other good roads with less traffic. If you want to knee down on public roads... get a ticket for isle of man and show to the people what you can do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

.....The Tail of the Dragon website is reporting another Fatality yesterday, apparently Jeremy Stuck 31, from Dixon Illinois was riding a ZX10r, lowsided and slid under an oncoming pickup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think Balls speak about the things that going on there not the road it's self... there are many many other other good roads with less traffic. If you want to knee down on public roads... get a ticket for isle of man and show to the people what you can do

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who's the flyguy in the pic? Nice form, good control....have some issues with the choice of clothing, or lack thereof, but not my skin on the line here.

I don't like Deal's Gap cuz it is waaaaay tooooo crowded on the weekends and there are poo-poos everywhere.......about fifty miles east of there are some roads that you can flat book on...lots of slicin and dicin....bookin way too fast for anyone to get upset when you scoot around them and then just disappear. Cherahola Skyway is also a biker's no man land....poo-poo choppers hang out there every weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who's the flyguy in the pic? Nice form, good control....have some issues with the choice of clothing, or lack thereof, but not my skin on the line here.

I don't like Deal's Gap cuz it is waaaaay tooooo crowded on the weekends and there are poo-poos everywhere.......about fifty miles east of there are some roads that you can flat book on...lots of slicin and dicin....bookin way too fast for anyone to get upset when you scoot around them and then just disappear. Cherahola Skyway is also a biker's no man land....poo-poo choppers hang out there every weekend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy is an absolute asshole.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (eye-p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eye-p »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This guy is an absolute asshole.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, we don't talk that way around here.....disagree yes, call names no.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Roadkill, they haven't done helos on the Cherahola in a while. No money to operate the fuel guzzler.

Metcalfe, Deal's is OK, but there are much better roads 100 miles south in the North Georgia mtns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, we don't talk that way around here.....disagree yes, call names no.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Because this guy FOR SURE looks like an asshole.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are you saying that the @$$hole is you? Are you refering to someone on this board or the guy in the photo? "this guy" just doesn't give us much to go on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about that.

I meant the guy in the pic.

I thought that was clear. If not, my apologies.

Again, the guy dragging his hand, while wearing shorts, is not smart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (TLSer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TLSer »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Metcalfe, Deal's is OK, but there are much better roads 100 miles south in the North Georgia mtns.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I've heard. I planned on heading down this October , but I think I've spent too much on trackdays/tires/parts this summer so I might not make it.

We've been to the smokies 2 years in a row, and figured this year we'd skip spending time in PA and WV and high tail it to the gap, and then have time to head into GA as well.

I really want to make this trip happen. It was the main reason I bought insurance this year. I was thinking about track only, but couldn't pass on the annual gap ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (eye-p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eye-p »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I meant the guy in the pic.
Again, the guy dragging his hand, while wearing shorts, is not smart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Being an idiot does not make him an A-hole

Looks to be (prolly) a good rider w/ too much confidence for his body's sake.
Not smart, but not for me to make his decisions. At least he is wearin' his boots

Kinda cool lookin pic, regardless

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metcalfe »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what???
put the crack pipe down, It's affecting your judgement.

I'm not sure where abouts you've ridden, but there are practically no twisties anywhere near me. the gap is the tightest, best paved road I've ever been on. Definantely not a bright idea to be riding near 10/10ths, but to each his own. I know I couldn't help pushing myself when when I was there just because it got me so excited.
I've toned down my street pace alot since I started doing trackdays, but that road still gets me going.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't smoke crack in fact I don' smoke at all. The road is a joke there are better places to ride than the gap. I've rode the entire 3 state area many times in 10 years trust me when I say the gap and skyway are for the idgits.
Ya wanna get hurt or worse die go right ahead and chances are it won't be the road that kills you it'll be some half with who thinks he has curves figured out headed right into you. The place is a joke, weekend want-a-bees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am with BALLS on this one.

That place is stupid. Prolly the highest concentration of squids in North America. I drove through there in my cage once, and I was terrified. I had at least 3 bikes cross double-yellow in a blind corner and almost hit my grill.

There are 100s of excellent paved roads all around blue ridge to ride. They might not be exactly as great as The Dragon, but they are at least 90% there. Comine that with absence of idiots, and they are better than The Dragon in my book by far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Trouble At Deal's Gap...... (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't smoke crack in fact I don' smoke at all. The road is a joke there are better places to ride than the gap. I've rode the entire 3 state area many times in 10 years trust me when I say the gap and skyway are for the idgits.
Ya wanna get hurt or worse die go right ahead and chances are it won't be the road that kills you it'll be some half with who thinks he has curves figured out headed right into you. The place is a joke, weekend want-a-bees.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

+2^^^

1 - 20 of 43 Posts