Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new street bike.

I am coming off a '02 SV650.

I only do two things on a street bike: Accompany my dad on short weekend rides, and participate in track days with my little brother.

Dad has a Triumph Bonneville. I know for certain that he thinks it would be cool for me to be riding a Triumph also, since I am his only riding partner. We just doodle around locally a couple times a month.

I am a middle of the pack guy at track days... if there are three groups, street, intermediate, and race, I am in the intermediate group, passing as much as being passed... this on a bone stock naked SV650 amongst R1s, Gixxers, RRs, desmoquattros, etc, many of which are race bikes. I'm not saying I'm a fast guy, I'm just not slow, and the light naked bike suits me. I don't need to be significantly faster than I am. I would hate to be slower, though.

I have a line on a new old stock Speed Four that has been discounted to six grand. The SV works well for me, but it's just a utility bike... it does nothing for me emotionally.

Here's my question: Should I get the Speed Four, or should I get a new SV650?

I have an emotional answer. But is the practical answer different?

Will I find myself thinking: "Damn this funny looking British hunk of crap! I wish I still had an SV!"?

Would I be just as happy on the track?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Triumph Speed Four - for equal parts track days, Sunday rides to brunch? (banda)

Considering that the Speed 4 is basicly a TT600, but without body work and different bars. I think you'd find the handling of the Speed 4 to be much better than the stock SV. It will certainly be more adjustable than the SV. It won't have the grunt of the Suzuki twin, it is a 600 I-4 afterall. But, from all reports, it's a great street tuned motor. But it can still be alot of fun on the track.

Newer SVs will feel different than your bike. From what I've gathered the FI ain't bad, but the handing is just different. Not bad, not better, just different. I don't know what exactly that entails, but it's what I've been led to believe. Pete Jensen, in O'Fallon, MO, has a new generation SV650, it's an S though. Maybe he'd swap with you for a bit, well, if you'd show up for the HSTA rides anymore
j/k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Triumph Speed Four - for equal parts track days, Sunday rides to brunch? (stk0308)

I'd go on HSTA rides, but y'all go farther before the first rest stop than my dad wants to go all day.

Also, you guys are getting up there on the crash rate from what I hear... or have the rumors been overblown?

Dad and I might make it to Huck's Road and Track. But don't expect to see us on the average Saturday until my dad feels like riding more than two hours in a day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Triumph Speed Four - for equal parts track days, Sunday rides to brunch? (banda)

spoke to a guy with a speed four this past sunday & said he was not happy with it
low on power & he said it had been in & out of the dealer continuously for oil leaking problems

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Triumph Speed Four - for equal parts track days, Sunday rides to brunch? (bionicman)

just read an article saying they are having alot of cranks breaking on the new sv650's..something to do with the way they are machining the newer cases and not using thrust shims. just my

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go on HSTA rides, but y'all go farther before the first rest stop than my dad wants to go all day.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ma Bob is usually the one designing routes for us now, so yeah plan on riding all day if you wanna make lunch with us. One of the reasons why I didn't go with them Sunday was the planned lunch was Mammoth Springs, AR. That's just too far, for me, this early in the season.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, you guys are getting up there on the crash rate from what I hear... or have the rumors been overblown?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes and no. As far as I know this weekend was clean(I only rode Sat). A few weekends ago we had a 900SS and a Goldwing go off in the same corner on the same ride. A particularly nasty corner on C, near Bixby. I haven't made many HSTA rides this year because I wimped out on the temp. I can recall 1 other discussion of a crash this year. It comes and goes. People have their own throttles, and it's usually people who are new to the group who crash. That's not an attempt to dismiss it, just a comment on a trend.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dad and I might make it to Huck's Road and Track. But don't expect to see us on the average Saturday until my dad feels like riding more than two hours in a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No worries, there's plenty of riding for everyone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Triumph Speed Four - for equal parts track days, Sunday rides to brunch? (rc51crazy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rc51crazy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just read an article saying they are having alot of cranks breaking on the new sv650's..something to do with the way they are machining the newer cases and not using thrust shims. just my
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you mean the RRW article. I wouldn't worry too much if your just intermediate level trackdaying, and normal riding it. The way I read it is the newer generation motor is not as up to constant race pressures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picking up a leftover orange '03 Speedfour on Tuesday. Many track days on the schedule. Could be interesting. I'll tell you how it turns out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Give us a full report on the Speed Four..........pics would be cool too.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts