Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some first-hand imput into the 03-04 Daytona 955.

Performance (street/canyons and track)
Quality
Reliability
Stock Suspension
Maintainance
Etc.

Currently on a Ducati 620 Monster, which I love, but looking for a more powerful, more track friendly(clearance) and tuneable suspension out of the box. The Japanese liter bikes don't do much for me and the Ducatis are a little to expensive. There are some killer deals on Daytonas and wanted to give them a look at sub $8k. Just need a little info from the educated.

Will ad, most of my riding is SoCal canyons and occassional track days. Not a commuter. I'm a big boy at 6'3" 240lbs. Rarely ride with a passenger. I like tofu and listen to speed metal, exclusively

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Triumph Daytona 955 Impressions? (GregP)

all I know is that they sound freakin' awesome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of My Riding Buddies has one and Loves it. Most other liter bikes walk from it but it can hold its own in the twisties and the Exhaust note alone is worth the Price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (TBONE)

Well I have some first hand track time on one. I was able to ride one on the track here in AZ. It was a free test ride day that a local dealership was holding. The words FREE and Race Track is all that needed to be said and i was there. As for the ride on the new bike I would say that it is a great all around bike because it offers a very good comfort level in the riding position and it feels real good on the track at a fast pace with the stock suspension. The springs in the front forks seemed a little soft for my riding style. The rear felt good over all. Power was to be expected for a 955. As for my back ground I have raced with the AMA for many years in the Pro Thunder Series placing in the top ten overall ever year with a best overall of 3rd for the season. Overall I would say it would be a great full time riding bike. Works great for everything. But that is just my

T.H. AMA #21

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Triumph Daytona 955 Impressions? (GregP)

The 955i was often tossed in as comparison to all the new litre bike reviews last year. Reviewers were enamored with the latest from Hon, Kaw, Yam, and it didn't come out near the top in any of them. However, telling was individual reviewer responses noting if it was their money and most time was spent on roads versus track, the Daytona 955i would be their choice.

I have some nice rides and would concur. The 955i can stay with anything on the road, and would only be at disadvantage (slight) on the track all things equal... which is never the case. The thing flies, and does so with looks (nice ss swingarm), reliability (zero problems with mine), and that inimitable triple howl as noted above. If looking for something with personality, non UJM name/looks, and a great price to boot, put the 955i on the short list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Triumph Daytona 955 Impressions? (sfarson)

Thanks for the info guys. I have no illusions of keeping up with the liter bike set. I couldn't keep up if I was on a liter bike so. . .

Just looking for a competant sportbike with a little style, less radical ergos then the typical liter and a solid suspension out of the box. Oh yeah, and a bike I can spin around the track from time to time and not worry about the yahoo on the HD Road King passing me in the straights

I was looking at the RC51 pretty hard and still love the bike but after a short ride, at 6'3", I was feeling like I needed a message. I have done the mod thing with my Monster and it's getting a little old.

Thanks Again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.