Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you put Stabil (or other product) in your tank to counter ethanol in gas? The local BMW bike dealer here is saying that US gas is creating problems to fuel injectors.

My mechanic said stay away from Stabil and use an Octane booster or dilluted fuel injector cleaner only. Any comments?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Now that's the famous million dollar question.
We Europeans got away with it since in 2008 Germany said nein to ethanol fuel and the rest of the Continent caught their drift.
At the time I investigated what could be done to counter the effects of ethanol in fuel.
You quoted fuel additives. The only help you'll get is from combustion enhancing additives. Plainly put they will help your engine run moisture-soaked ethanol fuel (ethanol "helps" your fuel retain water... too tired to give the details right now ;)). I have no idea which brands market these products in the US (STP?). :banghead
Some mechanics suggested fitting a 10 micron filter to the fuel line. While it may work to help keep water out of the injectors it will need to be regularly cleaned or you may end up stranded in the middle of nowhere (these filters clog fast).
By attracting more moisture you also end up degrading the "good" part of your fuel faster. The only cure is to avoid having fuel sitting around in your tank for too long.
I won't spend time lecturing you on "how ethanol dissolves gum etc" because frankly that piece has already been played ad nauseam on the Internet.
In short: there's no "magic bullet" to cure problems caused by ethanol blend fuel. The best solution: avoid it when possible.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We've been using this in the PWC's we service.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Yup , the StarTron claims to counter effects of ethanol . I just use Shell's V-Power 91 which has none according to their expert .

·
LiveStrong
223 Posts
Crap Gas

I have two older cars and they run like shit on gas with Ethanol. I have found 3 different gas stations that sell Ethanol free gas here in Nashville. Let me tell you the difference is amazing. The cars run much better and I get about 30% better gas mileage. I now go out of my way for Ethanol free gass.

Not to mention I think it is f*cking crazy to support a product that only exists because of goverment subsidy. Ethanol costs more energy to creat than it yealds...so stupid. Only in America :banghead

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I now go out of my way for Ethanol free gass.

Not to mention I think it is f*cking crazy to support a product that only exists because of goverment subsidy. Ethanol costs more energy to creat than it yealds...so stupid. Only in America :banghead
:clapper :notworthy I second all of the above.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
If you mix water with the etholfuel the water will pull out the ethanol and separate it from the gasoline. Only problem is that the oxygenate will get pulled out as well. Not sure how one gets around that though. I'm sure a google search will pull up enough information to keep one busy for a few years.

The lesson here is to not let your state inact an ethanol policy. Once they get that in place its all but impossible to repeal it. Ethanol has absolutely no redeaming value to it whatsoever. If anybody tries to tell you different they are flat out lying. There is overwhelming evidence easily availible to prove this.

·
LiveStrong
223 Posts
The lesson here is to not let your state inact an ethanol policy. Once they get that in place its all but impossible to repeal it. Ethanol has absolutely no redeaming value to it whatsoever. If anybody tries to tell you different they are flat out lying. There is overwhelming evidence easily availible to prove this.[/quote]

+1 Well Said!

·
2,737 Posts
As we know, ethanol is a joke. Here in the states there was a paper / media release written by the EPA back in about 1999 that stated ethanol has no benefits to reducing emissions. Since then, that paper has mysteriously disappeared.

Today it's simply a business that benefits politicians. Under the table money, nepotism running the ethanol business etc. The net is reduced food stocks, less mileage up to 15%, fuel that spoils quickly, and more costly vehicles as more stainless steel is needed in the fuel systems as alcohol just loves to attack the iron in carbon steel.

It's just another myopic feel good about the environment policy that creates more pollution than without it.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Are there any KNOWN brands or fuel varieties of standard street pump gas that do NOT have ethanol in states that allow ethanol?

Seems that nearly everything here in Michigan runs 10% ethanol.

I've heard Citco runs straight gas, but no confirmation. I'd personally ignore the Chavez / Venezuela ownership of Citco just to be able to run straight gas, if this would be true, but we should not be held to make such a decision by stupid politicians.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
There are two stations in my area who say they have ethanel free fuel. I believe it is the station's choice to carry ethanel fuel or not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bingo on the stations choice. I just found 91 ethanol free at a new kwik trip that opened up by me. The other ones I had previously gone to were all ethanol.

·
2,737 Posts
Use of alky or no alky depends on state legislation. Yet if there is a chance of making money from it and to appease the greenies, your governor will likely sign it into law if not already has. After all, 10-15% less mileage = 10-15% more tax revenue based on increased usage.

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
Yup , the StarTron claims to counter effects of ethanol .
Ahh yes, the "horrible" effects of 10% ethanol gasoline.

Great way to sell something though. Cause and take advantage of fear. Must have been invented by a Republican.

·
2,737 Posts
Actually touted by the Archer Daniels Midland group lobbyists about 20 years ago to the eco dems on capitol hill. Lined their pockets pretty well too. Then Algore gets a back pocket influx and started flogging it and influenced the EPA. To remain credible, the EPA released that 1999 paper on the non beneficial aspects of it in fuel. (wish I still had it but it was lost when an old computer of mine died) Algore kept on selling it so all the dumbocrats jumped onboard. Here in cheeseland there is an alky plant owned by the brother of a republican senator. For some strange reason as soon as the plant was poised for expansion, favorable legislation to more widespread alky use was signed by the ultra liberal dem governor.

So you see Rx, it's not about rep/dems, it's about where the money is funneled and what politicians are getting fat off of it. And we all pay the price for the politicians greed with a poor and corrosive choice for fuel.

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
It was a joke man. Maybe you didn't get it but it was still a joke. Sorry I couldn't even make it through your nearly angry, poorly aimed, convoluted paragraph.

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
I don't know how you people are such experts on ethanol. Where I live it's been in the gasoline for 25 years and recently it's law to be mixed 10%. That's law, every station! In 2013 it will be 20% thanks to among others, Tim Pawlenty.

Nearly all of the politicians around here support the principal. I think they just feel like they're doing something. Something that helps the farmers and the environment. But really, it's misguided. Believe me, I know. There is a significant ethanol plant 2 miles from my home that runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at which one of my best friends is a supervisor.

But really, all the stories of carburetors being eaten, gas tanks full of water, incomprehensible drop in mileage, etc, are wildly exaggerated.

Anyhoo, here's an interesting short read.

Many Reasons to Oppose New Ethanol Mandate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts