Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first trackday in a week and trailering the bike for the first time. I've seen people use between 2-4 tie downs, but I've got two. Do I need to get two more?
Anybody use their rearstand to sort of anchor the bike as well in the trailer?
I've got the PitBull rearstand for the 748 (single side swingarm).

Thanks!!
Bobby

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: trailering tips? (bcpucky)

How much did you spend on those tie downs? $15-25. Is watching your 748 grinding itself into oblivion as it slides down the highway worth $25. I always use two tiedowns per side in the front with a canyon dancer. The front wheel is also in a chock. I wouldn't use the rearstand while transporting the bike. Just make sure the rear end of the bike can't move side to side and you'll be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I always use 4 straps. Use a canyon dancer on the bars with two straps and two at the rear of the bike on the frame above the rearsets. I personally wouldn't have the bike on a rear stand while trailering.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: trailering tips? (negativegs)

I use 4 straps and the rearstand that came in the crate with the bike not my pitbull!

Thats the only reason I keep that old stand, it works perfect for this

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: trailering tips? (brettmess24)

4 tiedowns + 1 sportchock

2 tiedowns on the front connedting to the lower of the triples gently pulling
the bike forward.

2 tiedowns connecting to the pegs pulling forward.

using a sportchock you dont need to pull hard down on the forks. (saves
the seals)

mine has grooves, so I dont need to worry about the rear sliding, but
some people tie there too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ducati_atx,

You using the Baxley sport chock? I have one but have not used it on the trailer yet. Glad to hear the you use the front tie down for back up.

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tie the girl on properly, tie downs are cheap.

I use two at the front and two at the back, I put the rear tiedowns thru links at the back, if you have an accident and you are only tied forward you will have a 190kg missile, I saw a three wheeler go from a trailer and THRU the back of the cab of the ute, passenger killed driver seriously nutted and may as well be dead.

The sadest thing was he was not at fault as the other driver ran a stop sign, from that day on I have been very anal about tieing them on, its only an extra few minutes.

I also use a big cushy blanket taped and bungie cord on to stop any stone damage to lights/fairings.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: trailering tips? (Monstaman)

I’m guessing that I’m over killing the situation; I personally use 8 straps, Condor wheel chock and an enclosed trailer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: trailering tips? (BlackHawk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackHawk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and an enclosed trailer.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not a l l of us have enclosed trailers ......

Of course that is the ultimate tho

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (MGN54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MGN54 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ducati_atx,

You using the Baxley sport chock? I have one but have not used it on the trailer yet. Glad to hear the you use the front tie down for back up.

Mark</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup... love that thing... best 200-some-odd dollars Ive ever spent.

Ive used it on a trailer... on the back of my truck... in the pits at the track...
they rock.

and ya - although they say you dont need the front straps - I put them in there
just in case... but you dont really have to ratchet them down at all with their
chock - so its nice to not have to worry about the fork seals.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: trailering tips? (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tie the girl on properly, tie downs are cheap.

I use two at the front and two at the back, I put the rear tiedowns thru links at the back, if you have an accident and you are only tied forward you will have a 190kg missile, I saw a three wheeler go from a trailer and THRU the back of the cab of the ute, passenger killed driver seriously nutted and may as well be dead.

The sadest thing was he was not at fault as the other driver ran a stop sign, from that day on I have been very anal about tieing them on, its only an extra few minutes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

REminds me of the guy at Texas World Speedway a month or two back who
missed the turn at the end of the tunnel and went into the ditch with his bike
on the back of his truck. I was wondering how he just jacked up the light on
his bike and nothing else when I saw him in the pits - apparently it tagged the
back of his truck. (oops)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: trailering tips? (ducati_atx)

1 baxley sport chock for the front wheel
2 tie downs + canyon dancer up front
2 tie downs in the back hooked onto the frame

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: trailering tips? (jbraslins)

6 tie downs, 1 chock, & 1 rear stand

2 in the front around the lower triples with 1/2" compression of the forks
2 in the back around the frame
1 around the wheel anchored to the left of the trailer
1 around the rear stand anchored to the right of the trailer

i find using a rear stand you can release the tie downs by yourself without the drama of the bike popping up and leaning to the other side when you release the tension on one side.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: trailering tips? (slowpoke)

Baxly sport chock.

1 set of tie-downs to the top tripple (soft-ties through the tripple). Stopped using canyon dance b/c I got tired of tearing up my grips (plus - how are you going to get it home if you break a clip-on at the track?).

Repeat for second bike on trailer.

You can be redundant if you want but I've never had any problems.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: trailering tips? (Rooster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rooster »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">........ b/c I got tired of tearing up my grips (plus - how are you going to get it home if you break a clip-on at the track?).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't you just put on your spares...so you can keep riding your track day..... ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: trailering tips? (moto)

mmmmm, strapless.... that's hot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts