Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
tough as sardines
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a trackday on the RC51 this past weekend at VIR. Ambient temperatures started in the mid-40's up to very comfortable upper-60's by the afternoon sessions.

The bike ran nice and cool all morning but the afternoon temps started to worry me. I was pushing 218-219 if I got in any kind of draft on the straights. Eventually the fans must have kicked on and she'd get back down to 209-210 before creeping back up, this was all at speed. Is this normal on track? I'm worried when I do some more days over the summer I might overheat the piggy.

I'm running standard radiators but with the Spal fan mod on both. I had some crappy Cheetah plastics if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unless your not cooling off, I wouldn't stress it. You could always hey some radiator fins or front mounts if its a big deal to you

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
With air scoops installed I was usually around 88°C except during the hottest part of the day (around 30°C air temperature) when the bike would hit 95°C.
Since you haven't got any cooling mod those are normal track running temperature.

·
tough as sardines
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, that's kind of what I was thinking since everybody says the RC runs hot. I did just flush the system and refilled with distilled water and water wetter.

I might look at fins of some sort, anybody still sell them?

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Check your radiators for bent fins. Mine had what I am fairly sure was a dramatic reduction in effectiveness after this happened. I don't know when it happened, but it really seemed like the bike was staying hotter at my last trackday than it normally does.

Installing a manual switch is also a nice option. As stated, you could be running hot because of your map too.

Mine did this with the spal fan:

I bit of warning, that I have been meaning to post up about is that with these fans, I had some serious bending of the fins on one of my radiators. It seems that while the grate is good to keep stuff out, it won't keep everything out. I think that mine picked up some rubber bits off the track and ground them into the rads, judging by the bits of rubber that I found in the fins.

The fan blade was definitely not hitting the rad, it just shoved the rubber or pebble into the fins.

My suggestions would be to take some material out of the shroud, about the size of a nickel near the bottom for stuff to escape. Maybe one between each mount. No need to make it huge, as the grates on the back are pretty small.

This is what the spal did:

And for a reference, this is what the stock one did to the other side:

·
calculating status...
1,670 Posts
So I finally got a trackday on the RC51 this past weekend at VIR. Ambient temperatures started in the mid-40's up to very comfortable upper-60's by the afternoon sessions.

The bike ran nice and cool all morning but the afternoon temps started to worry me. I was pushing 218-219 if I got in any kind of draft on the straights. Eventually the fans must have kicked on and she'd get back down to 209-210 before creeping back up, this was all at speed. Is this normal on track? I'm worried when I do some more days over the summer I might overheat the piggy.
If I remember mine runs just a bit cooler on the track but that's when it's 85 degrees plus.

The thing with all of the "overheating" threads this board has seen is that the bikes in question are never really overheating. They're certainly running hot, just not overheating. The temps you saw are fine, but you were riding on a really cool day too. Were you running 50/50?

And the fan kicks on at 215.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The only time I check temps during a track session is when I am heading to the pits. I am somewhere between 220 and 230 (I have seen higher). This is at MMP with SPAL fan and lower temp switch running distilled water with water wetter. I have since installed Turnone scoops. Heading to Thunder hill this weekend, will let you know what happens at sea level.

·
tough as sardines
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All three times my fan has came on it's been at 215 degrees.
haha! Yeah, this is my streetbike too, and my fans kick on numerous times everytime I'm in the city. Everything cools normally though, so I'm not too stressed. I'll probably be doing my next TD in June so we'll see how hot she gets then.

Were you running 50/50?
I put in the recommended amount of water wetter from the bottle instructions, so about 10 capsfuls, maybe a bit more. The rest is delicous, store-bought distiller water.

@b.miller123
I probably need to pull the rads and have a look on the inner side. However, I don't see myself doing that until it's time to drain and refill with something that doesn't freeze below 32 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.