Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Track fan gets hit by ghost bike (Milhouse)

Ouch!

I swear it looks like the bike picks up speed after the rider bailed...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Track fan gets hit by ghost bike (998R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ouch!

I swear it looks like the bike picks up speed after the rider bailed...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Looks like power to weight ratio kicking in. Those look like 2-Stroke race bikes, so there is hardly any engine braking going on. Remove the 150 plus pounds for instant extra speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Track fan gets hit by ghost bike (Milhouse)

Dang, haven't seen that vid clip in years...it is several years old. No too hard to grasp though.....the old gyroscopic effect kicking in.....an object at a certain speed of rotation, when disturbed from that rotation, tries like hell to return to its original position. So...when the rotational object, in this case a motorized bicycle, handily disposes of its excess baggage (rider), it happily returns to what it was doing best but now without that excess baggage giving it any sense of direction.

I saw a guy go down a Talladega years ago early in the turn and the bike somehow stood itself back up for a brief period until it hit the sand and proceeded to have a yard sale of separate parts, some slightly damaged, some fairly gacked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts