Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am averaging one track day per month. My avg. track day costs, however, are pretty steep: FastTrack Riders Fee California Speedway $240.00+ New Tires incl installation $350.00+ Transportation $100.00+ incidentals incl gas and food $50.00= $740.00.
How often do you guys go to the track per month and what are your costs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (socal)

Do you put on fresh tires before every track day? If not, that drops 350 off your sum.

$240 for the day at CA speedway, from what I've seen, is on the high end (most events are ~ $180 avg.) so that's another $60 you'll save but the flipside is, the cheaper events are usually at Buttonwillow or Big Willow; the former being a longer haul than Fontana so you end up breaking even.

When I was tracking my car one or twice / month, I was budgeting roughly $1500 just for reg. fees. So if you're going to track your bike once a month, I'd budget about $3000 for the year for reg fees, a couple sets of tires and a couple sets of brake pads PLUS another $1000 for gas, lodging, food, and whatever else.

I'd say $4500/year or so is probably a good # for a track schedule of one event / month.

Modified by hubert at 5:12 PM 5/2/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (hubert)

I'm in the So-cal area... and I try to get a couple track days a month to keep the fix at bay.. Yep, expensive and can catch up with you in a bad way (Financially)... If your not careful.
Fasttrack at Fontana for me actually breaks even If I consider the cost for gas (Nissan Titan), time, and food.... that's compared to Willow and Button Willow. Willow springs is about 100-150 a day for registration , but from San Diego the 200 mile trip each way can be a killer (100 in gas + multiple meals). Button Willow is even farther for me, and that one really kills me in the gas department. Las Vegas, Laguna and the northern tracks... don't even want to think about it! If your in L.A... Look into the Willow's, has to be easier for you considering your already halfway there.
As far as tires go, I can go comfortably on a set per 2 track days.. A good example would be: Willow springs uses primarily your right side, Fontana your left
. Yeh, Im a cheapy but I take that into consideration for sure, haha. My RS250 can go a set per 3-4ish trackdays (There's a solution for you!).
What I really need/want, is a damn track built in San Diego County! Tons of areas in the valleys just east of the cities... We got a couple cart tracks, thinking about converting the CRF 450 to Motard duty.. there is another remedy, considering track fees are usually about $25 a day.

Modified by [email protected] at 5:27 PM 5/2/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

$240 for a track day
Does that include a pit crew and an umbrella girl...that's a lot of cash for a track day. Scrolling through my calendar for the season the average cost is $160 for a track day. Do you have NESBA, Sportbike Track Time, or Team Pro-Motion out there. I think my budget for the year...3 or 4 races and 10 track days came out to be somewhere around $5K, but I just switched to a higher paying job so I'll be modifying my plans this week...I need and crave more track time

Tires is a big part of the budget, I'd recommend trying to get more life out of your tires if you are getting new ones for each track day
Other cost like a generator, a EZ-up, race gas, and transponders can push the cost up too. Keeping it on two wheels helps too...

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

you should go here: http://www.thetrackclub.com/
you can do a "big dog" pass which is a good deal if you have the $ upfront. they run at buttonwillow mostly and its a great track day. You get lunch and alot of time on the track, I usually miss the first session and skip the last and still do 150miles on average. I rent a uhaul tailer $35 (for 2 days) ride up early in the morning and ride back after the track. So its just gas$ besides your track fee. You can buy tires at the track as well, best deal going, mounting is built into the price. I am in LA as well, let me know if you need more info/whatever. I will be up there for memorial day for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fastrack at Fontana AMA course is the most expensive trackday here (except for maybe Laguna Seca), but to me it's worth it. You get the Nascar garages with 110 power everywhere, nice big work benches, fans overhead, SPEED channel on ll TV (about 1000 it seems), bathrooms all over the place, nice cafeteria, gas station with all flavors, an what I considewr an awesome track to boot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like a lot of los angelinos here, how about we try and time a trackday here, Fontana or Buttonwillow are my two favorites really, never a big fan of Willow Springs myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (drsus)

I was planning on going to the Big Track @ Willow on the 23rd of May. I have never been to Willow Springs. Why do you dislike Willow Dr. Sus??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (K-T-M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K-T-M »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Supermoto is where it's at.

$30 - $50 per day.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was planning on going to the Big Track @ Willow on the 23rd of May. I have never been to Willow Springs. Why do you dislike Willow Dr. Sus??</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, it's a good track, it's not so much that I dislike it (I like ANY track), it's just that there are what I consider much better tracks that are the same if not much closer in distance than Willow Springs. The small track is torture on anything bigger than a 600 ( I attribute that to my little piggy RC51), and the big track is nothing but a test of courage, which I'm all for, but not all day long. You'll get it when you ride it....think turn 8-9....be VERY careful with 9, that little bastard catches more victims than any turn at any track I know of. Then there's the weather over there, if it's not blazing hot, it's 60 mph winds (not good in the middle of a sand box), or freezing cold. BUT, I'd still ride the track if it wasn't for Buttonwillow or Fontana....hell I drive 5 to Pahrump with a smile on my face.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

man, big bikes are usually really hard on tires. I had an rc51 and I would get through a set of 208's in 1 day. now I got 600rr and after my 3rd trackday, they are still good! and funny thing is, I'm faster on the 600!

oh and on topic, I save on the little things like my own food, regular gas, cheap 4-banger pickup with good milage. it really adds up in savings over the year. and I don't crash
(knocking on wood)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Man, $340 for tires every trackday would put an end to that for me. I've been running the Bridgestone BT-002s and they have held up extremely well. I have put 4 track days on the front/rear (both Medium compound) during the past cooler months. I am switchng to a hard compound on the rear for the summer and will probably get at least one more day on my front. Also, they typically run about $280 to $290 for the set, and about $20 to mount when off the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (dhdrider)

i went with the poormans race tire, diablo corsas, rocking 3rd or 4th track day plus some street miles and still going strong!
Hoping to bump up to supercorsas or similar when these burn out, but so far lots of life and lots of laps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (Eddie)

I just went through a fresh Power race rear in one day on the 996.

ouch!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: $$Track Day$$ (Eddie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$259 for a set of Dunlop 208GP's @ race tire service.
Came to $275 delivered.
http://www.dunlopracing.com/</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I would recommend also.. Good price, stick like glue.. For an Intermediately skilled rider, I would say 2 track days out of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (drsus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drsus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well, it's a good track, it's not so much that I dislike it (I like ANY track), it's just that there are what I consider much better tracks that are the same if not much closer in distance than Willow Springs. The small track is torture on anything bigger than a 600 ( I attribute that to my little piggy RC51), and the big track is nothing but a test of courage, which I'm all for, but not all day long. You'll get it when you ride it....think turn 8-9....be VERY careful with 9, that little bastard catches more victims than any turn at any track I know of. Then there's the weather over there, if it's not blazing hot, it's 60 mph winds (not good in the middle of a sand box), or freezing cold. BUT, I'd still ride the track if it wasn't for Buttonwillow or Fontana....hell I drive 5 to Pahrump with a smile on my face.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree about the conditions there sucking but, otherwise, I think Willow's big track rocks! That track was made for liter bikes but it's still a blast on the TZ. It's fast, smooth and -- did I mention FAST??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts