Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attending my first track day,,,and me being a newbie to the track day scene,,,a few questions have been popping up in my mind.

1. Do you have to provide materials for taping over lights, mirrors, etc....? Or do most track days provide this for you?

2. What type of tape do most of you use?

3. I have read that due to the heat from the head lamps being on, the tape will become stuck to the glass and hard to remove,,,,is there any thing to over come this?

4. What are some of the basic essentials that I should take with me?

5. Should I wear an adult diaper, so I can shit and piss myself as I please? (Only a joke
)

6. I know that there will be a tire man there for new skins,,,,do they remove the tire/rims from the bike for you, or do you have to do that,,,,and they just put the new tires on the rims only? (I'm asking because I don't have a stand for the front)

7. And in your opinion, run some hardly used H2's that I already have on the bike or go with some new Pilot Powers? (Keep in mind that this is my first track day, and I don't believe I'll be going ALL-BALLZ-OUT)

Any help here will be greatly appreciated! I'm treading into new territory here, and not quite sure what to expect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (blkhalo996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkhalo996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm attending my first track day,,,and me being a newbie to the track day scene,,,a few questions have been popping up in my mind.

1. Do you have to provide materials for taping over lights, mirrors, etc....? Or do most track days provide this for you? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope you have to do that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. What type of tape do most of you use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blue painters tape available in the paint section of any hardware store works wonders & removes with no residue. Many trackday junkies also use standard sign vinyl that can be cut to size or even pre-cut to fit the headlights & taillights etc...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. I have read that due to the heat from the head lamps being on, the tape will become stuck to the glass and hard to remove,,,,is there any thing to over come this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

unplug the headlights & zip-tie the wires out of the way

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4. What are some of the basic essentials that I should take with me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cash, Extra Fuel, Honda polish to clean your faceshield, rags, your normal selection of tools, duct tape, any spare parts (bodywork, fairing stays, handle bars etc..) spare helmet if you have one with any extra face shields you might have, spare gloves, boots etc (if you have them, some of us even carry an assortment of nuts & bolts, enough oil for a complete oil change, oil filters, brake pads yada yada but that goes far beyond the scope of your question so I digress, but anything you have that you think you might need to get the bike back together in the event of an agricultural experience is a good thing to take with you (if you have the space to haul it)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">6. I know that there will be a tire man there for new skins,,,,do they remove the tire/rims from the bike for you, or do you have to do that,,,,and they just put the new tires on the rims only? (I'm asking because I don't have a stand for the front)</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a stand...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">7. And in your opinion, run some hardly used H2's that I already have on the bike or go with some new Pilot Powers? (Keep in mind that this is my first track day, and I don't believe I'll be going ALL-BALLZ-OUT)</TD></TR></TABLE>

If there is less than 500 miles on the tires then you are probably good to go, but I cannot stress enough the importance of good rubber. Not only for the grip & longevity they give you, but the confidence is even more important.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

*Look up through the turns

*Pay attention to the flags

*Have fun!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (socal)

dont ride over your head! its ok to be slow dude once in awhile, the speed will come just try
to learn your lines and have fun! of course if you are fast out of the box well more power to ya!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (LDH)

Gee Mike. You didn't address question #5. Is this a personal issue you'd rather not discuss on the internet?

Or are you in negotiations with "Depends" as a possible sponsor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (RC BS)

I've shat myself so many times going into the now removed Gravity Cavity at Road Atlanta that the skid marks I leave anywhere else pale in comparison...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkhalo996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm attending my first track day,,,and me being a newbie to the track day scene,,,

5. Should I wear an adult diaper, so I can shit and piss myself as I please? </TD></TR></TABLE>

At the very least I would recommend you bring an extra roll of toilet paper.

Start hyper-hydrating NOW!!!

If training school isn't included and costs extra, pay it and attend it.

If it is included, attend it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (RC BS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC BS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If training school isn't included and costs extra, pay it and attend it.

If it is included, attend it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm paying the extra for the school. I want to get all I can out of my first track day. I'm just getting all pumped up, wanting to go. Thanks for the input guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you can avoid it, don't tape anything, remove it. Doesn't actually take that long,

it gets you acquainted with your bike, and those parts are some of the most

expensive to replace. What kind of bike?

I remove,

Blinkers (if I had them
)

Mirrors (if I had them
)

headlight

tail light

Horn (" " " "
)

gauges (" " " "
)

kickstand (probably required to remove it)

passenger pegs (sometimes I left the hangers on to protect bodywork and exhaust)

and anything else that doesn't make it run or would cause a lack of control I.E. brake levers

Then go have some fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Track Day ?'s (svmango)

I'll be taking my Duc 996. Mirrors and front turn signals are already out of the picture. That's not a bad idea of removing some more, come to think of it. Shouldn't take long either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have posted this on a couple of forums & it has been well received.... It started out as simply a rant so infer what you will.....

Track Day Thoughts for Intermediate-Level Riders:

1. Don’t ride a bike you are unwilling to have damaged:
a. If you can’t afford to walk away from it, don’t put it on the track
b. If you make payments on it, you can’t afford it
c. If it is a street bike and you have insurance (and you should), make it full coverage – most policies cover ‘non-race’ track day events (obviously you should verify this with your carrier)
2. Your current bike is most likely far more than you can safely handle
3. A used, track prepped, mid-sized bike (like an SV 650) is a great track machine that will actually allow you improve faster than something that is too powerful for you
4. Prepare for damage – frame sliders, bar-end sliders, fork sliders, a few stickers
5. The Intermediate Group is the most dangerous. The range of skills is wide and most people, although fine with a stable environment, have problems dealing with unexpected situations that will and do occur
6. Expect the unexpected. Don’t assume that because you have been following a slower rider for several turns that they will hold their line when they get passed
7. Street vs. track experience really are NOT as interchangeable as you would expect
8. Buy the more track-oriented tires
9. Expect to buy tires – often
10. Buying a different bike every 2 or 3 years never allows you to really get to know it and you will not improve as quickly as if you stuck with the same bike for a longer period of time
11. Buy used track plastic; it is cheap, readily available & you have little emotional attachment to it
12. Keep spares handy:
a. Brake/clutch levers
b. Foot pegs
c. Clip-on bars
d. Helmet
e. Face shield
f. Gloves
13. Other people are actually not so fast – you are just really slow
a. Don’t rely on engine displacement to make you faster, you could actually end up with slower overall lap times and be more likely to crash
14. Know what you want to accomplish during each track session - plan your ride and ride your plan
a. Simply going fast is not a plan
b. Looking to pass people is not a plan
c. Looking to not get passed is not a plan
15. If your goal is to simply get your knee down, you will most likely be a danger to yourself and those around you – focus on track riding fundamentals. If you really want to look the part – buy used knee sliders
16. You, or those around you WILL over-react with the following:
a. Chopping the throttle off
b. Snapping the throttle on
c. Death-grip braking
d. Rushing the end of the straights
17. Judging proper corner speed takes time, practice and patience – you are most likely not carrying enough corner speed
18. Conditions where you should drop down into the slower group (if even for just the day or part of the day):
a. The bike is unfamiliar to you
b. The displacement is unfamiliar to you
c. The engine configuration is unfamiliar to you (switching between an I4 and a V-Twin is a HUGH change)
d. You have made significant performance/suspension modifications
e. You don’t feel well or are not 100% there physically, mentally or emotionally
19. Conditions where you should move up into the faster group:
a. More than one of the Control Riders tells you to move up to the faster group
b. If you believe you need to ASK to be moved up, you are not ready
20. Talk to more experienced riders about the overall track layout, riding lines, gear selection and anything else you can think of
21. Bring plenty of water, food, shade, gas, maintenance supplies, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.