Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Joeitall
318 Posts
1st track day ever, leave them on, & when you pit in, ck out if there scraped @ all :confused:

If there scraped, ask a control rider for next session to watch you (just be honest & say this is your 1st track day & you must have a bad body position since your scaping the peg scrapers), so he can tell you what your doing wrong in your body positions ;)

The cause of scraping them is from 1. to low of pegs, but 2. Mostly TOOO much lean angle which in turns causes less tyre contact, the more you hang off & keep the bike upright, the bigger tyre patch on the ground, which = more traction = more control !

99.9% of the time the control riders will help you & give you some great points( he may even say remove them for the next sessions, but you don't need to).

Then next time, you can remove them, or better yet get some real Rear Sets :rockon

Make sure your suspensions sag is set correctly for you B-4 doing a track day or any taking it up a notch canyon riding.

·
Registered
498 Posts
first trackday you wont scrape anything
Not necessarily true.

On my first track day, I was feeling pretty good. Hanging off A LOT, draggin knees, and such. One of the CR's told me to follow him. He went through the slowest turn of the track a bit faster than I had been taking it, and low and behold my brake pedal touched down. I ground it down and bent it back just from the lean angle. I thought I was going to low side, and stood it up into the grass. I probably could have gotten my upper body off a bit more, and I worked on that a lot after that, but I was hanging off a lot, and still did this. So IMO, yes take them off, but don't necessarily think that just because it is your first track day you won't drag anything. You may end up doing just that as your form is not going to be ideal until you work it out some. Just take it slow, work on your lines and your body position.

·
Year round hero!
282 Posts
Those peg feelers are there for a reason:- the stock cans and sidestand deck out!
If you have aftermarket cans that are thinner or high level, then yes, remove the peg feelers as they touch down very early. If you have standard pipes on your 51 then leave the feelers alone or you risk lifting the rear wheel off the floor as the can decks out and go into a lowside...
Get some aftermarket pipes then off with the feelers!! :twocents

·
Registered
498 Posts
Those peg feelers are there for a reason:- the stock cans and sidestand deck out!
If you have aftermarket cans that are thinner or high level, then yes, remove the peg feelers as they touch down very early. If you have standard pipes on your 51 then leave the feelers alone or you risk lifting the rear wheel off the floor as the can decks out and go into a lowside...
Get some aftermarket pipes then off with the feelers!! :twocents
Actually, I had my stock cans on when I drug the brake lever. The can never touched. Looking at pics, it did get close, but never did.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't understand why some people are recomending to leave them on.
That is total crap, get the damn things off of there. If you leave them on, you will return from a session and one or both will be gone. Now there is debris on the track waiting to damage a rider or bike.

Just take them off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1

And in the worst case, the feeler will rip the entire footpeg off the bike.
This happened to a friend of mine, he almost crashed his bike...
I left mine on for my first track day because I wasn't thinking enough to take them off. Sure as shit they rubbed, then I took them off and scraped peg. Luckily they were the stock pegs so they just folded up or I might have been in worse shape.

Then, I realized I didn't need that much lean angle to get around corners and really started riding well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.