Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently caught the track bug and am wondering what bike to get. i currently ride an mts 1200s and want a true track bike. problem is, i'm 6'3" 225lbs (no gear) and 34" inseam with limited joint flexibility (ok, ok... i'm old).

which sport bikes have the largest frames/best ergos for big guys?

on the duck side... i understand the 999 frame offers great flexibility with various rear sets and what not, and the 1198 is the largest frame.

thoughts?!?

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
My Suzuki TL1000R fits big frame guys pretty well.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I went to dealers and motorcycle shows and actually sat on bikes. I got what I thought would be best for me. To compare; Yamaha R6 small, more ass up racy riding position, I felt more on top of the bike (like my Ducati RS), Suzuki GSXR more relaxed ergos, I felt a bit more "in" the bike than on it.
I also considered aftermarket parts availability, ease of set up, ease of maintenance, reputation, and the intangibles (what I like). I also considered availability of used bikes in the market.
Not for me to say what you should do, but, I went for a 750 as a good compromise of size and speed. The idea of track riding is to have fun and learn. A 1000 is not really the best learning tool or the most fun.
I have seen very fast big guys on 600's and 749's. I have seen guys on 125's leave 1000cc bike standing still in the corners.
Try the bikes on for size and do some searches on various forums, racing, enthusiast, and street. You'll figure it out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i have recently caught the track bug and am wondering what bike to get. i currently ride an mts 1200s and want a true track bike. problem is, i'm 6'3" 225lbs (no gear) and 34" inseam with limited joint flexibility (ok, ok... i'm old).

on the duck side... i understand the 999 frame offers great flexibility with various rear sets and what not, and the 1198 is the largest frame.

thoughts?!?

Harley Fat Boy or try a new hobby. motorcycle racing isnt for you!

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts

thoughts?!?

First, Welcome to the forum

Here's my very informed $0.02

I owned a Ducati 999 for about 5 years and it was my absolute favorite bike at the time.

I am about 5 foot 10 inches and weigh at 225lbs so we're very similar. The 999 was pretty comfortable but it took some work to set up. Matt Carr of www.indyducati.com helped me out with that. In fact he has my old track 999 for sale I think. If you get the 999 you can't go wrong but be prepared to invest a little $$$ to get it perfect unless you buy one already set up.

Since selling the Duc I actually switched to a ZX-7R for Track Duty. I loved it so much I bought 2. One for the street and one for the track. I find that the OLDER bikes are better suited for larger riders like you and I, and the ZX-7R riding position mimics the Ducati 999 in many ways. I can recommend the ZX-7R for a few reasons:
1) It's got excellent front end which inspires confidence
2) They can be found cheap and if you ever need a part there are over 100 pages of parts on ebay.
3) They are easy to service
4) They hold up well in a crash. (many a newer bike have ended their trackdays after the 2nd session for a minor get-off. This wont be you. lol
5) When you're setting up the bike it's easy to find a baseline setting that works.
6) Since the bike only makes 110hp at the wheel with a pipe and jet kit you won't find it intimidating as your first track bike. You'll learn a lot because you won't be scared of it.

A couple of vids I made:

3rd person

Onboard

Either way you can't go wrong with any of the older bikes. My recommendation of bikes for larger riders is as follows:

Ducati 999 (adjustable chassis)
1996 - 2003ZX-7R (Great all around bike)
2002 ZX-9R (Great all around bike with more grunt than the ZX-7R but the 7R handles slightly better mid corner)
Aprilia Mille (Any year)
TL1000R (Be prepared to update the rear suspension with a Penske)
GSX-R750 (1996 all the way to 2005)
ZX-12R ( I once got smoked by an old dude on one of these at Mid Ohio. he was fast and showed me how well that bike handles even on the track)

Honorable mentions:
YZF-R6 - I know taller riders who like the ergos on this bike
CBR954RR - Throw on a steering damper and have at it
2004-2007 CBR1000RR - Decent ergos
Triumph Daytona 955i
2001 - 2004 GSX-R1000 (I owned a 2003 and it was pretty good. A little hard on the wrists but you'd expect that from a track bike)

Stay away from:
Ducati 916, 748, 996, 998 (All Racks!)
MV Agusta F4 ( I have one and it's an absolute torture rack!)
RC51

.....this is only my opinion and I'm sure others will have there's but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am 6'3", 205 and I ride the R1 on my track days. Also the older CBR (04-06) had good ergos. Sitting on a bunch of sportbikes, I concluded those 2 were the only ones that fit me well. Lots of room on the seat and my knees don't hit into random fairing parts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
2003-2004 Kawasaki 636 very tall seat height, firm suspension and plenty of power for a track newbie.
Useful mod fit the lower rear suspension rocker from the ZX6rr (600cc track version) two benefits first more progressive suspension actuation and also grease nipples, you may need to add a small spacer to the rear shock 10-11mm to retain STD ride height though.
lastly if you do buy one consider fitting a 120/70 front Tyre instead of the 120/65 it's a straight swap and gives better handling and grip IMO.
I wouldn't advise a 1000cc sportsbike as first trackbike no matter how much riding experience you have, some people do fine on them but like MX learn to go fast on the smaller stuff first then progress.
I think 750, 636 or 600 are plenty fast enough especially 750s and you'll learn better cornering techniques rather than just pinning the throttle out of corners.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I'm 6', 205 and race a 1st gen SV650 superbike. It fits me well. I race against guys MUCH bigger than me on the same bikes. The previous owner ofmy bike was 6'5'' and around 270....and he was in the expert class and won a championship.

·
Registered
806 Posts
6ft 2 and 250lbs here....
These are my currnet rides and thoughts:

1098 not exactly easy on he joints, but a large sized bike and lots of room and torque to move the weight..

2005 zx6r (636) this and the 03/04 636 are just awesome bikes and comfy as well, loads of parts out there and great track bikes (my personal favorite)

2006 675 triumph daytona, suprisingly comfy for how thin it is, feels small without a doubt, and lots of weight on the wrsits when you get tired...but an amazing machine wuith gsxr750 torque.

2004 zx10r, all day comfy and do it all bike, more than enough power to do anything you like...

All the CBR1000's i have ridden worked great and were roomy, would not hesitate to use on track especially for newer track rider with road experience.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm 6'4" and around 205 right now, I find my 03 Mille to be very comfortable. I have heard some say that they are crunched on the Mille, but I don't see it, I am all legs and feel fine on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.