Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing someone post a homemade tool for removing cam pulleys. I have a slight leak, more of a seep, from the seal behind the cam drive pulley. I probably could wait until the off season to fix it, but I think I want to do it now. I noticed it yesterday while installing new belts.

I saw the "tool tip" in the Haynes manual showing a home made tool. That was very close to the one I remember seeing posted. I'm not sure what I need to buy, or what tool I need to use to cut the thing so I can make my own. If you've made one, please post how...

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you have access to a Snap On vendor or catalogue, I believe you can use a S9613-Ball Joint Socket, it might need a little filing but should work ok.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, fogot to say that I had the same problem with the leak you mentioned. It was the result of the cam backing plate, (the rubber plate that presses into the cylinder head) becoming loose. I just tighten mine up ( the two socket screws evidently worked loose from vibration.) I was able to tighten them without removing the belts. cured the prblem. Found the same problem with the front cyclinder. Same fix

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Redduc)

Thanks for the number. I looked on the Snap On website, but they don't have a picture of that particular item. I'll try to Google it. Maybe I can find a pic so I know what I'm ordering!

Thanks for the tip too, but my leak is on the cam drive pulley, not the pulley on the heads. This is that double pulley above the clutch housing. No worse to get to I guess. The oil leaks down the front of the engine by the oil cooler lines, and finds its way to the bottom around the drain plug. Just a very slight film, so no real worry. I do want to fix it though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (redduck)

The socket with the four prongs? Try BCM,Bruce had a bag full literally,custom made the last time i was there.I bought one for $25.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (ducxl)

Made my own with a Dremel, and a 12 pt. Craftsman socket. I did it when fundage was low, used it for over 3 years now with no problems

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (ducxl)

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try the cut down socket idea first. The tool steel is pretty hard though. If I can't cut it with the tools I have available, I'll try a softer steel flange nut like they show in the Haynes manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts