Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ending my superbike, self abuse and beginning a new age of back happiness and comfortable commuting (here in So-Cal). It seems to be the "mature" riders choice these days.

Any obvious pros and cons? I am tired of the abuse by separation joints and potholes in commuting.. while accomodating my 6'8" frame.

Any advise?

I have lurked for years (back to '99, steve m. days, and smoth lik cofee tabel
) and have heard most of Balls +s and -s.. any more input.

Maybe a nice bike to take to Laguna next year (instead of waiting 3.5 hrs to get from the track to the 101, like this year).

Thanks!

Some pretty sweet deals out there... I like the blue '05 and am looking to spend about 7600 OTD. Any ideas?

Desperately seeking a new bike! (or slightly used...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: to V-Strom or not to V-Strom... (moto fiend)

i know what your saying cause i also was looking at the v-strom as a sportbike replacement and i actualy bought the 05 sv1000s,it's in between the 2,it's not as big as the v-strom and i'm more confortable with a little weight on my arms instead of all the weight on my lower back like the v-strom, and i like the bike a lot,i put soft luguage on it and it's ready to tour,it's maybe not the v-strom but it has the same motor and one advice i can give you before buying the v-strom is try it before you buy it,cause the motor needs some getting use to,some riders dont like the way the motor feels,it's kind of ruff in the lower rpm's and it took me a while before i got use to it,give it a good try before you buy it and if it feals good to you then i'm sure you will love the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: to V-Strom or not to V-Strom... (moto fiend)

I'm only 5'7" on a tall day, so I can't really help you with the ergos. I have just over 8K on my DL this year. IMO for the price you will not find a better "do everything pretty good" bike. I think if your weight matches your height, some suspension upgrades will be in order. If you are planning on doing any trips I would suggest a good set of side cases. Jesse or Happy Trails are two I would reccommend. Avoid the plactic hard cases, and the soft bags are too small for any serious packing. You will need to make your own decision on the windscreen, and seat. I love my V Strom, but I wouldn't buy another. I usually have at least two bikes, and the V Strom doesn't do any one thing well enough to stand out in a multi bike garage.

PS My 04 ran like crap until I put a Powercommander on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never ridden one, but I have chased them on the Ozark back roaads, some of the sweetest twisties around, and they're hard to keep in sight. Great gobs of torque, wide bars, nice high seating position... for the road, they just work better than sport bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (banda)

I have many stories of V-Strom bliss. Excellent motorcycle. no flashy anything, looks are questionable, motor is strong and the utility knife of two wheels. I have 33k hard miles on mine, I ride it not worship it. I've rode it in just about everything from slop to gravel to broken pavement, I've jumped it
wheelied it to death and rode it 600 miles straight many times. It has had a few wear and tear issues but nothing a good wrench could'nt fix. I do all my own maintenance, valves you name it. Service manual is needed but the bike is engineered well enough to work on easily. I have the Jesse bags on it now had the Givis at first. I have a GPS Garmin V bar mounted and a Valentine 1 radar detector on a shelf above the guages. It does two up duty very well and averages 40 mpg running 75~80 mph. I swapped the stoc ksteel bars for a Renthall bar that fits a KLR perfect fit and much better quality. I am 5'9" tall and have plenty of room on the bike. It is a tall bike but not that bad as most make it out to be. It will rail in the curves, pegs touch down to early but you get used to that. The big trailie dual sport tires last 8~10k miles for a rear. Pirelli makes a good set, the Tourances don't work well on it for a front tire only. The Michelins are very good but pricey. Chain drive is pretty good I currently have 17,500 miles ona DID chain with OEM sprockets. I love the bike, camp off it all the time. I was a sportbiker for years until the V-Strom came along. You won't see me much on my 750 but you will see me all the time on the V-Strom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BALLS)

Well, as long as we are showing pics! This is during a day trip in WI. Softbags are fine for a long day solo, but you can't beat the Jesse's for durability and capacity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (doughboy_748r)

Though I've moved on, she will always hold a place in my mental motorcycle vault as one of the best ever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy_748r »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll vote for a KTM</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could buy a DL and a DRZ for he price of a 950. I still want one though, I just wouldn't compare it to a V Strom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After road racing for about 3 years or so, I bought a VStrom about 6 months ago, and I love it. Getting back on the R1 feels "weird". Buying and riding the VStrom really brought back the fun of motorcycling for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

The bike feels weird at first if you're accumstomed to sportbikes, but that feeling passes, and then you wonder how you rode a sportbike for more than an hour at a time. Camping trips on the VStrom are the greatest.

The motor is fun, and the bike handles decent for what it is. Don't buy it for an off-road bike though, you'll be dissapointed. It will get you where you're going on the dirt, but it won't be any fun there (especially if your used to how well a dirt bike works).

Bottom line: Don't waste time...get one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Bynoid)

MNwilly,

yeah i guess you're right but the ktm guys are putting out some good models these days. v-strom looks like a great ride in any case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm still mad about speed. Perhaps you're more interested in longer rides, which a sportbike just doesn't offer with much comfort. It's a great idea having a bike suited for longer rides that can handle potholes and various pavement and roads. Currently, I have target fixation on the FZR.

But, you have to understand, I'm not into camping, marshmellows, hugging squirrels, subsituting Off bug-repellant spray for fancy cologne, and washing the grunties in a lake with a bar of ivory. I'm a fly 'leet city metrosexual, with a laser tan, polished molars, custom stewed up Florentine cologne, monk buckle snakeskin loafers with my initials on the toes, and I travel everywhere with my laptop, which begs for a wireless envirornment.

MC996miami, out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: to V-Strom or not to V-Strom... (Baasinator)

Would be great if other companies brink their mega on off in the states.. they are very popular in Europe.

another option is the Aprilia Pegaso 650 i think is imported in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.