Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone have any experience with these bikes. which would be "better", ie maint., performance, cost, etc. I like the fact that the TL has FI, but does anyone konw if it is well programmed or is it unrefined? I alos lke the front susp better on the TL.... any thougth's feel free.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
From what I know (and have read), the VTR is a better all-rounder. The TL is more powerful but has snatchy throttle response along with the less-than-stellar rotary damper in the rear.

In terms of what to watch out for on the VTR, the CCTs are prone to failure (easily fixed with APE mechanical units), as is the rectifier (easily replaced with a finned unit from a VFR800 or a R1/R6). Otherwise it`s a solid unit (granted it can benefit greatly from brake and suspension upgrades).

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The TLS has quite a bit more top-end power and a reputation for "lively" handling. It also has fuel injection while the Honda has carbs (the biggest ever fitted stock to any Honda IIRC). Tuning the Suzuki might be easier.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Tuning the VTR`s carbs is a piece of cake (been there, done that) and once properly set-up, throttle response is as close to perfect as you can get (not sure you can say that about the TL even after it has been re-mapped, as it is a very early generation set-up).

A great place to find info about both bikes is on the Micapeak registry (Motorcycle Registries). Should you choose to go the VTR route, I suggest you join up on the Superhawk forum (SuperHawk Forum) and possibly the UK-based VTR1000.org sites as they are both filled with helpful and knowledgeable folks who can likely answer any question you may have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I loved my Superhawk and would still own it if only it had a bigger gas tank.

The US model only ever had a 4.2 gallon tank although I believe Honda gave the UK version a slightly larger one in later versions
I think you would be lucky to get 120 miles out of a tank (unless you want to ride 55mph everywhere) Some company made a 6 gallon(?) aftermarket tank but they wanted close to $2k for it...IIRC

If Honda had switched to FI and gave it a slightly larger tank, it would have been an awesome sport-touring bike....but if they did that, it would have eaten into the VFR sales.

I ended up selling it after a buddy gave me a screaming deal on his R1100S.

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the great info guys.

I prefer the look, the motor, the brakes of the tls to the vtr, but the suspension woes of the tls concern me. As mentioned the thirst of the vtr combined with the small tank is a bit of a turn off...

I'm still up in the air about the 2. I guess I'm just keeping my eyes open for a great deal to be had regardless which one it is....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've owned one of each. Motor was great on the TLS, it had the damper changed for a Penske and helped the handling, but nothing could change that fact that it weighed a ton, and felt like it. The VTR was the best carbureted bike I've owned, despite the giant 48mm carbs, and the smoothest v-twin as well (none of the cantakerous stalling, coughing, sputtering, etc. that seems standard on high performance twins). It did everything well but the seat and fuel capacity hurt it on longer rides. The front brakes suffered due to their smaller diameter.

If I could do it again, I'd get the VTR and address the problems above. Or get a v-4, which are apparently magic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've owned both a TLs and a Superhawk. Both bikes need suspension help, the stock TLs forks are better... but the VTRs rear is better. (The TLs fork are almost exactly like the first gen. GSXR1000- so lots of tuning options there) The range and the stock seat make the VTR limited as far as "sport touring" goes. I don't miss the Superhawk, even though it was a really cool bike and with the Ohlins suspension I had on mine, it was smooth and predictable. The TL was a blast to ride with brute power and torque, pretty cool looks (mine was black from the factory) and decent handling once properly set-up. I'll have another TL eventually but probably not a VTR.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Rode both, never should have sold my VTR. Perfect bike imo for road and track days. King at none but more than anyone really needs beyond a dedicated track bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't let th rear shock of the TLS scare you away. I did trackdays and raced with that stock shock and made it work. You will be happy with the TLS.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Bimota claims an extra 15hp on the exact same motor thanks to a Magnetti Marelli ecu remap. Toss on some race filters and an exhaust and who knows how much more can be found.

·
virtually real
143 Posts
How would an SV1000S compare?

I also really like the idea of both the VTR and TLS, more so the VTR, but I'd want quite a lot more tank range. Things are far apart in Manitoba sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts