Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good online store for titanium fasteners for a RC 51? There was a site on EBay but the auction was over and I did not save the name.

John

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Not trying to flame anyone, but what is the fascination with Titanium. Yes, I know it is strong and light; and again yes I agree it has somewhat of an exotic look to it, but man I just don't see any benefit to having the stuff on a bike, especially a streetbike.

Probably just jealousy on my part because I can't afford to spend $80 for a set of new Ti pinch bolts. I mean, who knows, I could probably drop a full second off my lap times if I just had those Ti pinch bolts. But since they would more than likely end up on my steetbike, I'm also sure people would stop dead in traffic just to catch a glimpse of the admirable sheen glinting off the bottoms for my forks!

Oh, and when it comes to saving the .0000000000003 of an ounce by changing out the bolts that hold my heel guards on with that of Titanium pieces, I suppose I could just skip that extra jelly filled I was gonna have tomorrow moring.

Ti this, Ti that,... what morons!!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
what's the "moron" calling for? do you think you need to change your exhaust when you just use it for the street? will that extra hp really matter. c'mon its for the noise for the most part and the joy it gives when you look at it. same with the Ti. so he wants Ti on HIS bike. to each his own.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Well actually, he has a very valid point even though he may have not stated it quite as well as he could. I am never ceased to be baffled and amazed at the peeps who spend $$$$$ on their bike for carbon fiber this, that and the other and titanium this, that and the other for STREET bikes and even for track bikes (guys who have NO need for knee pucks because they have never moved 1/32" off their seat in their lives and have not the vaguest concept of a race line nor are they interested). I know peeps (super guys) who have spent $$$ on stuff for their bike that defies use. Race cans and stainless steel braided brake lines for a guy who oughta be in novice class and has been riding bikes for 25 years. But, hey, their money so why not? Beats spending it on gambling or drugs or tickets to watch the Atlanta Braves.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
dont forget to use a dab of antiseize on any Ti bolt being threaded into steel or alum, Ti will seize to dissimilar metals (and to itself), especially when heated. Doing this will save yourself a lot of time and grief in the future, especially on fasteners that will be loosened/tightened often, such as the aforementioned pinch bolts.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just saying Ti makes peoples eyes glaze over. I've gone and done $ vs. Lbs. comparo's and it's nuts. Something about silver grey metal that is irrestistable. Those links I posted also have prep compounds, etc.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We dropped I think it was 22lbs off a 900RR by replacing all the fasteners with Titanium. It cost dude a small fortune, but when yer serious about it every little bit counts & hell ya gotta spend yer money on something...

Now on the dumbass side of things I bought some Ti caliper bolts for my 1000RR & tried to drill them for safety wire & in the process broke 5 cobalt bits & then managed to overheat the metal which work hardens it to the point of being impenetrable. A machinist I am not... :rolleyes: So now I run the Ti bolts for the cool factor on the street & the OEM drilled bolts on the track & to be 100% honest about it right this second my left side caliper is safety wired (oem bolts) & the right side isn't (Ti) :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.