Speedzilla Forums banner

Tires...

1K views 13 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but there are always new tires and new opinions.

Looking to start preparing myself for '05 season of screwing around and track days. No serious racing for me.

3.5" front rim
4.25" rear rim

The Pirelli Diablo's (street comp) I have mounted now are OK, but I'm thinking an upgrade is in order. Something a bit stickier, at least in front.

What are you guys running, what do you recommend? What do you know about the Maxxis tires?

G
#2 ·
I have been using Maxxis tires, I like them.
On my CRF250R I have found soft f/r to work best for me.
I think most middleweight guys are running soft front and med. rear.

The price is low on these tires, so I am able to get new tires more often. I think this is better than spending more on a set and using them past their useful heat cycles.

G
#4 ·
Re: (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Medium intermediate on the front, soft slick on the rear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have thought that a stickier front tire and medium rear would be preferred.

G
#6 ·
Re: (Stookes24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stookes24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am sure that i can deal you some maxxis, if interested!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will they make me as fast as you are?

G
#7 ·
Re: (Dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will they make me as fast as you are? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stookes' speed is a moving target... I was able to tail him at the beginning of the year, but by October he was way out of my league.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would have thought that a stickier front tire and medium rear would be preferred.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Intermediate is the dry/wet tire... not a slick, and not a rain, but in between. So a medium Intermediate is about as sticky as a soft slick, but it has grooves in it for some damp pavement action, and has more bite in the dirt. Don't run a soft or supersoft Intermediate tire on dry pavement... it will tear or chunk after eight laps.

G
#8 ·
Re: (banda)

I saw Stookes ride in November.

I was behind him long enough for me to read "Stookes" across the back of his leathers. If his name was any longer I wouldn't have had the time to finish reading it.

I just picked up a set of Maxxis Intermediates (F&R) from eBay. $169 shipped.

G
#9 ·
Re: (Stookes24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stookes24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha it is longer its actually stookesberry but at $5 a letter its cheaper to do stookes and thats what every one calls me anyways!! Ya we have been putting tire softner on our maxxis! Seems to help quite a bit!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tire softener?

Sounds like something I need to have next time I rent a car, tell me more.

G
#13 ·
Re: Maxxis Tires

ok here is what we have as in Maxxis Tires!
Rears
- (4) Pressa SL2
- (2) Pressa SL1
- (1) Gold Speed Rain Blue Label
- (2) Gold Speed Rain Red Label Ultra Soft +$20
- (1) Gold Speed Rain Yellow Label
Fronts
- (6) Pressa SL2
- (1) Pressa SL1
- (1) Gold Speed Rain Yellow Label
- (3) Gold Speed Rain Red Label Ultra Soft- +20
- (1) Gold Speed Rain Blue Label

~Prices~
-Rears are $120
-Fronts are $100
-$140 for ultra softs

Contact me at Stookes24@mchsi.com or call me at 641-455-9130

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.