Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote today for $258.88 for the Michelin Pilot Powers for the street for my 99 900SS. Is that reasonable? And he wants $50 a tire for labor if I bring the bike in, that sounds high to me. I can get the Avon's for roughly the same price, any response on them? Thanks for the help.

Brennan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Tires... (BLZ2DWL)

$50 a tire
holy shite batman you should be able to romove both and get them both mounted for that price.

I got my Powers from ATV Direct on ebay for $230 shipped.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Tires... (brettmess24)

ducati shops in LA charge $90 for tire mounting! ouch!
best tire deals going are at the track, mounting is built into tire price or they charge something like $20 to mount a set you bring em.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tires... (duc_748)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duc_748 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ducati shops in LA charge $90 for tire mounting! ouch!
best tire deals going are at the track, mounting is built into tire price or they charge something like $20 to mount a set you bring em.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tires... (brettmess24)

jeez you can purchase a bead breaker and balancer for ~$200.00. One+ set of do it yourself mount and balance and you have paid for it at $90.00
. Matter of fact, I just got finished spooning on a set of Diablos. Took me about 2 hours start to finish.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid $218 to my door for Pilot Powers a couple months ago through Chaparral, then $52 for both to mount and balance at the local Honda/Suzuki shop, off the bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (duckboy)

Could be worse. I got a great deal on the tires. I think I paid like 220 for front and rear Pilot Powers on my 748. However, just droped bike at local honda dealer to get mounted cause they were close and had time to do it on a Saturday morning. I did not ask how much, well, got the bill: $150. Even if they were charging $75/hr labor, how the F$#! does it take 2 hrs to change tires and balance. For God's sake the rear wheel just comes off the swing arm, no chain to have to deal with either....... Needless to say, will never use that dealership again for anything.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Tires... (BLZ2DWL)

Man guess I should stop complaining about the 25 Euro (last year it was 15 a pair) I had to pay to have my two tires mounted & balanced

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Tires... (bruntr)

Wow. Amazing what some shops get for simple tire mount/balance. I'm glad I do my own work.
But for those that don't, it might be cheaper to send your wheels to Germany for the 25 euros!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Tires... (Old Fart)

This is what I use. It works good.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

I have less than $50.00 in all parts and materials. It's just crazy what they charge to mount wheels. It's just too easy to do it yourself if you have the time and desire.

I did just add a set of very free spinning bearings to use with my front and rear axles. This makes balancing them more accurate. The bearings mounted in the wheels have too much sticktion to get a good balance. The free spinning bearings have almost zero sticktion (light weight grease, and no seal). The 4 bearings ran me another $50.00.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Tires... (redduck)

$50 tire is outragous! A friend I know payed $75 for both (on the bike) and I thought THAT was kind of high. I know 2 local places that charge $10 per tire off the bike and $20 for on the bike. Another local shop charges $25.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Tires... (Cyanide41)

Hey Cyanide, what shops are you talking about? I'm in S.D. too, and I've been looking for shops to do tires. Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Tires... (bcpucky)

These two charge $10 off the bike and $20 on.
Grip - N- Balance (Michelin Rep)
Scott's Mororcycle Service

These guys charge $25 for front & Rear off the bike and $50
BuyMoto

Right now Cyclegear in El Cajon is selling pilot powers for $180 a set (for 180 rear) No other vendors I have found will touch that price!!

**Prices are to the best of my memory and may be incorrect or may have changed. I strongly suggest you contact the service providers for accurate pricing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts