Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this last weekend, I was at the track and after the last session of the first of 3 days my rear tire went flat. Turns out it had a puncture and a 1.5" slash. It must have happen on the last lap or in the pits since I did not notice anything wrong. There was no tire guys at the track but I managed to find a guy selling a new identical set of Dunlop GPA tires. By the time I got back to my camping spot, some dude that no one new, was in the process of removing my rear tire from my forged magnesium rims with tire irons. Within 25 minutes or less, he had the new tire on. To my amazement I could not find one scratch on the rims, that is how good he was. The other guys in my group were amazed how he so easily broke the bead with the tire irons only. I missed that part since I was in the process of buying tires.
I went from the prospects of my entire 3 day track weekend being over on the first day, since it was late on Saturday with no tire guys at the track and no dealers open, to having a new tire installed by some dude that no one had ever met before. Turns out he just immigrated from Ireland and was at the track just to be around bikes. He wasn't even riding.
I'm still in awe as to how quickly the guy could change a tire with tire irons.
I couldn't thank the guy enough. He wouldn't even accept a beer for his troubles. Had there been a lottery ticket vendor nearby, I would have bought a ticket right there and then.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great story!...

...but this part I'm calling bullshit!

That's probably the only reason that he hopped the fence:D now it all makes sense...
Call it what you want. I wrote this because it was such a good story and wanted to pass on. My day went from one of frustration to shear joy all because of some Irish dude and some good luck. A) lucky I didn't flat while on the back straight doing 240 kph B) lucky someone was selling tires C) lucky some dude with talents came by and lent a hand.

I too find it hard to believe that someone would turn down a beer. Who does that, certainly not me. You might find this to be an even taller tale but I also had Guinness in the cooler. I offered once and then another time. I've learned through the years that beer may be nectar to some but poison to others.
The guy was actually quite interesting to talk to. Both he and his wife ride motorcycles back in Ireland and he's worked on bikes for years; no shit. Turns out the economy is in real bad shape in Ireland and he Came to Canada for work since jobs are much more plentiful here. His wife is yet to follow, hence perhaps why he had time on his hands to hang around a track day event.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Great story but I hate to tell you that tire irons on a 5.5" or 6" rim with nice soft tires is very easy to do, you can actually get one side of the tire on with no irons just your hands.

The hard part is breaking the bead...and if he did it with just irons he did something that I've never heard of and something I would like to learn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great story but I hate to tell you that tire irons on a 5.5" or 6" rim with nice soft tires is very easy to do, you can actually get one side of the tire on with no irons just your hands.

The hard part is breaking the bead...and if he did it with just irons he did something that I've never heard of and something I would like to learn.
You are correct, he did install one side without irons. I did miss the part where he broke the bead with tire irons but everyone else standing around saw him do it and were in awe. The day before my buddy had a flat on his Bultaco and we changed the tire quite easily. He missed wasn't so lucky and missed half the day because no one had a patch for his tube and had to go off track to find a kit.
I've been doing track days with this group for 13 years (DOCC i.e. Ducati) and only know a small percentage of the riders, however there is always someone that is willing to help you out if you have an issue, no questions asked.
When I get a chance, I will post a track day video. Mosport is one of the premier tracks in Ontario, the other being Calabogie and is well suited for the RC; long and fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.