Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran over something on the road today and popped my rear tire :(. What tires are you guys running for stickiness on the street? Up until recently I was only riding a supermoto w/sumo slicks so a little behind the times on street tires.

·
1,061 Posts
I've had two sets of Pirelli Diablos now and have been very happy with them. I also have a set on my crf450r supermoto for the street ( I have not tried them yet with this bike as the season hasn't really started here in Michigan, this is also a tubeless setup).

I'm current using Bridgestone's on my RC51. I think Battlax BT something, I can't remember, but I like them.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Power Pure too. They get a little getting used to due to their extra soft construction (so run OE pressure on the road) but they are awsome. Finally got rid of that understeer of the Pilot Power family.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried a Power Pure rear on my CRF450R sumo and I couldn't get the grip I'd hoped for out of it, tried psi from 15-25ish. (Not to mention the 30something the tech filled it up to when I first got it, it was like wood at those pressures). The weight and overall difference of a sumo vs a 450lb RC could explain this though. I did like Pirellis on my last streetbike.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I'm on a second set of pilot powers, latest ones being the 2ct model. I have no complaints, but I'm slow on the track, and ride like your grandma on the street. :D I got something like 8k miles out of the first set, so that should tell you something about my riding habits. I'll probably try the pilot roads if the current pp 2ct's don't last long enough. That will give me an excuse to pick up a spare set of wheels and some dot slicks.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Tried a Power Pure rear on my CRF450R sumo and I couldn't get the grip I'd hoped for out of it, tried psi from 15-25ish. (Not to mention the 30something the tech filled it up to when I first got it, it was like wood at those pressures). The weight and overall difference of a sumo vs a 450lb RC could explain this though. I did like Pirellis on my last streetbike.
Yea don't compare tires on your 450 to your RC.... They are different animals. That is why they make Supermoto specific race tires. I like my pures on the street. They hook up when i want them too but if for some reason the do slide it is very predictable.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
I love Twins.
72 Posts
I had Bridgestones on and didn't like them at all. Droped the front down 4mm and raised the back 4mm and still had to swing out of it from corner to corner. Put a set of pilot power 2cts on there a few months back and love them to bits bike rolls around the corners now on it's own and the grip is very good. I havent had them on track yet but iv no chicken strips from fast road use.

So for me pilot power 2cts get my vote hands down. I'd be afraid to change now to another tyre just incase it's not as good. And I've a 190-50/17 on the rear.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd prefer to, but front is in awesome shape and I don't have money to burn as I just picked this RC up. Damn I'm conflicted on what tire to get now, lol. Grip/turn in is my primary concern with life being secondary. Cost is a factor to a degree.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It doesn't matter what tire I get, I can't get more than 4,000 mi. out of a back tire. No burn-out just ride hard. I love the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. 120/70 front and 190/55 rear. They handle great and stick like glue in the corners. Just keep an eye on your air pressure

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.