Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 6500 miles I have on my stock Dunlops are starting to show. Its time for new tires. Dunlop 208's or Michelin Pilot Roads? I want something that grips, but that is not super soft so that I can at least get 5-6000 miles out of them again. Opinions?

Trent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
your intended use would be helpful. I have had pirelli diablos on for pure street use - very grippy, great in the rain. They look like they will go for around 5K miles. Excellent tires overall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tire Opinions (Utah996)

Tried some Dunlop 220s and some Michelin Pilot Roads on my VTR for sport touring and liked the handling of the Michelins better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Tire Opinions (hairball)

I am curently running Michelin pilot powers, real grippy, decent wear. I have a had really good luck and wear before out of Avon Azaros. I hated the Dunlops the most, they take too long to heat up. Check out the pilot powers you will not be dissappointed http://www.tireexpress.com/cat...=1252

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (cliby)

Intended use....street mostly. Something that could handle the occasional twisty canyon ride. Thanks for the input so far.

Pilot Powers, yeah I was looking at these yesterday...they look sticky, but I was told wear would be about 4,000 miles...which I guess is pretty good for sticky tires. Thanks for the website for $210.99 I should pic up a few pairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been running the Bridgestone BT010/BT020 combination. I've got exactly 4655 miles on this set and the rear is just at the border of not passing inspection.

I don't want to go with a harder set because I ride pretty much anytime it is above freezing and there isn't any precipitation falling.

I ride slab M-F, but on the weekends I can easily put on a couple hundred miles of twisties. Keeps them from getting square :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Tire Opinions (Utah996)

I just bought a set of Contenintial Road Attachs. I started out immediatley with a 1000 mile plus road trip from central KY to VIR and I like them. You can't tell I put anywhere near that many mioles on them already. They reportedly get close to 10,000 mioles but I don't expect to get that many actual miles but so far I am impressed. My riding partner has decided to get a set of them also since he wore his out on the trip. Tireexpress.com also has a deal when buying a set for under $200.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (W-O-T)

For my self, I've just finish to use a set of Michelin Pilot Road, I was very unhappy with the front tire; too many cupping and too quick on the tire life!! On the other hand, the rear tire have gived me almost 20 000Km, this is very impressive especially that it was very sticky once warmed up! I never had problem on rain and even on cold asphalt of the autumn. But I won't come back with them again at least for the front tire.

I was tempting to the Pilot Sport or the new Pilot Power, but I find them too expensive, almost 50$ more than the "common" Battlax.

So, while I'm talking of them, now in front I've a BT014 which is, at the saying of my garage and also of some friend feedback, not cupping as the previous BT010! I've ride it in pair with my previous rear Pilot Road even if many people was saying to not mismatch tire brand! And I've nothing wrong to said about this mismatch, I've ride like this for almost 3000Km and everything was OK but maybe it's not the same for all mismatch!?

Now for the rear I've a BT020 even if many peoples also don't recommend them as they are too "hard" ( it was almost the same people that saying me to not mismatch tire, so I don't listen them again and I've try it...) But this time... it seem that they had right!! The BT020 is very not as sticky as the Pilot Road and the difference is huge! At least on rain because of course I've not test it on autumn cold asphalt but I'm not sure that I would like to test it!! Maybe I will change it before the autumn... I've do 3000Km with it and I'm very not impress, will see for the rest of is life...

And for the Dunlop, I had two bad experiences with them. D204 ( cupping a lot, not enough milleage ) and D220 ( very too hard and not sticky) so I won't put them again for now...

I think your tire choice will depend mostly on how you ride your bike, I'm a 25 000Km rider a year, so this is out of question for me to use 5000Km tire life, ( this is why the Pilot road choice and now the rear BT020 ) but I'm also a agressive rider, so I've to make some compromise... I put more "hard" tire and I let them warm up more long before to "attack".

Even if my two tires are almost brand new, I'm already thinking of what I will put next, and I think I will come back with a Pilot Road on the rear with a Pilot Sport in front, or maybe some Pirelli's!! Damm!! this is always a hard choice.... So, look at the use you will make of your tire and also of your type of riding, it will give you the best guideline for your new tire choice.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a couple sets of Metzeler sportec M1s. They have a nice round profile that the VTR likes. Warmed up quickly, and a great street tire IMO and not very expensive. I've heard people say they hated them. They must be twisting the throttle harder at full lean than I do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a set of Metzeler M1s on my SHawk. They were awesome, offering fast warm-up and very neutral turn-in characteristics. Unfortunately, they did not last long in high-temps and in terms of longevity.

After my M1s, I went to Pirelli Diablo Corsas. They were everything I loved about the M1s, and more so. Spectacular grip in turns, not quite as neutral turn-in, but definitely helps get the SuperChicken on its side. A friend of mine has regular Diablos, and he's done several trackdays as well as many commuting miles on them.

Since my SHawk is no longer going to be used on the track, I'll be getting a set of the Diablos or Michelin Pilot Powers.

On a side note, I have 208GPAs on my GSXR750, but I don't like them. Turn-in is very vague, as if the bike is just floating along the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Utah996)

Quote:
"Intended use....street mostly. Something that could handle the occasional twisty canyon ride. Thanks for the input so far. "

You'll love the Pilot Powers . They heat up fast , rather work well at lower temps . Seems the 208's need too much warm up time .

They last good , buy 1 front , two rears if you buy them because the front will last in your type riding .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts