Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm tired of paying through the nose to have my tires mounted and balanced. I used to work in a service station as a kid and mounted and balanced car tires, so how hard can it be to do a motorcycle tire? Anyone care to share some in's and outs of their procedure. Tools (store bought and otherwise), supplies and shortcut reccomendations are all welcome. I figure a bead breaker, some tire irons, mounting goo (lube or soapy water) a balancing rig are the essentiles. Any and all advice is welcome. And yes, I did try a seach first. Thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (edwyun)

does it really take a specal balancer cone or "hub" side type adapter to properly mount to balance a single sided swing arm hub ? My bike guy is going to do my stock rear 998 and says no problem...just trying to gather if a special balancing shaft size and cones or whatever are really needed thankss.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (throttlehead)

You will need an adaptor for the rear wheel. The way it made is he just puts the shaft thru it, it will fall over. I have one made from PVC pipe that screws in from each side. I can take a pic if you need it.

BTW I use the tire qwik stuff and have mounted LOTS of tires with it. Works great, highly reccommended.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (jcs182)

Ah yes, A picture would be cool. Thanks for the posts guys. I could build the bead breaker pretty easily but the tire quik bead breaker and balancer are pretty inexpensive as is. using an old car's 14" rim looks doable, but I bet a 50 gallon drum would work pretty well too (anyone using one?) w/o having to use my workbench as a mounting hub for it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (Ducaholic)

$10 rusted car rim, rattle can paint, and some rubber tubing:

Handy balancer:

FG adjustible bead breaker (don't even have to remove the rotors/etc.):

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have also decided to start doing my own tire changes/balancing. Here is what I have found, it is made in the ole USA. The Harbor Freight version is a knock of this one. A bit expensive but has everything you need. They also make a static balancer which attaches to the top.

http://www.wikco.com/MC110.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (jcs182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcs182 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW I use the tire qwik stuff and have mounted LOTS of tires with it. Works great, highly reccommended.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jon, any problems using the tire quik balancer with a 17mm rear axle (meaning will the supplied axle fit the 17mm bearings of my 1999 SS)?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Tire Mounting and Balancing (Nick D.)

I'll measure the shaft in the morning. But I think you are good. I have balanced 95 900SS wheels and a Paso 750 wheel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducaholic »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah yes, A picture would be cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is kind of what it looks like.

http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/vfr_adapter.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts