Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search for this, didn't find the answer:

Is it generally regarded as safe to have different brand tires on front/rear as long as the are same type? (e.g. both bias ply or radial, whichever type it is)? I have an OEM original Metz on an 01 M750 w.5500mi due for a new rear, but I don't want to run MEs again. If ok I'd like to put a Power on the rear and when the front is done in a couple thousand miles (if that) catch it up w.Power also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Tire interbranding (doocatiboy)

Re: above, what's the widely held belief about interbranding and intertyping, i.e. running a radial and a bias ply? I was on the phone with nobody of credentials at a moto tire store (though he rides and does both) who asserts the only reason manfctrs warn against doing either is b/c they want you to buy more of their tire.

So - have any anecdotal/empirical experience to share?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Tire interbranding (doocatiboy)

I have done this myself, and didnt like the feeling one bit, and changed the front the next day.

If you go with a power rear it will be stickier in the rear, which may cause you to push the front.

If you dont ride hard you will be okay, but im assuming you have a 748/916/996 and you probably dont pose to often

for $92 for a 120/70 Pilot power I would replace

but hay its your bike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tire interbranding (brettmess24)

I have run differing breeds between front and rear up till now, I believe unless you are tracking it or going warp factor two you will not notice the difference, you will howeve notice a night and day difference going from a old to a new tire.

I now run Pilot Powers complete as I love them, I used to run Pilot Sport front with bridgestone 020 rear, that combo worked great and not once did I feel things were getting out of hand.

my

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Tire interbranding (brettmess24)

It's actually for my brother's 01 M750 but on my 916 you're right, I would (as always have) stay with same fr/rear. Good pt on the stickiness; I don't know which ME is OEM on those Monsters but I'm willing to bet it's not as sticky as a Power, and for a conservative noob rider w.less than 6K mi on two wheels, I don't want to risk anything.

I guess what it boils down to is ya gotta try it on your bike under your riding habits.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive run diff tires from same manf before with no issues at all, such as mez4 rear and sportec front. (wanted better milage from rear and a sliding rear is no big deal but i prefer the front to stick) but dif manf can have totally diff type of profiles which I would think could have an unsettled feel in corners

1 - 6 of 6 Posts