Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear tires of my 750SS and CB750 wore out at the same time. When installing the new tire on the 750SS all is good up to a torque of 30Nm on the spindle nut. At the recommended 72Nm, the tire won't rotate by hand, but will rotate with much resistance when taken off the stand. Disassembled and reassembled three times, but same result. This is the first time I've replaced a rear tire on this bike. What am I missing?!?!?! No problem with the CB's tire.
Also, a local independent dealer told me that 99% of mail-order/internet motorcycle tires were "blems." While I suspect a bit of embellishment on his part, I'm wondering if it's possible to a lesser degree and how a buyer can protect himself. I asked the dealership mechanic who mounted my internet tires if he could recognize a "blem," and he said "a tire's a tire to me."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: tire installation problem and "blems" (AR Larry)

One of two things, it's either drastically out of alignment or a spacer is missing.

As far as "mail order blems" go, I will up his number of 99 to 100 percent ......... bullshit that is. All he is doing is trying to use terrorist sales tactics to justify his exhorbanant prices. Most tires just come from a distributor like Drag Specialties whether you order them or a shop does.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't know for your specific model 750ss, but on the carbed 900ss bikes, the rear rim has an axle spacer on the left hand side of the rim that's flat on one side and curved or conical on the other (you should be able to take it out with your hand). Make sure that the FLAT side of the spacer faces the swingarm.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: tire installation problem and "blems" (Phil 998)

did you put the cone shaped spacer (between swingarm and cushdrive) in backwards???? narrow end of the cone goes towards the wheel, wide side goes against the swingarm!

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: tire installation problem and "blems" (chris900ssie)

edwyn, your faster than me!

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: tire installation problem and "blems" (chris900ssie)

I had a similar prob. with my 'ol M750, I forgot to write down the order of spacers etc...Get a parts catalog, that should show you the order of things in an exploded diagram.

(I think)

In all good fun, one could say,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You guys are good - I'm sure the spacer's backwards. It fell out, of course, during initial disassemby, and the parts diagram wasn't sufficiently detailed. Now I can give the CB750 a break, and scuff up the new Pirelli on the 750ss. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts