Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do you guys or gals dispose of used tires? am i supposed to recycle them or take them somewhere? i tried to throw them away in the trashcan but they threw it back on my yard..(oops)

·
Trailer park trash
339 Posts
Anybody that wants to dispose of takeoffs that have good tread in the middle and not completely ragged out sides can give them to UPS who will in turn give them to me to dispose of :)

My buddy with the Hayabusa would probably also take a set, he's needing some tires. Just make sure they have enough stick left in them that he can lean it over 2 inches from center on each side :rolleyes: Sad thing is, I'm not joking.

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
You can just take them by the city landfill. They take mine for $2 a pair. Your dealer will take them too for a small charge.

Sometimes I have a big tire fire in my inlaws back yard. Make sure you get a good, hot fire, as pictured before you put the tires on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any local mechanic shop that does tires. Late at night I leave them by their storage shed/area. I figure they already have a service in place to properly dispose of or recycle old tires, why not take advantage of a process that is already in place

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure it's different all over the country, but here in WA, I take them to the dump and they take them for free. It costs to dispose of car tires, but not motorcycle tires. Go figure.

·
Trailer park trash
339 Posts
On a more serious note, do you know anybody that works in construction razzle? I live in smalltown USA so we probably do things differently here than in FL, but my father, grandfather, and cousin have a construction company together (not really a company but they are self employed). Most of the time when doing a job, and especially when roofing (if the old roof is to be removed), they have a dumpster, usually a large one, on site. Even 3 or 4 sets of bike tires would probably not even be noticed in the dumpster. They could take them to work and get rid of them in the morning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i thought of throwing it in some random dumpster(walmart). but i was just wondering if there was a reason for recycling them. all this christmas cheer is making me feel "responsible". thanks guys

·
Jenias Member
1,510 Posts
razzledazzle said:
yea i thought of throwing it in some random dumpster(walmart). but i was just wondering if there was a reason for recycling them. all this christmas cheer is making me feel "responsible". thanks guys
Well there are reasons for recycling them. First they dont biodgrade. Second when they burn, boy do they burn and its near impossible to put out. Third and most impostant imo is they grind them up and used them in asphault mix to make the roads better and last longer. Whether or not you want to pay whatever the fee is to drop them at some disposal place is up to you:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
E-Man said:
Any local mechanic shop that does tires. Late at night I leave them by their storage shed/area. I figure they already have a service in place to properly dispose of or recycle old tires, why not take advantage of a process that is already in place
That would be like me taking my garbage to your front door and thinking hell he has a garbage can he can take care of it for me . :wacky

I dont know about the state you are in but here in CA you have to pay to have them disposed of, so when you dump them on some shops back door you are costing them money. Just something to think about next time you do it.

As for the Question at hand most places that do tires will take them for a couple bucks each. I know the dump will take them but charge alot.

·
Silver and Black Attack!
540 Posts
Just take them to a local Cycle Gear, if you have one nearby. When you have your tires changed there, on the bottom of the bill is "Tire Disposal Fee" for like $2....

Don't be a menace to society while drinking your juice in the hood :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally Posted by twotone
That would be like me taking my garbage to your front door and thinking hell he has a garbage can he can take care of it for me . :wacky

I dont know about the state you are in but here in CA you have to pay to have them disposed of, so when you dump them on some shops back door you are costing them money. Just something to think about next time you do it.

As for the Question at hand most places that do tires will take them for a couple bucks each. I know the dump will take them but charge alot.

Looks like things here are not the same as in CA
.The local shops here have 2 options. They either have private individuals who come pick them up for free. Or they have their suppliers pick them up for free when they deliver a load. These people then take the tires to the local recycler and get cash for them. Like when you take aluminum cans to the recycler and get cash for them by the pound. The dumps here don't take tires for reasons union posted.

I'm not thin skinned and you’re right you don't know how they do it in my state. But please don't accuse me of taking my garbage to someones front door and have them take care of it for me. Especially when there are others here who suggested doing just that.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sneaks to my dealer in the middle of the night and drops my old tires in their 'old tire' pile. Do you think they even notice with 100 tires already sitting there?

Nope......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts