Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
BMW F800GS clone. ;)
Not there's anything bad about that: the F800GS is an absolutely stunning bike (I had one as a courtesy bike during the last service and I absolutely loved it) and it's selling very well.
The only bad thing about this Triumph is the front brake reservoir which looks exactly the same as the one I had on my 1988 Transalp. :p

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
BMW F800GS clone. ;)
Not there's anything bad about that: the F800GS is an absolutely stunning bike (I had one as a courtesy bike during the last service and I absolutely loved it) and it's selling very well.
The only bad thing about this Triumph is the front brake reservoir which looks exactly the same as the one I had on my 1988 Transalp. :p
a clone...with more HP, less weight and surely less $$.
if u cant beat them, join them and out do them.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
As usual with these bikes, riding it in "real" dirt conditions would be a joke with a 400# bike, but with street tires would be a nice ride for the real world. BMW doesn't do anything for me, this bike is definitely more appealing. I wonder if it will have ABS standard?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The 800GS has 80+hp (depending on fuel and how good is the salesman). It only weighs 10kg (22lb) more than my old Transalp which had 30 hp less.
While I would see the point of less weight I wouldn't see the point of more power.

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was interested in the GS 800 too when it came out, but after reading this thread at A Roadie in Motion - Chitown's Adventure's - ADVrider about his troubles with one it had me second guessing ever getting one. It's a long running thread about his travels and along the way he bought a GS 800. It may be the only one to have these problems but when you see it sort of happening live on the internet it has an effect on you. That is a great thread to read anyway the photography is outstanding.

I think the triumph may be a nice alternative if they can keep the weight down, good for crossing continents and riding gravel roads and maybe even some goat paths. Hell the latest KLR 650 is heavy as hell, so this could probably be close to that in weight.

I'd like to see KTM make something like a 650 v-twin adventure style bike, no nonsense extras just make it so you could ride across anywhere reasonable and sometimes unreasonable and survive.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have one of these bad boys coming May 2011 :D 2012 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré Home, information

I purchased mine the 1st week of the PDP program (which began Sept. 1st and runs through March 31st 2011) so mine should be on the 1st boat over. I will begin ordering accessories for it in Jan. I have a number from Yamaha confirming my unit.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
a clone...with more HP, less weight and surely less $$.
if u cant beat them, join them and out do them.
You may be right but I'll wait for the real world tests since the hp, weight claims never seem to hold water from the press release to the magazine tests besides not really a significant factor in the adventure bike stakes tbh. $$$ - I'm not so sure they can come in at a significantly lower price point than the 800GS but if they do kudos. That said, I'm guessing once someone hits the Triumph accessories catalog it will be a mute point.

Glad Triumph came out with what looks to be a winner. The mid-sized adventure bike class is very good and competitive so the more the merrier imo.

Once again, everytime I think about getting another sportbike someone brings out another adventure bike that makes me realize what is more real world for me. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have one of these bad boys coming May 2011 :D 2012 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré Home, information

I purchased mine the 1st week of the PDP program (which began Sept. 1st and runs through March 31st 2011) so mine should be on the 1st boat over. I will begin ordering accessories for it in Jan. I have a number from Yamaha confirming my unit.
Oh my. Congrats! Excellent choice imo. I've really fallen in love with this one. :notworthy

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I definitely like the thought of the new Triumph Tiger 800, I thought I remember hearing about two versions available, like the BMW GS and GSA. One will be more dirt worthy while the other will have a more street oriented side.

The new Yamaha Super Ten looks nice but is probably a little bigger than I want. My DR 650 is a good bike but really is too heavy for serious off road riding, I would be better off with the Tiger 800 and a Yamaha WR250R to satisfy my gravel road riding and more off road riding ambitions, but I might try to build the DR before going after a Tiger or WR. More power and less weight with better suspension is what my DR needs, but it has more vibration than I like when riding paved roads right now.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I definitely like the thought of the new Triumph Tiger 800, I thought I remember hearing about two versions available, like the BMW GS and GSA. One will be more dirt worthy while the other will have a more street oriented side.

The new Yamaha Super Ten looks nice but is probably a little bigger than I want. My DR 650 is a good bike but really is too heavy for serious off road riding, I would be better off with the Tiger 800 and a Yamaha WR250R to satisfy my gravel road riding and more off road riding ambitions, but I might try to build the DR before going after a Tiger or WR. More power and less weight with better suspension is what my DR needs, but it has more vibration than I like when riding paved roads right now.
Don't pass the Yamaha off. Yes it will not be light BUT it has a low center of gravity due to placement of certain items, ie: electronics, fuel, radiator, battery and a dry sump engine which allows for more ground clearance. It also has a bolt on subframe, the tiger does not. Bolt on passenger peg brackets the tiger has them welded on the subframe. The Yamaha will have a 270 degree cross plane firing crank guaranteed linear torquey power band. The Yamaha has better suspension components front and rear. That has already shown to be a huge advantage on the bikes that are currently on the road in the UK, South Africa and Australia. Google up some off road videos on the Super Tenere, you might be surprised at how well it does off road. None of the big adventure bikes can compete with a 450 dirtbike but they are not intended to. I am happy with my choice and did my homework before selecting the Yamaha. I gave up waiting on Suzuki to produce a super Strom.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The big Yammy looks promising 'cause I hate chain on a trailie . Moving to the boonies soon to further isolate myself so need a do-it-all tank !:clapper

1 - 20 of 34 Posts