Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my first instinct is that i love this. Prevents, or at least helps, with much of the squidly noobs that get bikes....to an extent, with the young ones at least. Nothing you can do about the 35 year old divorcee looking for his testicles again.

what do you guys think? i think it should be tiered for ALL new applicants and should also limit the size of the bike for the first period, what ever that period would be appropriate.

Tiered licensing? California mandates training for under 21s | Hell for Leather

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I like the idea.

....but I have mixed feelings about it. People should be able to choose. My first bike was a Hayabusa and I'm not a statistic.

The funny thing is that the more experience that I had, the smaller my bikes became.

I went from a Hayabusa....
..to a Gixxer 1000
..to a Ducati 999 and MV F4 1000
..to a 748
..to a ZX-7R

...my next bike might be that MV-F3 675cc. :woot:

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Who didn't see this coming??? thanks to the AMA's failure to act on
license requirements we watched a little problem grow into a giant
problem of over biked and under skilled riders for decades and now
that fact has caught the attention of Government... so how can the
Dealers cry about it now??? you've seen it happen from the meat
industry to the aerospace industry and when you fail to police
yourselves the Government is mandated by the public to act...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its true that a lot of guys do fine by getting the biggest baddest bikes.

I wonder what the statistic is for new riders on 1000cc bikes?

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
If there ends up being horsepower limits for new riders it would be fairly easy with modern fuel injection to enact it. Just a map (I assume OEM map) that limits the amount of throttle opening on a fly-by-wire throttle that all sportbikes will have in the next few years. This "learner" map could then be removed with factory service software and full power given to the motorcycle owner once they qualify. Ideally this would mean they only had to buy one bike to learn and then ride.

manufacturers and dealers would probably balk at the idea however because they think they could sell them a watered down first bike then a sportbike later. This is incorrect though. New riders will end up just passing around starter bikes on the used market, IMO.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
its true that a lot of guys do fine by getting the biggest baddest bikes.

I wonder what the statistic is for new riders on 1000cc bikes?
I would wager not any worse than on a 600.

Several years ago after a Sport Rider 600 comparison I wrote them a letter they published where I said they were wrong to go on about how great a 600 supersport was as a first bike, but a literbike was way too much. My contention was that a 600 offerred more than enough performance to get a new rider into trouble. They basically said I didn't know what I was talking about but never answered my main question

<paraphrasing>
"A (2005?) 600 has the performance of an open-classer of a decade ago. So was an open class bike ten years ago a perfect starter bike, or are new riders today so much better than those of the mid-90's?"

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Opinion

I have heard the largest deaths from large CC bike is in the 40 year old and older male riding Harleys.

Harley also sells nearly 200,000 bikes a year almost all of which are over 1000CC. Suzuki sells how many GSXR1000's? I doubt if the Yamaha, Ducati, Kawasaki, BMW, Aprilia, Honda together dont sell half that many 1000 CC Repli Racers.

18 YO Squids dying on GSXR 1000's are a minority compared to the above.

I resent the nanny state telling me what I can drive. If they are going to do it they need to aim it at where the problem is.

We do have to protect the young and stupid for a period of time. After that Darwin takes over.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Who gives a ****... Street riding is a cruel joke on sportriders anyway. You simply cannot use a sportbike anywhere close to the manner it was intended on public roads without seriously jeopardizing your safety & freedom.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Im all for tiered licensing as long as its experience based, not age based.

While its tragic for the kid who died, WTF was his father letting him ride a GSXR (regardless of cc) with 0 motorcycle experience? And now they want the state to attempt to prevent other ppl from being as stupid as them? :rolleyes:

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
it's not the size of the machine that kills the rider, it's the level of skill in operating the machine or a lapse in judgement. Neither of which are related to age but rather a lack of experience...

you can die just as easily on a moped as you can on the ghostriders busa....the difference is that you have only eliminated a single variable ....of rapid acceleration .... among a slew of other significant ones still present...

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I think licensing should be based on IQ. That would eliminate half of the bozos in the War Room.:wacky ;)

If that doesn't fly then I'm in favor of a Euro-style tiered system, especially if it's for my son:twocents .
Yank the license of yahoos too. Over a hundred, running a red light, riding a wheelie, passenger without a helmet, loud exhaust, all = one year suspension.

·
virtually real
143 Posts
Here you have to take a two-day course before you can get your learner's permit. It's all in parking lot and very slow and very basic, but it does give you the idea, and it does weed out the complete incompetents. Then the learner's lasts a year basically (nine months, and, well, winter makes it a year) during which you can't carry passengers and can't ride at night.

It's a start, but I'd still support displacement tiers. I did start on a 600, but I'm not sixteen anymore and I'm very cautious.

Half the problem here is that the complete lack of any deviation from a straight line on 90% of the roads gives people the false confidence that they know how to ride.

edit: incidentally, I wonder how much of the benefit of displacement tiers isn't due to the lack of power, but due to the lack of weight that comes with a 125 or 250.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
We had a tired system in South Africa, based on age. 16 years old allowed you a maximum 50cc until 18th birthday, then unlimited.

It wasn't perfect, but strictly enforced, and I believe it helped keep injury levels down in solo accidents due to the much lower speeds.

Of course, I crashed on the way home from passing my license (hit a dog that ran across the road right in front of me). I'm sure it would have been a lot worse if I wasn't tapped out at the full speed of 50 MPH on my little Suzuki TS50 at the time, and was rather on my later big bike, the big bad Suzuki Katana SXZ1100.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't register to read more details, but the initial information posted on that link states that under 21 has to take a 15 hour course. Doesn't mention CC limits. We have actually had that rule in Oregon for a couple of years now. Next year it actually moves up from 21 to 30 and I think in 2014 it goes to 35.

It just requires them to take the MSF class, although in Oregon they don't recognize MSF and have ''Team Oregon'' which is the exact same curriculum, just the state getting a chunk of it instead.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts