Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I've had my SP1 for a year or so now and I've recently run into some pretty serious problems with my throttle hand going numb and losing all strength when riding. I've never been one to ride with straight arms or hold on to tight so I don't think that's a contributing factor here, the way things are going I'll probably have to change bikes:eek:

Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well it sounds like you know how to avoid getting numbed hands but could it be that you are getting pressure on the bars without knowing it? Different gloves does it for me but lately the vibration had my hands going numb as well. I would simply relax and hugged the tank with my thigh to get some of the pressure off the grips.

HTH:rockon

·
Munky
532 Posts
Is it the whole hand or just your index, middle and thumb? It could be Carpal tunnel syndrome. I have this problem when on the track. I found that if I do some wrist exercises before any race or session it solves my problem. I know its not the RC because it happens on every bike from DRZ's to VFR's.

Extend your arm out in front of you and pull back your fingers towards your body. There are more exercises for your wrist just do a search.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Also... WHAT clip-ons are you running, OEM or aftermarket?

When I was running OEMs I had this problem until I ditched the balance weights that is!
I've been running aftermarket Clip-Ons for years now, the BEST thing I can recommend to You and everyone, is to get yourselves a "Throttle Lock", this way you can give your hand a break while riding too!:rockon FWIW... I would NOT own a MC without a Throttle Lock!

I Hope this Helps,

·
Registered
416 Posts
Throtle Lock ??

Hey Maverick how about posting us a link to what you are talking about. By the way I love your white wheels with the Hayden paint scheme, looks right!
THANKS buddy HOOVY

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Yea Mav....throttle lock (cruise control) will help. I installed a set of Heli Bars and the different angle makes it much more comfortable also.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Are you sure that your gloves aren't too small? I ran into that after buying some new gloves. They fit my hands, but were too small once my fingers were wrapped around the bars. Other than that, you might still be putting too much weight on the bars. Stomp grip or any other kind of grip for the sides of the tank, allows you to grip the tank with your thighs and hold yourself up without using your arms as much (also keeps your boys from getting squished on the tank when your weight shifts forward).

This is what maverick is talking about:
Vista-Cruise Cruise Control - Fits most Honda (Kawasaki Pre-1982) Dual Cable - Vista-Cruise

I've used one for quite some time on the RC and it works well. I had to wrap some tape around the peg that sits between the throttle cables as its not wide enough. Not a big deal though. It's quite the bargain at $25 and you can find them at some dealers. It doesn't take much time to install, but I did have to shave a little off the inside of the ring to make it thinner and fit over the little ring that sticks out of the throttle tube to catch the grip. A little fine tuning with the pressure to get it to hold right and it works like a charm. It is highly recommended if you spend any time on the freeway.

You can also get the ones that go into your bar ends, but I haven't tried those yet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Vista Cruise Control, I've put it on all my street bikes. Makes a huge difference being able to take your hand off the throttle every so often.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If the problem is as serious as loss of strength don't rely on home-made remedies, go see an orthopedist as soon as possible! :banghead

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed a Speigler/ABM handlebar kit 3 years ago. It was either this or get rid of the bike. I've ridden approx 15k miles since installation.

You have to make mods to the fairing to make it fit. Since this is the most fun street bike I have ever owned, I got over the altered appearance real quick.

If you want some pics, PM me.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Hey Maverick how about posting us a link to what you are talking about. By the way I love your white wheels with the Hayden paint scheme, looks right!
THANKS buddy HOOVY

Thanks HOOVY... I don't have the white rims anymore BUT I'm working on taking care of that this winter, as I Love WHITE Rims!... I'll post pictures after they're fixed, it's going to be AWESOME!

For Everyone asking about My "Throttle Lock"... "b.miller" posted a link with the picture of my exact Throttle lock\cruise control... I paid approx. $19.00 for it.
FWIW and FEI., BEST Fix is>>>-----> Cut off the plastic tab and SUPER Glue the top half to the throttle cable housing, it works Perfect!:clapper :rockon

About the "Throttlemiester" buddy has one on his Kawi., and I don't care for it.... since I couldn't figure out how to work it.:banghead HAhahahhaa Not enought time trying to figure it out but my buddy swears by it. It is also around $150.00 :eek:

Peace Mav.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input, everythings stock at the moment and nothings changed recently to cause this problem, the gloves I was wearing would be 18months old and well worn in.

b.miller, what year cbr were the clipons your running? sounds like a potentially cheap way of getting abit more comfort. Thinking about it I like/love the SP1 more than any bike I've owned and I'd hate to get rid of it so I'm will to spend some cash getting it comfortable.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Make sure your leathers arent binding (and cutting off blood flow) at your armpit. Common problem thats often missed.

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure your leathers arent binding (and cutting off blood flow) at your armpit. Common problem thats often missed.

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-
Thats got me thinking, I have a tight fitting 2 piece suite for ridedays and an older jacket I cruise round the street on, I think I was wearing the 2 peice jacket when the problem first occurred. I'll have to try both out again.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Thanks for all the input, everythings stock at the moment and nothings changed recently to cause this problem, the gloves I was wearing would be 18months old and well worn in.

b.miller, what year cbr were the clipons your running? sounds like a potentially cheap way of getting abit more comfort. Thinking about it I like/love the SP1 more than any bike I've owned and I'd hate to get rid of it so I'm will to spend some cash getting it comfortable.
I believe they are from an 04-06 cbr1000, pretty sure by looking at ebay pics and oem parts stores online,

here is a link to some on ebay: 2007 Honda CBR1000/07 CBR 1000 RR Clip On Handlebars: eBay Motors (item 290471628813 end time Sep-13-10 20:37:02 PDT)

They can give you more rise than you can work with on the bike. I have mine about 3/4 - 1 inch below the triples and they are as close as I can get to the upper fairing without hitting it. You might also have to get SS braided lines for the brakes if you don't already. I have stock length (as far as I know) spiegler lines and they work just fine. Any higher and I might run into issues though. Clutch line , electric wires, and throttle cables aren't an issue yet.

The angle is the same as stock, if that is what's bothering you, this might not help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info, I'll try and diagnose the problem more accurately before I go making changes. As you say bar angle may be part of the problem.

Did you grind the locating lug of the cbr clipon or due to the fairing clearance issues did it mount low enough on the fork for it not to be a problem (it looks like from the pics that the lug is in a different location than the stock one)

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
it wasn't a problem even if they are all the way up, it just sits up inside the recessed part on the underside of the triple.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Have you tried riding a buddies bike for a day? I ride with 2 guys, 1 on an 06 R1 and one on an 06 1000rr. They both have to be forced off my RC, even though their bikes are quicker, handles better, lighter, they both say the RC51 is more fun to ride, mostly because it's more comfy. It has FBF rearsets and Heli-Bars. Just a thought, to see if it is your bike or not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts