Speedzilla Forums banner

This year's racing is a letdown...

1K views 23 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I know it's early, but after all the hype of this season...

Racing has been a little predictable this year, don't you think? Rossi is on pace to win 12 of the 16 rounds.

Mladin has won every race he's finished. Do you know his goal this weekend was to win by 15 seconds!? In race 1 he had 10 bike lengths on everybody...at half a lap!

Corser/Kamayaga have a good battle going (sort of), but they're team mates. The Suzuki's make watching both AMA and World Superbike a little boring. I really thought the Honda's were bringing the CBR's along nicely last year. Vermeulen's one performance aside, it's like watching these guys bring a knife to a gunfight.

Speaking of Waps, do you get the feeling the Ducati's VTwin is on it's way out. Watching those Gixxers pull away from those twins is hard to watch. Will that Desmosidici be allowed to race Superbike next year?

Back to Rossi. I've been rooting for him since 1999. He was always a joy to watch. Still is, except the drama is completely gone. The rivalry between him and Gibbernau isn't even close enough to keep it interesting. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I want him out of Moto GP. Go to F1 so my Sunday's will be exciting again.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (Rocket51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speaking of Waps, do you get the feeling the Ducati's VTwin is on it's way out. Watching those Gixxers pull away from those twins is hard to watch. Will that Desmosidici be allowed to race Superbike next year?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude,

Are we watching the same racing? At Monza last week Ducati had the fastest trap speeds and Laconi consistently beat Corser under braking lap after lap. The V-Twin is gonna be around for a little while longer. With Ducati, it's more of a setup issue than a power issue.

Although, I do wish Ducati would Homologate a V4 for WSBK.

G
#3 ·

you want drama?

I want to see racing. Period

Moto GP still keeps me nailed to my seat. Can't blink or I might miss something.

WSB Still rocks. Just seems that the Suzuki is Pretty untouchable right now. . The Ducs ain't dead. They still have a shot at mixing it up. Still great talent and a huge spectacle to enjoy

AMA well it is a national series with a decent amount of talent spread out pretty thin.. Still watch every round and enjoy the dicing for the rest of the podium. Zemke is a blast to watch.

Thank God I have Speed TV. 4 hours of racing on Sunday That rocks.

Where are all you bitch-fest whinny bastards that pitched such a fit that you get no TV coverage of your Motorcycle racing?

G
#4 ·
yeah I used to bitch about them, I'm over it. We are lucky we do get as much as we do being that they probably get minimal rating from it all.

So far this years racing has been pretty good IMO. AMA is just as much fun, all you do is pretend Mladin doesn't exist, which he usually doesn't because he is so far ahead, and the racing becomes pretty incrdible. The battles between Spies/Yates and Hodgson/Zemke were pretty good.
MotoGP! doesn't get any better there. Rossi is still the man, but ow is not sucha 100% bet that he will win, so it keeps you glued to the TV, like Robert say, don't blink.

G
#5 ·

The racing has been decent, but yeah, I like drama in the form of a Championship race. I know you think I'd be a fool to do so, but I'd wager a fair sum we're lookin' at Rossi/Corser/Mladin as this years Champs. They've been so very dominant already.

As for the Ducs, yep, those riders are doing a fantastic job of mixing it up on a now outdated design. Props to them. Tell yourself those bikes are competitive if you want. I count 13 Superbike races with 3 2nd place finishes for a twin.

G
#6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the Ducs, yep, those riders are doing a fantastic job of mixing it up on a now outdated design. Props to them. Tell yourself those bikes are competitive if you want. I count 13 Superbike races with 3 2nd place finishes for a twin.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand how you can say it's outdated when when in WSBK, they still haven't been able to take down some of Troy Bayliss' and Colin Edwards Lap records from 2002. And don't blame it on the tires either. Those Pirellis don't suck.

G
#7 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (Turbo329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those Pirellis don't suck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they do

G
#9 ·

I couldn't agree more with rocket51. Someone needs to inspect Mladin's bike for a fifth cylinder.
Even Hodgsen joked that they bored out the Duc to 1200cc's. I'm not sure how it's legal for the Suzuki to use the rocket fuel when it apparently won't work in the Duc's. Shouldn't there be a rule that all bikes must use the same fuel? Moto GP is still exciting eventhough rossi wins ever time. He is the best after all. What about poor John Hopkins? The Suzuki Moto Gp bike is a pile of kim chee. He'd do better on a new GSXR 1000.

G
#10 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (DocHolliday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DocHolliday »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I couldn't agree more with rocket51. Someone needs to inspect Mladin's bike for a fifth cylinder.
Even Hodgsen joked that they bored out the Duc to 1200cc's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That was hilarious. Neil had me going for a sec.

But even Hodgson in 2003 on the new improved 999 on Michelins couldn't beat Bayliss' times.

The design is fine. They just need to: and I quote: "Pull their finger out of their asses" (Thanks Mat for that one)

G
#11 ·

What about the 250s, BSB, and BSS races?

I haven't watched the 250s this season and I don't get coverage of the BSB and BSS races...curious to hear how those are going this season as far as excitement?

-Tifosi

G
#12 ·

I think the racing is great this year..

MotoGP: Simply rocks but what happen with Ducati? They went backwards not forwards. It gets old with Rossi always up front. Granted he's the best and took a machine everyone else thought sucked to the championship proving it's the rider but still it would be great to see someone else win..

WSBK: The controlled tire has given some of the closest racing in years but the tire they chose sucks. Even though bikes have gotten faster and more powerful we aren't near the 2002 records.

AMA: I'm still confused by the catagories and Matt is simply too dominate. I think they should do a complete inspection on that bike down to the last bolt. I remember when he was sucking wind with the 750 gixxer while everyone else was on the 1000CC VTwins. He cried. Now that he's dominate "No one" can dare question him. I don't doubt his riding ability and his no bs attitude but I still remember him as a whiner and I have a hard time seeing past that.

G
#13 ·

Look, man, it isn't personal. I own a twin myself. But be realistic. You're saying a 998 is a better bike than a new GixxerK?

Ducati has done an amazing job keeping the 999R as competitive as it is. But stacked up against those I4's, well...

Here's a wish list for better racing:

First - Give EBoz a factory backed ZX10R. He got so ripped after wringing the shit out of that ZX7R for so many years. It would be a very different championship right now, I can assure you. In fact, all major manufacturers need a factory backed bike. DiSalvo also needs to be in Superbike on an R1.

Second - Two Classes: Supersport and Superbike. Actually make it Superstock. Think how good the Streetbikes would get! Force Honda to run with the 600 studs in SS. I am so embarassed by their pussified race efforts..."The new CBR 600RR took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...against two Vespas and a 4 year old on a big wheel." Sorry Buell. Make a competitive liquid cooled 1000cc Superbike or pack it in. You suck.

Third - A factory backed rider is only allowed to compete in one class. This would both find new talent, and make the premier class more exciting.

G
#14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Look, man, it isn't personal. I own a twin myself. But be realistic. You're saying a 998 is a better bike than a new GixxerK?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not saying it's better. I'm just saying that as a racing platform, it's not obsolete as many people are trying to make it seem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First - Give EBoz a factory backed ZX10R. He got so ripped after wringing the shit out of that ZX7R for so many years. It would be a very different championship right now, I can assure you. In fact, all major manufacturers need a factory backed bike. DiSalvo also needs to be in Superbike on an R1. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I heard a rumor that Eboz will be back with Kawasaki for a Superbike effort. Also, If you've been buying MotorCyclist, Cycle World, and Sport Rider there's a Kawasaki ad that has Eric Bostrom in the pic.

Disalvo is not a polished racer and Yamaha shouldn't invest any additional money into him at this point. Let him win a championship first before he gets on a superbike. Any championship will do.

Yamaha needs to put Hacking on a superbike.

G
#15 ·
the 999R WSBK bikes have the highest top speeds around every track this year. The Ducati problem is not in trying to make as much power as the Gixxers, the problem is that they can't exit the corner anywhere near their speeds..this is the complaint from the WSBK and AMA guys, and they all agree the bike is fast as hell.

Eboz can't ride a Ducati, period, he needs to get off that thing now before he ruins the rest of his career.

G
#16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard a rumor that Eboz will be back with Kawasaki for a Superbike effort. Also, If you've been buying MotorCyclist, Cycle World, and Sport Rider there's a Kawasaki ad that has Eric Bostrom in the pic.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That would be nice, but I bet they'll change the model for 06. I wanted to see my bike in Factory Superbike mode with a good rider. Kawi should have givin EBoz the bike in the first place in 04. The ZX10R would have sold out faster in 04 if he rode it. At least the bike won masterbike two years in a row.

G
#17 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (SP8)

Well, I'm glad to watch as much racing as I can. I'm glad I was working Sunday, able to watch a few moments here and there on the LCDs at work, in between selling cars, test drives, etc. Even if it weren't on, I'd read about it, and did/have, on some websites and mags.

I love to watch good riders, and the riding is very good, and a hell of a lot of fun. I mean, it was this season that Rossi snuck in a tight line and beat Gibernau to the line. Vermuelen has more to bring, as does Laconi and Toseland, and I'm still thinking the R1 will get better under Haga. AMA is fine, though, sure, Mladin is just frickin' golden right now. Actually, I wish he was more cocky so that the other racers would get pissed off and show up more (hello, Ben Bostrom!?, et. al.)

This year's racing isn't a letdown the way I see it. You can lower your expectations, perhaps, but don't lower your ideals: talent's still there and things change.

G
#18 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you want drama?

I want to see racing. Period

Moto GP still keeps me nailed to my seat. Can't blink or I might miss something.

WSB Still rocks. Just seems that the Suzuki is Pretty untouchable right now. . The Ducs ain't dead. They still have a shot at mixing it up. Still great talent and a huge spectacle to enjoy

AMA well it is a national series with a decent amount of talent spread out pretty thin.. Still watch every round and enjoy the dicing for the rest of the podium. Zemke is a blast to watch.

Thank God I have Speed TV. 4 hours of racing on Sunday That rocks.

Where are all you bitch-fest whinny bastards that pitched such a fit that you get no TV coverage of your Motorcycle racing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we're still here...maybe all that bitch-fest whining got us a little better coverage

G
#19 ·
I was over at Sears Point (infine...sears point!) for the races on Sunday.
I was never a Mladin fan but I can appreciate his riding ability....he's incredibly smooth and with the 05 GSXR, he is head and shoulders above the competition at this point. Even with the 05 GSXR, Yates and Spies can barely keep up with Mladin.....
The only reason the Duc is anywhere near the front is because of Hodgson...he's pushing the Duc as hard as he can, it's just down on HP.
And Hodgson is a really funny guy....I'd buy him a pint anyday!
I have no idea wtf is going on with the Hondas....(or EBoz for that matter)

According to the mags....the 05 GSXR 1000 is only like 10 lbs heavier than the GSXR 600 !!!!
Even though the bike is amazing...not a fan of the styling. I own a 04 Aprilia Mille....now that's pretty :)

G
#20 ·

The racing is always great, even the AMA is great to watch now that Hodgson is in there.

Of course nothing is better than BSB , then comes GP and WSBK.

I never find the racing boring, I enjoy the watching the sport and I enjoy my track days too.

G
#21 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (neddyseagoon748)

The best racing so far this year has been on the SX tracks. Hopefully it's just a prelude of the MX season.

GP has in all been pretty good. Rossi looks like he's working harder than ever to get his results. AMA SBK has been a suzuki snooze fest as has WSB.

G
#22 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (MATTinMN)

The reason that I hate Mladin and the reason that AMA Superbike sucks to watch this year is that the guy takes this racing thing too seriously. He doesn’t understand that all he is doing is riding in a circle so that we can watch him.

He takes off and leaves knowing full well that he could beat everyone without breaking a sweat. OK Matt – we all know you are good!

Now Rossi will make it “look” like a race even though he has in his reserves plenty of extra speed.

Anyone remember when he and Harada (I think) were racing in 250’s and he kept slowing down to lose the lead just to re-pass again. I think he did the same once in the 125 class as well.

Look how he would hound Biaggi and now Sete just to try to get them to crack. Then when he is done playing he goes for the kill and drops seconds off of his time like it was nothing.

He was clearly playing with Edwards last weekend, and when Sete came up he was able to keep lowering his lap times.

I don’t know if Rossi is doing this for our excitement, to keep the TV cameras on him or to brain F@#k the opposition, but it keeps me glued to the TV and normally I get sick of anyone always winning, but Rossi very seldom wins a boring race. When he gets to F1 – that is going to be something to watch!!

Matt needs to realize he is just a reality tv actor and needs to work the script to keep his audience. Either that or the AMA needs to do what Grand Am racing does and add weight penalties to the winning cars to keep the field level.

G
#23 ·
Re: This year's racing is a letdown... (Eddie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason that I hate Mladin and the reason that AMA Superbike sucks to watch this year is that the guy takes this racing thing too seriously. He doesn’t understand that all he is doing is riding in a circle so that we can watch him.

He takes off and leaves knowing full well that he could beat everyone without breaking a sweat. OK Matt – we all know you are good!

Now Rossi will make it “look” like a race even though he has in his reserves plenty of extra speed.

Anyone remember when he and Harada (I think) were racing in 250’s and he kept slowing down to lose the lead just to re-pass again. I think he did the same once in the 125 class as well.

Look how he would hound Biaggi and now Sete just to try to get them to crack. Then when he is done playing he goes for the kill and drops seconds off of his time like it was nothing.

He was clearly playing with Edwards last weekend, and when Sete came up he was able to keep lowering his lap times.

I don’t know if Rossi is doing this for our excitement, to keep the TV cameras on him or to brain F@#k the opposition, but it keeps me glued to the TV and normally I get sick of anyone always winning, but Rossi very seldom wins a boring race. When he gets to F1 – that is going to be something to watch!!

Matt needs to realize he is just a reality tv actor and needs to work the script to keep his audience. Either that or the AMA needs to do what Grand Am racing does and add weight penalties to the winning cars to keep the field level.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, you're nutz. Win by as large a margin as possible. Why the hell would you want to play with anyone??? Winning by a large margin does more to hurt the oppositions psyche than toying around. Mladin is all business and no nonsense.

People just love to hate that guy.

Rossi wasn't toying with anyone last weekend. I've been questioning Rossi's edge ever since the Gibernau bump at Jerez. Confident riders don't make desperate moves.

G
#24 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dude, you're nutz. Win by as large a margin as possible. Why the hell would you want to play with anyone??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

for my enjoyment as a spectator.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Rossi wasn't toying with anyone last weekend. I've been questioning Rossi's edge ever since the Gibernau bump at Jerez. Confident riders don't make desperate moves.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well why was he sitting back behind Edwards for so long? How was he not purposely going slower then he could for the first half of the race? The guy set a new lap record on the final lap! Edwards even admitted that he had nothing more for them once they got serious and started racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.