Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night as I thought back to the days activities and Blackhawk, I realized the days main mistake:

I was thinking more about passing than I was about riding

Disappointing, really, as it's the exact opposite of what I set out to do for the day. I wasn't feeling too well to begin with, and it was another hot, humid day. So I told myself I was just going to take it easy and work on staying relaxed. It's also disappointing because it's probably not the best mindset to have in the beginner group at a track day.

Even though I felt I was being safe and fairly conservative, and no CR's appeared to have any issues with my riding, a few passes may have been a little on the close side.

Is this post an offhanded way of me telling you guys that I was getting around some guys on the day? Yeah, probably. A few turns in particular are just way faster than alot of these guys realized, I think. Turn 2 in particular ........ forget about those trees directly in front of you and stay on the gas as you kink left. Turn 6? So many guys were turning in WAY too early and it just blows the corner.

Anyway, it was a fun day, but some things left to be desired. A red flag in each of the first three sessions! The last one being on the first freakin lap. I don't know what was going on, but guys seemed a little out of control.

Also, please spare some thought for a guy that was there on Saturday. His name is Shannon (I'm sorry I don't know the last name), and he crashed very heavily. My understanding is that he is still in ICU with very serious injuries. I hope you will join me in wishing him a speedy recovery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (JamesP)

I read about Shannon and I have my fingers crossed for him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (999)

Never like to hear of another rider in the hospital. Positive thoughts...

99% of the time, there is no rhyme or reason to why some track days have more crashes than other. As a rider AND organizer, I can sympathize with you. At least the "not so great" days will make the rest of them feel that much better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

get out of the slow group. you don't learn anything by following the wrong line around the track.
there are always so many helpful people at trackdays, you just have to ask someone to spend a bit of time with you and show you the way around the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (Metcalfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metcalfe »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get out of the slow group. you don't learn anything by following the wrong line around the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. Get into I. Passing there is really a by-product of good riding, they kinda happen all by themselves. Most of the time you just slot in behind and wait for a mistake or opportunity. No one in the I group is so good that they won't run wide once or twice a session. And you should always run a slightly different line, or you will get stalled when the mistake occurs.

2 things you can do in B are blast through 2 like you want to, show a wheel (or a bike) and drop back, and try different lines into 3. There must be 17 ways to run that carrousel. Show the CR's you know how to politely send a message, but you're willing to wait it out. A great line into 6 should get you a blast into 6a. If its an R1, etc. it won't matter, but the CR might talk to mr R1, and ask him if he knows what a message is.

borgNSR
Nesba #930 "I" RC51-SP1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (borgNSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by borgNSR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yep. Get into I.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to be honest when I say I doubt my skills rank for the I group with NESBA. As I'm sure you guys know, on any given day the B group can be populated with alot of riders that may be fairly new to the track and still getting used to things. I mean no disrespect to these riders at all when I say that passing some of these riders is really just riding around them, and in no way a reflection of my skill.

While I never asked for a bump, I also know I have been observed by a few CR's and nobody ever suggested a bump. It's cool with me, they know what they're doing and I expect that when my riding warrants it, I'll see a bump.

I do feel more comfortable and (mostly) at home in the I group at STT. But that's probably because the B group with STT is more school oriented, and if there's one positive thing I can say about my riding it's that I feel I have learned enough (and put alot of practice into what I've learned) to progress to the next level. I believe moving to the next level will help me improve.

Sooner or later, if you're a little fish, you gotta start swimming with the big fish .......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, the "I" group in Nesba stands for "Intense." Its a great group to shoot for when you are ready, and you can always line up in back. Everyone is fast, handy, and know what a wheel inside means. There are almost no inexplicable traffic jams, and plenty of fast smooth guys. One guy outbraked me into T1, and I was doing a waving stoppie, on the limit. Tipped it right in going 15 mph faster and left me for cold.

I did my first track day with Nesba last Saturday, and got bumped up after 2 sessions in B. I wasn't that excited about it at first, 'cause I don't really know the track yet, so I did one more B run before I put the new sticker on. Ugh, crazy traffic. Then 1 sesssion in "I" sold me. It was the right decision in the end. The CR's in I are great too, they really dig their job.

And you can always ask to go back to B, they'll never deny you that.

Jim -outa Hoffman Estates, actually.
Nesba #930 "I" RC51-SP1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (moonshine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moonshine »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is ZRXOA???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ZRX Owners Association.

Met and ridden with alot of those guys at their rallies. Good people. I think I may have met YTrap a couple of years ago. Not sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hey JP, did you have anyone running a watch for you? You're right about the mistake per focusing on riding v. passing. However, if there's a lot of people in your group you're kinda stuck with that focus. Particularly if you are not quite used to riding with a lot of bikes on track(20-40). Better to look at what you mentioned last time-keeping your COG low to the tank, body as much parallel to the bike as possible. How'd that go? Did you feel smoother at all? Let me know when you're coming up to BHF again, I'll run a watch for ya. My driveway to BHF is less than 30 minutes. And, if you're still running the Duc I have another tip for ya. [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: This weeks track day mistakes ..... (elkheart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elkheart »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hey JP, did you have anyone running a watch for you? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you should ask .......

With some reservations as to whether or not I should (as a beginner), I purchased a lap timer just yesterday. (gulp)

Now, I am well aware of the pitfalls here, so please don't get me wrong. But as I'm working on things, the point is to get through the corner smoother and to do so with the correct inputs to the bike. This generally means faster unless I have it all wrong.

If I'm doing things right and getting faster, I want to know it. My goal is to forget that the timer is even there, and continue to try and improve my skills.

Elkheart, one of the things that was disappointing on the day was that my focus was diverted at times to getting around guys. I didn't spend as much time as I should have in working on the body position. A number of times I did have the tank under my arm like a loaf of bread, so that kind of tells me my upper body position is more where it should be. This also feels very good, I must say, as it feels better with my body against the tank as opposed to upright. Still working, though, as I'm not consistent. I'll backchannel ya .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts