Speedzilla Forums banner

thinking about it.....

2K views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
i am thinking about getting a "duc" i have a rc w/ all the mods done, just tryin to figure out which duc. will be best for me. I have always been drawn to these bikes and esp. the older body ones. but my window is open for suggestion, well I don't think I can swing the "r' model.. Just don't want to be disapointed from have I have now, because I think it is a hell of a ride....

G
#3 ·
Re: thinking about it..... (themagicalswitch)

well A83 - i had a tricked 03 RC...basically nothing left to do....until it was made dead by myself. There was a mourning time and a healing time....and then i drove to NC and back in 23 hours from ohio. Now I have a looker 998
.......with a dead battery that won't charge.......she is pretty though

G
#4 ·
Welcome to Speedzilla, A83. I have a tricked out 51 as well as a Duc 749R. I agree with the other guys that a 998 is an awesome bike. There are tons of aftermarket parts available, and you can basically create your own masterpiece. The only thing that I would raise would be the riding position. I've ridden my buddies' 996/998s in the past and I've got to tell you, they are essentially track machines. If you are used to the relatively comfortable riding position of the RC, then the 998 will take some getting used to. Got a bad or sore back? Weak wrists? Then you might want to think about a 999 or 999S. They have a more relaxed rider position than the 998. I can ride my Duc as many miles as I can the RC, although some guys will complain that the stock 749/999 seat is a plank. But if the stock RC seat never bothered you (it killed my butt, so I got a Sargent and it's awesome) then the stock 999 seat may be fine for you.

Something to think about is the maintenance cost of a Duc. The service intervals (valve adjustments) are much more frequent than the Honda's. Belts will need to be changed frequently too. If you're handy with a wrench and can get a service manual, then you can save some money. There was a thread a few weeks ago here that specifically addressed "maintenance costs" for Ducs. You should use the "Search" function to locate it. It'll give you a good idea whether you want to join the Duc fraternity. Certainly, if the wallet's thin, then you might want to think about another Japanese bike. But, if you've got some expendable income every month to play with, then the Duc's expenses won't hurt so much. Also, check around for insurance. Most insurance companies will hit you with a higher premium for owning a Duc (replacement value) but State Farm doesn't care...it usually goes by engine displacement. Check with different State Farm agents. Sometimes they quote differently...it helps to get one who is into motorcycles rather than a guy who simply sells home policies.

Whichever Ducati you choose, you'll be smiling the entire time you ride it. There is nothing like it. The handling will amaze you and you'll wonder what took you so long to get one. Don't get me wrong...I love my RC, but if I had to choose? The Duc stays, the RC goes bye-bye. Good luck!

G
#5 ·
Re: (wooleeboolee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wooleeboolee »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Most insurance companies will hit you with a higher premium for owning a Duc (replacement value) but State Farm doesn't care...it usually goes by engine displacement. Check with different State Farm agents. Sometimes they quote differently...it helps to get one who is into motorcycles rather than a guy who simply sells home policies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's odd, I've heard nothing but the opposite on this since the Ducati demographics aren't infiltrated by a bunch of zit faced star boyz crashing routinely while doing 80mph stand up wheelies through traffic. Many a poster on here went to buy a new 1000RR Honda or ZX10 til they got an insurance quote.

G
#6 ·
I had a tricked out RC as well, (shock, forks, yada yada). Awesome motorcycle for what I was doing. I'm racing a 1000 SS now, rode it on the street a bit before it went to the track and I really liked it. Great torque down low, super sound and the suspension was great for being bone stock (comes with Ohlins rear and showa forks). Don't be afraid to look at the 2 valvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.